Maryland Message Board

[QUOTE=Chipper;280567]We received no more respect after we ran all over State back in 2000. We received no more respect after taking #1 ranked Carolina to a total of 3 overtimes in 2 games. We received no more respect from acc fans after all of our collective wins over Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, Syracuse, Indiana, Marquette, etc.

Itā€™s the ACC mentality. We could go undefeated and win the NC and they would still think it was a fluke. Some ACC fans think all ACC teams belong in the Top 25 every year.[/QUOTE]

Not true. The pasting of ncsu WAS noticed as stated above, but coming close does NOT matter. Winning does, but we donā€™t do it enough to make a dent in the perception. Success has to be sustained and done on the Big Stage (NCAAs) to get respect.

[QUOTE=49er1;280607]Not true. The pasting of ncsu WAS noticed [/QUOTE] I know what youā€™re saying but we would not be having this duiscussion if we had been truely noticed and observed by ACC fans. The win over State was considered a Niner upset to almost all ACC fans. And in all honesty. I donā€™t know how anyone knows exactly what was said about that game throughout all of ACC land. We have never been recognized for having a strong program by ACC fans. Even when we made it to the second round of the dance.

Most of this is true, but I have to admit that I have never heard the ACC media talk about us as much as the year we drilled NC State in their house. I listened to the NC State radio show after the game and they were very complimentary of the team and expected us to easily make the sweet 16.

It takes more than one or two years to change life-long perceptions. And lets keep it real, they do have the number one team in the country right now and a couple of others in the top 20. We could do wonders for or REP this year by taking out Maryland and Clemson.

Moral victories do not count.

Umā€¦the ACC has two top 25 teams. One of them got beat by a team that one of the four A10 top 25 teams absolutely demolished. You do the math.

Pitt did get demolished by Dayton, but you have to take into account the fact that two of their starters are out for the year (Fields and Cook).

[QUOTE=clad;280624]Pitt did get demolished by Dayton, but you have to take into account the fact that two of their starters are out for the year (Fields and Cook).[/QUOTE]

Only Cook was really missed in the Dayton game, by the time Fields got hurt the game was already decided. Plus you could make the argument that Pitt still beat Duke after Cook went out w 4 min left in OT.

[QUOTE=ninerball49;280621]Umā€¦the ACC has two top 25 teams. One of them got beat by a team that one of the four A10 top 25 teams absolutely demolished. You do the math.[/QUOTE]

UNC, Duke, Clemson in top 20 with Miami very close to being in.

Since your doing math, What is our record against the ACC over the last 10 years.

I donā€™t care if the ACC wins another game ever, but it is hard to argue against the basketball programs record.
I have tried a couple of times and I end up eating my words.

[QUOTE=clad;280624]Pitt did get demolished by Dayton, but you have to take into account the fact that two of their starters are out for the year (Fields and Cook).[/QUOTE]

An apologist on our board?

1. Cook was out for Pitt, but Daytonā€™s #2 scorer & top rebounder, Chris Wright, played what, 4 minutes, on a bad foot. Iā€™d call that a wash at best.

2. Fields went down with 15:45 to go in the 2nd half. Score at his departure: Dayton 53, Pitt 40.

Pitt was going down even if Fields had stayed in the game.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;280634]An apologist on our board?[/QUOTE]

NA, I was thinking the same thing. Surprised he didnā€™t also point out that Kansas State was without David Hoskins (preseason All Big XII pick) against Xavier. Ditto for Providence and Sharaud Curry when they lost to Rhode Island. Geezā€¦ :rolleyes:

BTN, actually its not hard to ā€œargueā€ with their records at all. Granted, we donā€™t have an argument comparing ourselves to The Holes, Devils or probably even Maryland (given that they have a NC this decade), but Iā€™d argue we are very competitive with most any other ACC bball program. People seem to forget sometimes that the entire ACC is not like Duke and Chapel Hill. I might would give you BC as well, but who else in the ACC has really done anymore than Charlotte over the last 10-15 years?

