Next Head Coach (candidate discussion)

No doubt.

I think you mean no question

2 Likes

Selling someone a ticket and asking them to stand three plus hours is in poor taste IMO.

1 Like

The idea is that a good coach like Houston will sell more season tickets - its not about those specific temporary seats, its about selling tickets consistently. Again, look at what FAU has done in ticket sales since Kiffin took over. Wont be an exact match, but the point is, all metrics we use to discuss things like stadium size, salaries, etc are based on recent history, which in football’s case is one of the worst performing programs in FBS. Things are not going to stay that way if you make a good hire. So to the naysayers - everything will change with a good hire - attendance, recruiting and fan interest, and eventually external support. All of it. Don’t get stuck on what attendance was in 2014 or whatever. This hire is about vision. Houston isn’t dirt cheap, but I think he’s perhaps the very best value bet on the board. $.02

Winning will solve everything, no matter who the coach is.

Athletics has $49 million in the bank from the Exponential campaign, and I think now is the time to change the course of Charlotte football. Do what it takes to hire Mike Houston, and put some real money into marketing the program. Give him carte blanche to bring anyone from JMU that he wants to–players, coaches, helmet valet–I don’t care. Let’s start winning.

Worth mentioning some of that money is from Jerry Richardson, if I’m not mistaken.

What do you all think about Hugh Freeze as a candidate?

Is that who Arnold Schwarzenegger played in one of the early Batman movies??

He’s obviously a great coach, but I doubt with all the recruiting violations and crazy legal stuff he went through that he’s on MH’s short list.

You really think CHP would sign off on that hire?

MH went for the best assistant coach in basketball so why not? Gonna take some big money to run with the big boys.

Dave Aranda, defensive coordinator, LSU

Since 2012 when Aranda was defensive coordinator at Utah State, his defenses have never ranked worse than 15th overall in the country. The cerebral 40-year-old begins his second season at LSU after three with Wisconsin as the highest paid assistant coach in college football at $1.8 million this year.

That’s a BIG Negative Ghost Rider

Hugh Freeze is a moron.

DO NOT HIRE THIS GUY!

Having watched what he did with Wisconsin’s defense, I’d be happy to have Aranda. But I doubt we’re the type of school he’d leave LSU for.

Houston #1. But what about Shane Beamer?

Beamer sounds interesting. Looks like he makes $450,000 at OU so we may not be able to give him a big raise but this would be a good opportunity to get his first head coaching job. He has worked with his dad Frank, Fulmer at Tennessee & O’leary at Georgia Tech so he has definitely been around some great football minds.

how much do you guys think we pay our new coach?

Aranda makes 2.5 million now… We have as good a chance of getting Saban.

remind me who he is again? what do you guys think about the elon coach as a backup option? turned them from a doormat to a top 10-15 program in one season. if by chance we cant land houston or the sec assistant we want, would be worth looking at.