More coaching staff discussion

“I chose Charlotte because they were always getting in contact with me, building a relationship. The coaching staff are great and really friendly, and the college is very good with great facilities both on and off the court.”

Let’s see what happens when hopefully the staff that built that relationship isn’t here.[/quote]Well, there wasn’t much info out there on other offers, so if we were his only decent offer, my guess is he sticks with us.[/quote]

Yeah - or he says F it and doesnt come over the pond.[/quote]Or the new staff says no thanks.

[size=2][/size][quote=“moss2k, post:1, topic:29451”][size=2][/size][quote=“NinerSuckAss, post:10, topic:29450”][size=2][/size][quote=“Niner National, post:9, topic:29450”][size=2][/size][quote=“NinerSuckAss, post:8, topic:29450”][size=2][/size][quote=“anipalcraig, post:7, topic:29450”][size=2][font=Verdana]http://www.hoopsfix.com/2015/03/karolis-kundrotas-96-commits-to-university-of-north-carolina-at-charlotte/[/font][/size][/quote][size=2][font=Verdana] “I chose Charlotte because they were always getting in contact with me, building a relationship. The coaching staff are great and really friendly, and the college is very good with great facilities both on and off the court.” Let’s see what happens when hopefully the staff that built that relationship isn’t here.[/font][/size][/quote][size=2][font=Verdana]Well, there wasn’t much info out there on other offers, so if we were his only decent offer, my guess is he sticks with us.[/font][/size][/quote][size=2][font=Verdana] Yeah - or he says F it and doesnt come over the pond.[/font][/size][/quote][size=2][font=Verdana]Or the new staff says no thanks.[/font][/size][/quote][size=2][/size]

[size=2][font=Verdana]Woah Woah wishful thinking [/font] ;D [/size]

Yes. I’ve noticed that it seems like a foregone conclusion, by the majority on this board, that this staff is gone. Will be interesting if they are not.

[quote=“Normmm, post:3, topic:29451”]Yes. I’ve noticed that it seems like a foregone conclusion, by the majority on this board, that this staff is gone. Will be interesting if they are not.[/quote]If they are retained, we might as well let the curtains down and just leave the retractable rows in the lower level of Halton retracted.

Attendance will probably be bad no matter what next year, but literally nobody wants this coaching staff retained.

I think we ended up around 1800 season tickets sold this year, so at best that is 800-900 people buying season tickets. I wouldn’t be surprised to see that number halved if a change isn’t made.

I know several people on here have said they’d drop to just 1 season ticket next year if a change isn’t made. Can’t imagine they’re alone in that line of thinking.

Anyway, this player intrigues me some with his height, size (he’s not Gokhan Sirin), and shooting ability, so hopefully we can retain him if we hire a new staff.

A staff shake up would most likely result in the loss of some or even all of our recruits. I’m sure Archie Miller would prefer that Big East superstar LaDontae Henton had stayed at Dayton. And perhaps Percy Gibson’s career would have been better served at UD instead of following Henton’s lead and then languishing at Iowa State (and since transferred to Oakland). Not to mention the fact there would have been more than 6 scholarship Flyers this season after Miller did some “housecleaning” early season!

Anyway, will be interesting to see what happen with the Niners. If the staff remains, then there will be a fan exodus. On the other hand, we know that staff changes will most certainly mean both recruit and player defections.

[quote=“Run49er, post:5, topic:29451”]A staff shake up would most likely result in the loss of some or even all of our recruits. I’m sure Archie Miller would prefer that Big East superstar LaDontae Hinton had stayed at Dayton. And perhaps Percy Gibson’s career would have been better served at UD instead of following Hinton’s lead and then languishing at Iowa State (and since transferred to Oakland). Not to mention the fact there would have been more than 6 scholarship Flyers this season after Miller did some “housecleaning” early season!

Anyway, will be interesting to see what happen with the Niners. If the staff remains, then there will be a fan exodus. On the other hand, we know that staff changes will most certainly mean both recruit and player defections.
[/quote]

Assuming Judy institute the same policy then players will have to stay at least next year.

