Middle Tennessee Home Game 1-4-20 4:00 Tip

Poor Younger…was told to check in during crunch time for Malik when he had a cut on his elbow, and then was told, “nah nevermind” as the team sat down during the timeout. That has to sting beyond belief.

I am quoting this because it ties into my comments.

1. Ron almost blew this game. We started out the second half playing well. Martin led a fast break at around 15:12. Ron was visibly upset and called a TO after Young rebounded the ball and scored. Martin was benched following the TO. Ron disrupted our momentum with this TO. Were we not playing D well at that point which caused the TO? I don’t think that was the case as they had scored 1 point up to the TO. Let the kids play!

2. On Younger. I am not sure what the issue is with him but Ron had confidence to put him in the game with 17.9 seconds left and only up 5. He ended up calling a TO to get Martin back in the game. If he thinks he is good enough to put Younger in at a critical part of the game, why not for the other 39 minutes?

I agree.

I understand the rhythm argument too but we will have a lot of Thursday - Saturday combos this year…and if we need Younger and Brice to come in and play all out energy for 8 min a piece…I just don’t see that as a bad thing.

I would think that the minutes it saves in tired legs would outweigh any small disruption in rhythm/flow.

But that’s why they pay him to coach this team and not me I guess.

I think Vasic has earned more minutes. He was GREAT on both ends today. 14 points in 14 minutes is impressive. Doing it while playing good D is even better.

I think Sanchez not seeing his freshman year is hurting him right now.

1 Like

I don’t see this team winning many road games with their poor shooting.

we definitely need defense to win us some road games. it would help if vasic can hit a couple 3’s per game and bertram can get going. i am proud of this team and their defense and effort they play with. sanchez will continue to bring in talent but defense and effort always carry over .

Tonight we shot 48.8% from the field and 50% from three. I think we will do just fine in plenty of games at that rate.

missed free throws tonight hurt us. we are too offensively challenged to miss this many ft’s.

We are 2–0 in conference for the 1st time in a loooooooong time!

Could we say that Coach Sanchez knows what he is doing and has us heading in the right direction?

4 Likes

yes, we can say that. we play great defense for the most part. it is on sanchez to bring more shooters and i think he is but he’s building something great.

Nice win; we were still without our leading scorer. MTSU was hitting everything during their stretch. Great to be 2-0. Nice to start conference play with 3 home games!

Sitting 1st row lower level instead of normal 1st row second level makes you appreciate Robb’s toughness.

I know Stone-Carrawell has some kind of back injury and was red shirted. What are the details on his injury? He looks like an old man walking around the court and not a college athlete.

I think the Younger sub was only because Malik had blood on him. Sanchez decided to call a time out in order to clean up the blood in order to keep Malik in the game.

But why not put in one of the other 3 players that already saw time in the game?

Nice to get back to back wins against teams that have pretty much “owned” us!

3 Likes

Uhh oh! Soon we play 3 games in 5 days on the road. Harsh.

Blew a 22 point lead and still able to claw out a win. Scary, a little disappointing, but I’ll take ANY kind of W.

1 Like

Not to mention having to play on consecutive days in March in Frisco!

Need to bank wins now because the back end of the January schedule is brutal. More winnable games in February but we’ve got to be able to close out games on the road if we want to really compete in the conference and be top 4.

1 Like

He almost blew a 22 point 2nd half lead against maybe the worst team on our schedule. We beat a team that will most likely be bottom 4 in CUSA. Hard for me to give praise in winning these type games. Lose lose almost when you play bad teams. Win and move on.

But we did win and as of now it looks like we could end up lower than 200rpi. That would be good progress after hanging around 300rpi the last several years. If mr Sanchez gets us closer to the 150 mark, Sanchez gets extra credit in his 2nd year.

Teams & coaches have to learn to win in a variety of ways. Blowing a big lead and finding a way to win is a learning lesson that we had to experience to grow. We have lost to bad teams and beaten good teams…it is a roller coaster.
But we have a looooong way to go but you can see us growing, learning and progressing. We are actually winning more than we are losing with a coach and a team that is in still in their infancy.

I think it is very fair to give Kudos to the progress (recruiting and wins) already shown by one Dirty Sanchez.

I also think it is fair to acknowledge that Dirty Sanchez has us definitely heading in the right direction.

2 Likes

MTSU is no where near the worst team on our schedule.