Movies with really good plot twists

[QUOTE=casstommy;438605]I love the part where the camera pans up to the stands during the final game and there is a shot of Adam Banks dad cheering for the Hawks, even though Adam plays for the ducks. Pee Wee Hockey tearing families apart!

God that’s a fantastic movie![/QUOTE]

We are the champions around the campfire? That’s how every movie should end.

[QUOTE=EE9er;438636]The Illutionist was pretty good, had a little twist.[/QUOTE]

I actually rented the Illusionist thinking it was the Prestige. Wasnt dissapointed though!

[QUOTE=Powerbait;438643]The others wasn’t him, but 6th Sense was. I don’t really think much of him as a filmmaker. 6th Sense was fantastic. Unbreakable was okay, but forced. Signs was terrible.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, meant to say “speaking of the Village.”

I actually liked Signs. I don’t think it’s his best work by any means but I’ve caught myself watching it again when coming it across it on cable. I can’t say that about many movies.

I just think he no longer has the “wow” factor and his movies disappoint because of what he did early on. I keep saying I’ll never go see another one because of the previous one but I’m always there. Kind of like Niner basketball. You keep hoping it’s another good season/movie but find yourself longing for the good old days. :smile:

[QUOTE=jcl49er;438726]Yeah, meant to say “speaking of the Village.”

I actually liked Signs. I don’t think it’s his best work by any means but I’ve caught myself watching it again when coming it across it on cable. I can’t say that about many movies.

I just think he no longer has the “wow” factor and his movies disappoint because of what he did early on. I keep saying I’ll never go see another one because of the previous one but I’m always there. Kind of like Niner basketball. You keep hoping it’s another good season/movie but find yourself longing for the good old days. :smile:[/QUOTE]

Lots of people liked signs, in spite of the giant elephant in the room. I just didn’t dig the movie, regardless of the moronic ending.

I don’t remember who mentioned North by Northwest, but that movie rocked … I’m glad my parents got me into some older flicks.

I don’t know if it really counts as a plot twist as much so as a final-5-minutes-ties-eveything-together … but no one has mentioned Crash. That was an awesome flick…

[QUOTE=C49erMoose;438786]I don’t remember who mentioned North by Northwest, but that movie rocked … I’m glad my parents got me into some older flicks.

I don’t know if it really counts as a plot twist as much so as a final-5-minutes-ties-eveything-together … but no one has mentioned Crash. That was an awesome flick…[/QUOTE]

I liked Crash when I saw it, but the hype machine on that movie was unreal.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;438788]I liked Crash when I saw it, but the hype machine on that movie was unreal.[/QUOTE]

I missed the hype machine b/c I didn’t see it until at least a couple of years after it came out… Still a good movie…

[QUOTE=C49erMoose;438790]I missed the hype machine b/c I didn’t see it until at least a couple of years after it came out… Still a good movie…[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I caught it before the hype took over. I think we’re starved for quality movies in general so movies that are good get elevated to great quickly.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;438514]Rear window is good too. Jimmy Stewart was one of the best actors of all time.[/QUOTE]

Hitch made Stewart.
-Look at his career before he started doing Hitch’s movies and then after.

Some I haven’t seen mentioned:

Heist - Gene Hackman awesome flick.

No Way Out - Kevin Costner

The Game - Michael Douglas, Sean Penn

Angel Heart - Mickey Rourke

LA Confidential - One of my top 5 all time movies.

Shawshank Redemption - My all time #1.

You guys have come up with some good ones. The Prestige, Fight Club, LA Confidential and The Game rank pretty high on my all time list. But Sixth Sense definetly takes the cake. I was told before I saw it that Bruce Willis died in the movie, yet it never occured to me, until it was revealed at the end. However, I think Signs and The Villiage were pretty lame, and i’m completely tired of M. Knight, his movies are based on a twist, and offer very little otherwise. Two movies that come to mind that I didnt find mentioned were Jacobs Ladder and Basic Instinct.

[QUOTE=Jimmyhat49er;438859]
Shawshank Redemption - My all time #1.[/QUOTE]

That’s my #1 fav of all time too, but what was the plot twist? There really wasn’t one. Definitely a great movie and a lot of surprises here and there, but I wouldn’t say there was ever really a plot twist.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;438876]That’s my #1 fav of all time too, but what was the plot twist? There really wasn’t one. Definitely a great movie and a lot of surprises here and there, but I wouldn’t say there was ever really a plot twist.[/QUOTE]

I saw it when it first came out in the theater and all I knew about it was that it was a movie about a guy who goes to prison and how he learns to cope with life in prison. Based on that I would say the ending is a pretty big plot twist.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;438480]Coming To America…

Who ever thought the Cleo McDowell would ever have a change of heart about Akeem…same goes for King Joffer.[/QUOTE]

I LOVE that movie!

Life of David Gale had a pretty sweet twist… I knew there’d be one, but it sort of had a double twist on it.

[QUOTE=kr11;438878]I LOVE that movie!

Life of David Gale had a pretty sweet twist… I knew there’d be one, but it sort of had a double twist on it.[/QUOTE]

Ahh how did I forget that one! Good call

[QUOTE=Jimmyhat49er;438859]Some I haven’t seen mentioned:

Heist - Gene Hackman awesome flick.

No Way Out - Kevin Costner

The Game - Michael Douglas, Sean Penn

Angel Heart - Mickey Rourke

LA Confidential - One of my top 5 all time movies.

Shawshank Redemption - My all time #1.[/QUOTE]

Add Italian Job as well.

I get the feeling we are starting to confuse surprises with actual plot twists. Not trying to be picky about people’s responses, but there is a difference.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;438887]I get the feeling we are starting to confuse surprises with actual plot twists. Not trying to be picky about people’s responses, but there is a difference.[/QUOTE]

Why don’t you explain to us the difference??

[QUOTE=Jimmyhat49er;438897]Why don’t you explain to us the difference??[/QUOTE]

I mean I just think movies like Shawshank and Italian Job were well written and entertaining, but they didn’t have actual twists, meaning the whole premise of the movie that you thought you had a hold on gets turned around. Like a guy you thought was alive ends up being a ghost the whole time, the village that you were sure was a 18th century colony is actually in a modern day wildlife preserve, or the guys friend who has been with him the whole movie interacting in his life ends up being a figment of his imagination. Surely someone else out there knows what I mean.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;438899]I mean I just think movies like Shawshank and Italian Job were well written and entertaining, but they didn’t have actual twists, meaning the whole premise of the movie that you thought you had a hold on gets turned around. Like a guy you thought was alive ends up being a ghost the whole time, the village that you were sure was a 18th century colony is actually in a modern day wildlife preserve, or the guys friend who has been with him the whole movie interacting in his life ends up being a figment of his imagination. Surely someone else out there knows what I mean.[/QUOTE]

I hate movie snobs who can’t admit when there are plot twists they never saw coming and only think plot twists exist in M. Night Shyamalan movies…