Mike Houston or Will Healy

Will took a team that was 1 win away from a bowl the previous year to a bowl game his first year. He hasnā€™t improved since. He has regressed.

1 Like

Perhaps he was a panic hire. Iā€™m not sure who else was on the table. Yes one win away but still with literally Some of the worst recruiting classes in the nation.

We shall see about firing. This is first time Will has been in this position. I donā€™t assume to know what he is thinking. If we miss bowl I think both coordinators could be on the chopping block. If we make it to bowl then maybe one. I donā€™t know but feel pretty confident heā€™s gonna feel pressure to make a change. The defense is hard to defend by any metric.

1 Like

That team he took to a bowl had 2 NFL starters on it. Plenty of reasons to shit on Lambert but he left talent. Maybe not depth but talent. Lucky talent but talent nonetheless

Iā€™m not sure who he would hire if he fired someone. Heā€™s basically going to ask someone to come in and literally do all the coaching and player development but play second banana to his gimmick personality. I think that is a hard sell to a good coach. Likely why we have who we have now.

We shall see.

Lambert did have some talent. Never said he didnā€™t but the guy couldnt recruit, literally had local schools hating us, and he proved to be a less than good HC given his tenure. That record his last season was mostly due to Spencer running the D.

I do know for a fact that Will and the publicity he drives played a HUGE role in getting us into the AAC. He is good for TV. Regardless of his Ws and Ls - his tenure will go down as a win in my eyes just helping us get into the league.

I am not sure who he would hire either. He has more money for those guys than he did a few years ago. I also donā€™t think thats a hard sell for a coach. That is a fun exciting environment to be in. I get it you hate that model - you made that clear very early on. I really donā€™t care. I am fine with rah-rah ceo type and I am fine with no emotion hands on guy as long as we are recruiting well and winning more than we lose. I know a certain guy at FSU that may be looking for a job this off season if we go to market for OC. For the DC - I am sure there are guys that would love the opportunity to be here. The question really is does Will make the move and will he go out of his circle to get the right guy. If Will does indeed want an SEC level job some day he is gonna need to stand up and make that change this offseason. The reality is if he falters next season he could be done. That doesnt help him or us.

3 Likes

Much of Lambertā€™s best talent were walk ons like Highsmith and Reynolds. Lambert sucked. Healy is alright with me so far. Degrading him like you do is crazy talk, apparently expressing much butt hurt

You must have missed this part.

Lucky talent but talent nonetheless

You always have intelligent arguments. Iā€™m stumped and won over to your point of view.

I didnā€™t degrade Will. I just stated a fact about the team he guided to bowl eligibility.

My bad

Another metric is what kind of additional revenue has the coach been able to generate both in tickets sold and donations. Of course this one is hard for the general public to measure.

I donā€™t disagree. Heā€™s good on non-game days. Itā€™s the game day thing he needs to work on and in the end is, by far, most important.

Letā€™s be honest here. I think a lot of us roll our eyes at the rah rah stuff, but itā€™s palatable when we win. When we lose it just looks silly.

4 Likes

Again, you think we give 2 shits about your opinion on said topic. For example, posting a link to an ECU site about an upcoming ECU game.

1 Like

Itā€™s all going to depend on these last two games, I know most donā€™t agree with it but Iā€™ll be shocked if we fire any coach if we can get to 6 wins and go to a bowl game, that would mean we went to a bowl every time we have had a full season. I donā€™t think Healy will change his staff with those results. Iā€™m sure he knows the defense isnā€™t getting it done but will probably try to get more talent through the transfer portal and recruiting and hope that next year we improve.

Now if we lose the last 2, all bets are off and I would hope he hires a proven DC like Lambert did a few years ago.

I donā€™t care if we win out, Healy still needs to make a change. This defensive scheme doesnā€™t work and the offense is far too dependent on Reynolds bailing them out. Good coaches make adjustments when things arenā€™t working.

3 Likes

I think the rah rah stuff is more fun for the younger crowd than you old farts. Personally, it makes the games fun for me.

Student section has been absolutely bonkers this year, Iā€™d imagine the energy Healy and Co brings helps with that.

2 Likes

Iā€™m an old fart and I donā€™t hate his rah rah stuff. I just think he runs the risk of backlash if he takes victory laps and then we have a collapse. He knows this though.

2 Likes

The rah rah stuff makes Charlotte unique and could be a competitive advantage. It is just one piece of the puzzle. You canā€™t have bad X&Oā€™s coordinators and weak player development and expect to have a winning program.

1 Like

I think thatā€™s fair.

Oh, and bite me, lol

1 Like

Yup thereā€™s been a noticeable improvement in game day atmosphere this year and if the rah rah stuff has caused that Iā€™ll have more please.

Now the D on the other handā€¦

1 Like

A few ABC games are allocated to the AAC but we donā€™t get ABC games every year, that is in fact directly because of Houstonā€™s turnaround and potential stakes as much as Cincy, and a measurable success which you were talking about. A lot of people will be interested in that game not just at ECU but across college football with the potential playoff ramifications.

Iā€™ll take Will Houston over Mike Healy any day of the week. /end thread.

2 Likes