Next Head Coach (candidate discussion)

Skip Holtz?

Letā€™s go for Bowden.

Chapel Hill spent 22 million on legal fees. They ainā€™t worried about that buyout.

1 Like

Looks like we and ezu will be competing when we both are looking for a new coach after this season. Man, they are putrid and Iā€™m sure their rabid fan basesā€™ heads are exploding.

What are your thoughts on Mike Minter? He wanted the job here from the outset. Obviously he was not ready at that pointā€¦though he could likely have done better job than Lambert has. He has done pretty well at Campbell.

Aim higher. If you take someone from a lower level, they need to have had some serious success. Minter hasnā€™t had that.

1 Like

In fairness, I could see hiring Minter as a DC.

Yeah minter would be like hiring a lambert all over again. There is no reason a school with our budget in an the conference should be trying to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

Hire a successful fcs head coach from a good fcs conference or get a p5 coordinator, or a former p5 coach that succeedes at a g5 school. Anything else will be a failure of a search IMO.

1 Like

Someone here originally posted support for Coach Boahannon at Kennesaw State several weeks back. After looking at what he has done down there, I think he would do a great job here.

If we hire a coach from Campbell or Kennesaw State I would say Hill doesnā€™t know what the hell he is doing. I think he does and he has shown his playbook. We needed a basketball coach and he went and got what many considered was the best available. I would expect that Mike would go after the same with football.

1 Like

We need a head coach, not another unproven assistant, to lead the football program.

Coach Bohannon was the 2017 National FCS Coach of the Year. He is 30-11 at Kennesaw State.

1 Like

I donā€™t hate the option. Itā€™s unique. If it allows us to win, Iā€™m cool with running the single wing.

I kinda hope we end up running the kind of offense where you have a 4 star QB throwing to 3 and 4 star receivers. Or handing it to a 3-4 star RB running behind a line full of 3 star linemen.

I canā€™t remember the name of it.

I see a lot of the better P5 and G5 schools use it though.

RECRUIT RECRUIT RECRUITā€¦find me a staff and a coach that can RECRUIT the TALENT we need to compete and win Bowl games and I will be happy.

I have no desire to have a triple option coachā€¦ its a gimmick offense

I like Bohanon until I saw ā€œtriple optionā€ ā€“ hard pass. We are in a tremendous recruiting area, no reason to have to go with that style of offense. You leverage that when you canā€™t get skill players needed compete.

Look at the kids Bohannon recruitsā€¦ all GA kids. GA has the HOPE scholarshipā€¦ keep a 3.0 GPA and go to school for free, anywhere in GA. That type of recruiting wonā€™t work in Charlotte.

I would like to see a splash hire from a coach who has been there and can bring some buzz. FAU and FIU did that with their coaches so why couldnā€™t we do it. A couple of people come to mind. Les Miles is the same age as Butch Davis and would be buzz worthy. But since this is a forum letā€™s go way outside of the box. I think a guy like Jack Del Rio would be an awesome hire. He doesnā€™t have college coaching experience, but he would be a splash hire and I think that he would do well with his connections.

Dowless, I liked your earlier post, but not this one, because I believe what you are suggesting runs the risk of being a Mark Price like hireā€¦ Especially when you are putting forth a guy with no college experience.

We are going to have to balance thinking big against proven track record. I wanted Houston, but the more I put myself in Hillā€™s shoes and mindset, the more I think heā€™s going to go much the same route as he went with Sanchez. I just hope he gets a guy who can build and mend bridges across the Carolinas, bust especially in the CHARLOTTE MSA - basically an hour to hour and a half drive in any direction of campus. That will also be highly dependent on his RC hire too.

And no gimmick offenses like the single wing, etc. Iā€™d love a complete team, but I think honestly that our fans would be happy with a hire powered offense that keeps us in any game.

I donā€™t care who it isā€¦ I just want them to have a certain baseline of competenciesā€¦

Iā€™d prefer a guy thatā€™s been a head coach elsewhere first and foremost. Understand how to run an entire program is worth its weight in gold I think. Being able to apply lessons learned rather than every thing being a 1st is important.

Recruiting. Next guy needs to understand the gold mine (no pun intended) this city, and region potentially offer. Need to build a grass roots system in this city unlike Lambert and his stooges.

Imagination. Offensive feel, a defensive identityā€¦ SOMETHINGā€¦ Iā€™m tired of watching mediocre vanilla in all facets of the game. Have an identity.- please.

Standards- Iā€™m tire of the aww shucks routingā€¦ I want accountability from the staff and players

2 Likes