Wake Forest - close call
NC State - no
Georgia Tech - no
Virginia - no
Clemson - no
Va. Tech - hell no!
FSU - hell no!
Miami - hell no!

As for our record vs. the ACC [B][U]over the last 15 years or so[/U][/B], it would be much more extensive if any of them would play us more than once or even in our actual home arena, but my guess (without looking it up) would be as follows:

vs. UNC-Chapel Hill 0-2 (1 road, 1 neutral)ā€¦both in OT
vs. Duke 0-2 (2 road)
vs. Wake Forest 1-1 (1 road, 1 home/neutral)
vs. NCSU 1-1 (1 road, 1 neutral)
vs. Clemson 1-0 (1 road)
vs. Ga tech. 0-1 (neutral)
vs. Miami maybe 2-0 ?not positive (1 home, 1 away)
vs. FSU 0-1 (neutral)
vs. Va. tech (home/away)ā€¦not sure of the record, but Iā€™m sure we were above .500 with them during our Metro years together.

Iā€™d say that is very respectable, considering how few home games weā€™ve had with them.

I agree record wise Charlotte is not far behind itsā€™ ACC big brothers, but from and accolades standpoint WFU is far superior. The Decs have produced 4 ACC POY, 3 ACC Coachā€™s of the Year, 10 1st team ACC performers and 5 1st Team AA in the past 15 years. No bad for the smallest school in the Mother of All Basketball playing conferences.

Charlotte got the best of them this year and I hope to see the two teams play in the future.

Iā€™m not bashing Wake, but most of those ā€œaccoladesā€ you mention (except for the AAs) were ACC awards. Kind of hard for us to win those!

:biggrin:

I'm not bashing Wake, but most of those "accolades" you mention (except for the AAs) were ACC awards. Kind of hard for us to win those!

burn.

I'm not bashing Wake, but most of those "accolades" you mention (except for the AAs) were ACC awards. Kind of hard for us to win those!

Heā€™s got you there

you forgot. kansas sucks.

[QUOTE=jayhawkwannabe;280645]I agree record wise Charlotte is not far behind itsā€™ ACC big brothers, but from and accolades standpoint WFU is far superior. The Decs have produced 4 ACC POY, 3 ACC Coachā€™s of the Year, 10 1st team ACC performers and 5 1st Team AA in the past 15 years. No bad for the smallest school in the Mother of All Basketball playing conferences.

Charlotte got the best of them this year and I hope to see the two teams play in the future.[/QUOTE]

Well, yea, how many CUSA Defensive Players of the year does Wake have then???

Weā€™ve both been to one final fourā€¦except one of us is in a conference that throws blue chip recruits at youā€¦

[QUOTE=jayhawkwannabe;280645]I agree record wise Charlotte is not far behind itsā€™ ACC big brothers, but from and accolades standpoint WFU is far superior. The Decs have produced 4 ACC POY, 3 ACC Coachā€™s of the Year, 10 1st team ACC performers and 5 1st Team AA in the past 15 years. No bad for the smallest school in the Mother of All Basketball playing conferences.[/QUOTE]

I am just wondering how you talk with your mouth full.

[QUOTE=jayhawkwannabe;280645]I agree record wise Charlotte is not far behind itsā€™ ACC big brothers, but from and accolades standpoint WFU is far superior. The Decs have produced 4 ACC POY, 3 ACC Coachā€™s of the Year, 10 1st team ACC performers and 5 1st Team AA in the past 15 years. No bad for the smallest school in the Mother of All Basketball playing conferences.[/QUOTE] I nominate this for one of the 10 most stupid posts of all time on NNN. Using this standard of measurement, Syracuse, UConn, Florida, UCLA, and any other team does not measure up.

[QUOTE=VA49er;280713]Well, yea, how many CUSA Defensive Players of the year does Wake have then???[/QUOTE]
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

WINNER !!!

I nominate this for one of the 10 most stupid posts of all time on NNN. Using this standard of measurement, Syracuse, UConn, Florida, UCLA, and any other team does not measure up.

Heyā€¦ have we restarted the dumbest posts of the year listā€¦? you know, since its now 2008 and allā€¦