Most over / underrated Restaurants

You know who has some killer sauce? Ninercentral. He makes a spicy bbq sauce that is :fire:

People love saying this but most of it is mediocre to trash in my experience. I see people cite Bridges all the time, but Bridges is legitimately the worst bbq I’ve ever had. Worse than a cookout bbq sandwich. I’ve had both Bridges in Shelby thinking I just have had the wrong one the first time, but no, they both are repulsive.

John G’s down in peachland is the shit though.

1 Like

Is it vinegar based? If it isn’t, I’m already out.

Realize that I probably posted a red herring when I talked about Alabama sauces since everyone immediately thinks of white sauce. That stuff is pretty good too, but not my favorite.

Rockstore BBQ is excellent Q, variety of vinegar-based sauces. It’s my standard tailgate fare too if anyone wants to sample sometime.

They’re Niner fans as well which is a plus.

1 Like

Rockstore is good stuff. Prices are excellent too.

2 Likes

The problem with almost all bbq is that it isn’t Kansas City bbq

1 Like

The fish burrito is superb at Carrburrito. I like the fruitas and the chipotle salsas for the chips

That’s a sad oversimplification. For the record I make three sauces from scratch of my own recipe. A western NC sauce, Sweet Baby Marc’s, a spicy Western NC sauce, Mean Little Marc’s, and an Eastern NC sauce, Mean Little Marc’s Eastern NC Spicy BBQ sauce.

For pork, Eastern, hands down. For brisket, ribs, smoked BBQ wings, BBQ chicken (not to be confused with smoked whole chicken), you want the western sauce.

Bridges (both) is ok - but the best BBQ I have ever had has been in little towns where the owner is out back smoking the pig. Most of those places are not on an award circuit or billboards - you only find them because somebody says you should go to _____ down in the holler it’s pretty good. Of course I have spent a lot of time in little tiny towns all over NC.

Best ever BBQ Ive had though has almost always come from small church BBQs.

2 Likes

I don’t claim to be a BBQ connoisseur - in fact quite the opposite. I had to learn to like it, and my tastes are still pretty picky. I like those sauces I mentioned and some dry rubs. I’m anything but the authority on the subject. But I know what I like personally.

It’s a very important subject in the south though. I believe it could almost literally start a war! :sunglasses:

Thats right! John G’s.

This I will largely agree with. I’ve run into a few misses, but generally love church, ball field, or firehouse fundraiser bbqs.

Got some at a VFA fundraiser in unionville about a month ago that was a turd and mallard creek presby bbq isn’t very good, but almost every other fundraiser bbq I’ve been to is excellent.

As a rule I agree but I will say Maurice’s mustard based sauce is solid

2 Likes

Best cheeseburger in the area by far is Britestar Grill in Mt.Holly !

1 Like

I do love me some Brightstar!

1 Like

I’ve been to britestar once. Had a burger actually and it was solid, but I’d have to put it behind brooks, dukes (Monroe), and hinsons (matthews) personally.

Best burger within 40 min of Charlotte is at Haps Grill in Salisbury. Hot dogs aren’t bad either. They have the best cheerwine too :smiley:

1 Like

I only had brightstar once and my burger was extremely salty. Is that normal?

I’m not a foodie so I find most restaurants overrated to be honest. As long as they have a game on and cold beer I can find something on any menu that I’ll eat and be satisfied with

I am kinda the same Hootie. I don’t have a sense of smell so I know my tastes arent very refined and are pretty basic.