[quote=“Run49er, post:5, topic:29451”]A staff shake up would most likely result in the loss of some or even all of our recruits. I’m sure Archie Miller would prefer that Big East superstar LaDontae Henton had stayed at Dayton. And perhaps Percy Gibson’s career would have been better served at UD instead of following Henton’s lead and then languishing at Iowa State (and since transferred to Oakland). Not to mention the fact there would have been more than 6 scholarship Flyers this season after Miller did some “housecleaning” early season!

Anyway, will be interesting to see what happen with the Niners. If the staff remains, then there will be a fan exodus. On the other hand, we know that staff changes will most certainly mean both recruit and player defections.[/quote]
There won’t be a fan exodus if they are retained. If they are retained and we start 10-0 nobody will care. Nobody really cares who’s driving the bus as long it’s going in the right direction.

Right now it isn’t going well so the staff gets the venom and rightfully so. If the decision is made to bag them all, good let’s go forward. If they come back, I hope we win and win big.

No coach at Charlotte in any sport has ever bought me a beer or invited me over to their house to hang out. I don’t know them and don’t care if I ever know any of them, I just want to win again

[quote=“hootie, post:7, topic:29451”][quote=“Run49er, post:5, topic:29451”]A staff shake up would most likely result in the loss of some or even all of our recruits. I’m sure Archie Miller would prefer that Big East superstar LaDontae Henton had stayed at Dayton. And perhaps Percy Gibson’s career would have been better served at UD instead of following Henton’s lead and then languishing at Iowa State (and since transferred to Oakland). Not to mention the fact there would have been more than 6 scholarship Flyers this season after Miller did some “housecleaning” early season!

Anyway, will be interesting to see what happen with the Niners. If the staff remains, then there will be a fan exodus. On the other hand, we know that staff changes will most certainly mean both recruit and player defections.[/quote]
There won’t be a fan exodus if they are retained. If they are retained and we start 10-0 nobody will care. Nobody really cares who’s driving the bus as long it’s going in the right direction.

Right now it isn’t going well so the staff gets the venom and rightfully so. If the decision is made to bag them all, good let’s go forward. If they come back, I hope we win and win big.

No coach at Charlotte in any sport has ever bought me a beer or invited me over to their house to hang out. I don’t know them and don’t care if I ever know any of them, I just want to win again[/quote]

If they are retained there will be a season ticket exodus. Sure those folks might show back up later if we are winning but that is less $ in the pockets of the AD. I have 4 tickets - I have been to 3 games, my wife has been to 1. If Major comes back I go to 1 ticket. If we start winning with Major I will make an effort to be at more games, my wife on the other hand is probably 50/50 even if we are winning. That means that regardless keep Major is going to cost them 3 season tickets. If we fire Major, I will buy 4 again next year. I think there are a fair number of people thinking the same thing.

[quote=“NinerSuckAss, post:6, topic:29451”][quote=“Run49er, post:5, topic:29451”]A staff shake up would most likely result in the loss of some or even all of our recruits. I’m sure Archie Miller would prefer that Big East superstar LaDontae Hinton had stayed at Dayton. And perhaps Percy Gibson’s career would have been better served at UD instead of following Hinton’s lead and then languishing at Iowa State (and since transferred to Oakland). Not to mention the fact there would have been more than 6 scholarship Flyers this season after Miller did some “housecleaning” early season!

[/quote]

Assuming Judy institute the same policy then players will have to stay at least next year.[/quote] I hope she doesn’t pull that again. I think the slow bleed of Lutz players out hurt Major more than a truly awful season would’ve hurt (even though I think those Lutz players did help those teams a lot). If a player wants to go, they should be allowed to transfer, including recruits that have signed. If we want to keep them long enough to talk with the new staff a few times, fine, but then they should be released. Of course, this is moot if we have the same staff next year… :o

[quote=“Run49er, post:5, topic:29451”]A staff shake up would most likely result in the loss of some or even all of our recruits. I’m sure Archie Miller would prefer that Big East superstar LaDontae Henton had stayed at Dayton. And perhaps Percy Gibson’s career would have been better served at UD instead of following Henton’s lead and then languishing at Iowa State (and since transferred to Oakland). Not to mention the fact there would have been more than 6 scholarship Flyers this season after Miller did some “housecleaning” early season!

