Official Stadium Construction Thread 🏟

As an aside, black turf in the end zones looks better than the Charlotte green…much more complimentary with the green turf. Either make the end zones black or leave them unpainted with just lettering.

If we can get to a place where we can fill something like that…wow :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I am once again here to request a natural grass surface like all the big names have. Have unique painted fields is one my favorite things in football!

No body is hiring a grounds crew staff.

Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Oregon all use Fieldturf.

I don’t see us needing that fully expanded stadium in my lifetime unless there are some major shifts in college athletics. Honestly I’m not sure we need 30k given trends.

3 Likes

We need 30k for a successful team for sure. Especially for rivalry and other stronger draw games.

3 Likes

If we can catch lightning in a bottle and mimic the success of UCF we will need the 45K. They have no problem filling the bouce house.

I hope so.

My over all view of college athletics and what’s stacked against has me as negative as I’ve ever been. Questioning if this is even something I want to support.

2 Likes

It’s 30k 6 times per year. Figure 20 something average attendance. That is not much at all for a top end G5 program in a major population center like the Charlotte MSA.

Our rivals like to make fun of our attendance, even while they are busy inflating theirs. The truth is, we drew surprisingly well at times given the lack of success we have had most seasons.

I fear the opposite just as much. If the team is anywhere near as good as Poggi brags it will be, and we get on a roll, we are going to have some irate fans who can’t get a seat. Especially before we expand but potentially after if it’s a multi year thing.

We like to bring up UCF’s success all the time, but what about their failures? Their worst seasons you could almost literally count the fans in the stands on 2 hands. We have NEVER come close to having attendance be that poor.

I still think they are the model to emulate. I think we can watch them best case. But even if not, 30k is pretty solid.

We will get there if Poggi wins enough games. The problem has been not winning enough games. We have so many damn imports here from other states now, that they are a large untapped market. I bet many here in Charlotte would find themselves rooting for a successful football team. Notice, that I didn’t write “root for a successful outcome”.

1 Like

If we are planning to expand, i dont see why we dont bing in 3-5k temp stands untill we do expand. Figure out how to sell those seats now. Not to mention actuality having some sideline seats the general public can actuality purchase. I know several people who have come to games and sat behind end zone, enjoyed the game but hated sitting in those seats.

4 Likes

You do realize that UCF has like 65,000 students right? Not sure the comparison is reasonable.

USF has 55k, don’t translate to butts in seats.

Per their Wiki page, UCF had almost 68,500 students enrolled during the Fall 2022 semester.

We brought in temporary seating when we played App at home. I think it was either 3k or 5k which sold out. I would think we will do the same this year if we are wiinning and selling out

If athletes are going to whatever college pays the most , college sports becomes no more than minor league professional sports instead of Big Time College Athletics!!

1 Like

Exactly and I don’t donate to professional sports and I don’t really pay attention to them. Our students shouldn’t have to fund it. These kids are turning into just hires guns. They don’t care about our school. Just not sure this is a model I care to participate in.

What part of UCF will we be emulating? They brought in great experienced Coaches, great Coordinators and have had great QBs. Which has allowed them to compete or Win conference championships.

When will we start the emulation? And in which area… the stadium??:grin:

For example Malzahn has a National championship and they are paying him between $2.5m - $4m per year.

UCF has had 12 head coaches since organized football began in 1979.[226] Gene McDowell, George O’Leary, Scott Frost, and Josh Heupel have led the Knights to the postseason. O’Leary, Frost, and Heupel have coached the team to an FBS conference championship, and a BCS/NY6 bowl game. Before leading UCF in 1983 and 1984, Lou Saban was a head coach in both the American Football League (AFL) and the NFL.[227] O’Leary also coached in the NFL between 2002 and 2004.

Coach Tenure Record Bowl/playoff record Pct
Don Jonas 1979–1981 14–12–1 .537
Sam Weir 1982 0–10 .000
Lou Saban 1983–1984 6–12 .333
Jerry Anderson 1984 1–3 .250
Gene McDowell 1985–1997 86–61 3–3 .585
Mike Kruczek 1998–2003 36–30 .545
Alan Gooch 2003 0–2 .000
George O’Leary 2004–2015 81–68 3–4 .544
Danny Barrett 2015 0–4 .000
Scott Frost 2016–2017 19–7 1–1 .731
Josh Heupel 2018–2020 28–8 1–2 .778
Gus Malzahn 2021– 18-9 1-1 .667

Don’t believe Scott Frost or Josh Heupel had been FBS head coaches before UCF…

O’Leary went 52-33 in his only prior FBS HC stint, but that translated to 0-11 his first season heading the Knights.

2 Likes