Official NNN Game of Thrones (HBO) thread

[quote=“Powerbait, post:38, topic:25259”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:36, topic:25259”]And this is why I hate HBO.

Game of Thrones Season 2------------------->Spring 2012.[/quote]

What is bad about a one year wait? You’d rather they churn out repetitive crap like networks?[/quote]

There’s some truth to this. Sometimes less is more. But as a fan of the show, I hate that I get 2 months of programming and then wait 10 months for it to come back.

I still haven’t watched like the last 4 episodes of the show. I guess it helps that I already know everything that will happen, but even on a show like the Killing, I went to bed last night instead of seeing the season finale.

I know some of you guys had read the books, so there was anticipation of losing main characters quick. But I think losing epic characters like Ned Stark, Drogo and King Robert so early is going to be hard to recover from. I would have even liked to see more of Syrio and Benjen Stark.

That’s probably a huge factor. If you already know what’s going to happen it’s not as big of a deal to wait for the next season.

One of my favorite viewing experiences was Lost. I didn’t watch it when it originally aired, except for the final season. So I was watching almost entire seasons over a weekend and didn’t have to wait 6 months for the next episode to air.

Good lord, you will contrarion troll anything.

I’ve watched both shows. in my opinion, and everyone else’s in my house hold (and my in-laws FWIW), True Blood is shit and GoT is damn good, though not perfect. So chalk up about 5 more votes for GoT.

I hate the wait, but I understand. Sucks that they are still making casting decisions given the fact they greenlighted season #2 over 2 months ago. But if the time frame means they can make it better, then so be it. As I said before, George RR martin is writing one of the key conflict (battle) episodes. He is really sturggling to make it filmable. I hope he takes the time and care to write it so that it works without removing the scale and epicness of that event.

I know some of you guys had read the books, so there was anticipation of losing main characters quick. But I think losing epic characters like Ned Stark, Drogo and King Robert so early is going to be hard to recover from. I would have even liked to see more of Syrio and Benjen Stark.[/quote]

It sucks that the story calls for the loss of an actor like Sean Bean, who isn’t a master thespian, but he did have the gravitas that Ned’s character required (though I never felt like he looked like I pictured Ned).

However… change your expectations with this series. Other writers covet and protect their key characters because that’s all they have in the well, and they don’t want to write new ones. Not Martin. Ned’s dead, but some additional interesting folks will take his place. that said, I can understand re: Syrio Florel. I could say more, but I don’t want to ruin the plot for you, and frankly, I don’t know for sure anyway. No one does.

Thanks. I did think about that, that they never actually showed him die. It would be a good twist.

In regards to Ned, just seems more believable, to me, having an older guy being the king/leader. We already have a crazy young king character in Joffrey.

I could explain why we don’t know about Syrio, but it would kinda ruin it. Let’s just say that even the book readers aren’t sure if he’s dead. Not yet anyway.

Good lord, you will contrarion troll anything.

I’ve watched both shows. in my opinion, and everyone else’s in my house hold (and my in-laws FWIW), True Blood is s*** and GoT is damn good, though not perfect. So chalk up about 5 more votes for GoT.

I hate the wait, but I understand. Sucks that they are still making casting decisions given the fact they greenlighted season #2 over 2 months ago. But if the time frame means they can make it better, then so be it. As I said before, George RR martin is writing one of the key conflict (battle) episodes. He is really sturggling to make it filmable. I hope he takes the time and care to write it so that it works without removing the scale and epicness of that event.[/quote]

Game of Thrones is about as good as the book. I imagine the next couple of seasons will be good and then I hope the series is stronger than the books because, wow book four was awful. But, for the most part, I was hoping they would do like so many other premium series have done and take the source material and make it better.

True Blood is amazing. Season 3 was one of the best seasons of a show ever. First two seasons were inconsistent, but wow, season three whipped ass.

We have incredibly different tastes PB.

FWIW, my in laws were watching TB last night and laughing at how awful it was.

diff’rent strokes.

Maybe so.

True Blood is supposed to be funny. It is intentionally very campy and over the top. If it took itself seriously, I don’t think I could watch it. But it doesn’t and that pays off huge dividends. Jason Stackhouse is one of the greatest TV characters of all time. His development over the show is amazing.

Game of Thrones takes itself and its subject matter very seriously and I get it. But the source material is an average fantasy series with a bloodthirsty author.

Spoiler:
I get how the ultimate clash is going to be Jon Snow vs Danerys vs White Walkers, but I still think it is a mostly directionless story. Book 4 was just sooo pointless.

Spoiler!!!

Jon Snow is the son of Lyanne Stark and Rhaegar Targayren and thus Danery’s nephew. And no that’s not in the book series yet but even blind Aemon Targayren could see that one coming.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:52, topic:25259”]Spoiler!!!

Jon Snow is the son of Lyanne Stark and Rhaegar Targayren and thus Danery’s nephew. And no that’s not in the book series yet but even blind Aemon Targayren could see that one coming.[/quote]

That doesn’t happen. We know who Jon’s mother and father are.

We do? LOL

Yes. Jon Snow’s mother’s name is revealed in the books and his father is Eddard Stark. It isn’t a secret. Also, he has the wrong complexion for your scenario.

Well shit, now I don’t even want to watch the rest of the series. Bah! Hombug!

I thought the season finale was fantastic. I actually think the series may be better for people like me that haven’t read the books. Therefore, all of this stuff is new to me. I really like it.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/06/20/miss-usa-game-of-thrones/

Thank you for putting spoilers in white text. Even then I almost tried to read them, but because it was more difficult to read I didn’t.

No problem. I’m not trying to ruin anything for anyone.