I will admit I am very worried about a player exodus. I usually come down on that side though. Other people want Major gone so badly they’d eagerly trade Dorn, Woods, Izundu and the rest for his firing. That seems short sighted to me. I tend to think like Hootie.

That’s why Major having to take a medical exit is the best solution to me. It’s the best chance to make a change and keep the players.

I think player exodus depends greatly on who the next coach they hire and expectations given. I think Major was told you have time to build the program the way you want. So when Shamari gives him a headache he is out. Shamari was insane, but if Major had a charge to win and win now there would have been more effort in finding a solution. If the new coach is expected to win and win fast then they will do whatever they can and everything they can to keep the current roster in tact.

As for releasing them - that is dangerous. From a what is right point of view they should - but what if they say ok we will release you if you want to go and 7 guys want to leave and it’s mid April? I really think they will keep the same policy. In addition to that the players we have now seem to be able to fit in other systems than what Bobby’s teams looked like.

It is my honest belief that no matter if we fire Major or not, we will still lose season ticket holders.

This is probably true. I think it is highly dependent on who the hire would be to replace. Someone like Hurley and I think you keep most and even have a net pickup because of people being interested. If we go total unknown again then we will probably still come out net losing.

This is probably true. I think it is highly dependent on who the hire would be to replace. Someone like Hurley and I think you keep most and even have a net pickup because of people being interested. If we go total unknown again then we will probably still come out net losing.[/quote]
that is my belief.

I also believe we’ll lose no one that we wouldn’t have lost either way.

I personally think all players should be allowed to transfer and play immediately if a coach leaves, regardless of if it was his choice or not. That should be a rule for all the NCAA not just us.

Don’t fool yourselves, they were recruited to the school by the coach. They weren’t recruited by the school to play for whomever coaches

[quote=“hootie, post:15, topic:29451”]I personally think all players should be allowed to transfer and play immediately if a coach leaves, regardless of if it was his choice or not. That should be a rule for all the NCAA not just us.

Don’t fool yourselves, they were recruited to the school by the coach. They weren’t recruited by the school to play for whomever coaches[/quote]

This is true, however it could create some situations where fielding a team could be difficult.

[quote=“NinerSuckAss, post:16, topic:29451”][quote=“hootie, post:15, topic:29451”]I personally think all players should be allowed to transfer and play immediately if a coach leaves, regardless of if it was his choice or not. That should be a rule for all the NCAA not just us.

Don’t fool yourselves, they were recruited to the school by the coach. They weren’t recruited by the school to play for whomever coaches[/quote]

This is true, however it could create some situations where fielding a team could be difficult.[/quote]There are over 20,000 students attending school, I’m sure they could find enough to field a team of student-athletes.

[quote=“J Felt, post:17, topic:29451”][quote=“NinerSuckAss, post:16, topic:29451”][quote=“hootie, post:15, topic:29451”]I personally think all players should be allowed to transfer and play immediately if a coach leaves, regardless of if it was his choice or not. That should be a rule for all the NCAA not just us.

This is true, however it could create some situations where fielding a team could be difficult.[/quote]There are over 20,000 students attending school, I’m sure they could find enough to field a team of student-athletes.[/quote]

OK Let me rephrase that - difficult to field a team that people are interested in spending time and money on. I mean imagine a team with 2 or 3 scholarship players and the rest walkons. I like the notion of not keeping a kid where they don’t want to be. Just not sure how that plays out and the long term impacts to a program. You risk the majority of your team transferring and typically little recruiting impact the first year, so it’s year 3 before you even see a team with real players and even then you have to stagger your recruiting.

Perhaps my use of “mass exodus” was a little strong, but one could argue that an exodus has been occurring nonetheless. From a program high average season attendance of 7,578 in 2004-05 to a projected all-time low of 4,265 this season (per David Scott’s piece last month), the numbers are down. A Halton Arena that is over half empty can’t be a good thing.

If the decision comes down to competent leadership versus a depreciating asset (recruits)… you have to go with competent leadership every day of the week, even if you hurt more in the short term.