Mike Houston or Will Healy

I think you got to factor in what Houston has done over his career because heā€™s a proven winner thatā€™s won big at every level heā€™s coached.

-Won in HS

-had a team that finished 2nd in the nation in D2 at Lenoir Rhyne and in the national title game, and hadnā€™t won any post season game since 1962.

-He took over a bad Citadel team and had them in the top 15 FCS with a win over South Carolina and the first SoCon championship in 22 years 2 years later

-Won an FCS National title at JMU and was the runner up another year

93-43 in college, with 3 national championship games.

Healy is 27-36

I said something similar earlier this year and I agree 100%. The ā€œRah Rahā€ high energy gimmick is a gimmick and unsustainable over an extended period. It works for injecting life into a sleepy/dormant/beat down program in need of a turn aroundā€¦which is what Healy is known forā€¦but it is not a recipe for growing a program into a consistent power player. At some point Healy needs to grow and change too (or he will forever be relegated to the guy that takes over a bottom feeder to get them back on their feet so someone else can take over). There does come a time where you need more than just reckless energy and hype. You do need to develop a more business like attitude and stop relying on pure excitement/energy over actual substance and talent. Play time has been funā€¦but with the jump to the AAC coming, we need to start getting serious and go to work.

1 Like

They hype is fine. In fact, itā€™s needed. But Healy is a CEO style coach and he needs fantastic coordinators to succeed, OC, DC, and Recruiting.

1 Like

Screw mike houston. This thread is like some loser pining over the person who catfished them at farmersonly.com

1 Like

Espn loves Club Lit. Itā€™s what was/is needed. We are too young and not winning enough to not be gimmicky. By the way, change the field color to bright gold. I know everyone on here would love that :rofl:. Like it or not the AD needs to do whatever to get media attention.

If we are being honest hereā€¦ Houston continues to show heā€™s a good coach, and can build. They seem to be building game over game and season over seasonā€¦ If we are also being honest, we canā€™t say the same thing.

1 Like

You are correct about the thread. My post was only intended to emphasize that hypothetical comparisons of the the two coaches is a waste of time until they compete against each other, which may or may not ever happen.

2 Likes

I think Houston is basically where I would have expected him to be at this point in his tenure. Even the last 2 years heā€™s been pretty competitive and beat a top 25 team and scared the crap out of another with lesser teams.

There is still even an outside shot at going to the AAC championship game. Navy is winnable, should have beat them last year if our QB didnā€™t get Covid and they are worse this year. Cincy has to come to Greenville and we lost by 3 the last time they played here ranked with a lot of the same coaches and players. Set up to be a big game to end the season either way.

The results are pretty predictable. Houston, douche bag that he is, has been successful everywhere heā€™s went. Healy was and is kind of an unknown. The next few years will be interested

This is going to be a big game for the program win or lose on ABC. Announcing we are back to being relevant game. Basically feels bigger than any Bowl game we will probably end up in. To host a spoil them in the playoffs or potentially have a shot at an AAC championship game if they lose to SMU first is huge.

Might be the only time in my life Iā€™ve rooted for Cincinnatiā€¦

5 Likes

Poor guy still thinks we give 2 shits about his opinion and his school.

2 Likes

There is literally a thread you are replying in currently about would you rather have our coach or yours.

but from a niner fan perspectiveā€¦ since this is a niner fan message board and all

I agree that we needed the gimmick. Hell, that gimmick, Healyā€™s personality and yes Club Lit got us the publicity needed to get into the AACā€¦which is HUUUGE for us. Especially to resurrect our Hoops program.

But at some point, it runs its course as the gimmick it is and if we want to be a serious player in football it will take much more than a silly gimmick.

The gimmick worked and served its purpose to the fullest. But if we want to be taken seriously in football, we need to take the next step and turn the page. Healy has never been anywhere long enough to do that. Not sure if he canā€¦but thatā€™s what he needs to do. Get beyond the gimmick. Less worrying about celebrating and Club Lit and more focusing on the coach, recruit, develop and play winning football.

Yep, if we canā€™t eke out a 6th win in one of these last two, weeelllā€¦.

Winning solves everything. Winning makes everything better. Losing makes everything turn into crap.

The gimmick isnā€™t an issue. Itā€™s been great to turn around the program. He can keep the gimmick or ditch it but winning is what matters now.

Also the question isnā€™t Houston or Will the question is Will or someone else. Houston is a dirtbag and an asshole. We know how the story went. Once he did his thing we hired someone else. So we hired Will, was there someone else in our radar that was a better choice? Will took us to a bowl with some of the nations worst recruiting. Last year was a wash and this year we started hot and have fallen apart. If Will replaces at least the DC I stil like Will as the right hire for us. If he keeps the DC then we have issues.

4 Likes

I somewhat disagree. Winning 8-10 games in cusa isnā€™t going to excite the masses. We need gimmicky. Whatā€™s our chances of being ranked top 25 where you start getting national attention? I know, I know, coastal and app. I just think itā€™s gonna be a long while until we are there.

Will was a bit of a panic hire likely out of necessity. I would prefer he learned somewhere else. But here we are.

He ainā€™t firing anybody.