Official Stadium Construction Thread 🏟

They’re continuing that trench along the western permimeter of the upper fields today. It looks like they have a couple huge dump trucks (like you’d see in a quarry) running back and forth, dumping the dirt in the southeast corner of the jobsite, where they’re cutting the trees. Those truck drivers look like they’re having a good time, flooring it back and forth, and hitting the ramp from lower to upper fields at a decent speed.

Are they raising the lower field or lowering the upper field? Or a combination of both?

I think they are lowering both. Field level will be 25’ below the exiting parking lot level. They are using the cut from that area to fill the wooded area and build our practice fields.

You’d prefer dreads hanging down to his ass, just to make it look “contemporary”? :)) What ever they make him look like, in 10 years it will look “dated”, but guess what, that’s the beauty of statues. They reflect “tradition”, something a lot of us here vocally yearn for at this school, but the reality is you can’t establish tradition if it’s constantly “confronted” or questioned by folks concerned or embarrassed by anything they consider “old school”, at best, or totally antiquated, at worst.

I have another spiel about “tradition” in another thread that is along these same lines. But I do believe in change, but the reality is, too much change, and/or too fast change negates the concept of tradition. We can’t have it both ways. [/quote]

Looks like Presby College has the exact same statues on their campus.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/gallery/enlargePhoto?id=3162978&story=3162742

I would rather have something unique to our school instead of a generic athlete statue.

Just stopped by the field (sorry, left the camera at home). The parking across from Duke is gone now. You can still park across from EPIC. That trench from yesterday is now 50 feet wide, it then continues around the edge of the rounded parking. There’s one fairly large boulder in that part they haven’t moved yet.

Mr. Boj is probably right about them lowing the upper field to the lower field level, which is interesting cause that’s not been shown in any renderings so far. I think they’ll just lower the rest of the field in the middle though below that level. Near where the treeline used to be on the lower field they looked to be redistributing the dirt from the upper field. They left a grove of trees in the middle and completely cleared the trees around it. No idea if they plan to leave that to partially block the practice fields or if the terrain was difficult and they go in later to clear it out with chainsaws.

Y’all are lucky I had a reason to go back out. :wink:

Looks like we’re going to win our football games WW1 style.

From photo 4, it looks like they have already hit rock. I hope they have taken that into account with the schedule and budget. Could be a lot more out there.

We def need to take a sat in the fall and go tailgate the construction.

From photo 4, it looks like they have already hit rock. I hope they have taken that into account with the schedule and budget. Could be a lot more out there.[/quote]

Anyone that has a Bobcat please get this rock for 49erfootballnow, I’m sure the first rock found on the football site would be a good keepsake for him.

From photo 4, it looks like they have already hit rock. I hope they have taken that into account with the schedule and budget. Could be a lot more out there.[/quote]

As much rock as there is on campus I would be shocked if it wasn’t bid unclassified which would put all the liability on the contractor with regards to rock/soil conditions.

As much rock as there is on campus I would be shocked if it wasn’t bid unclassified which would put all the liability on the contractor with regards to rock/soil conditions.[/quote]

Didn’t that happen with Halton? The contractor went broke because of the amount of rock found? Or is that just a Charlotte Urban Legend?

As much rock as there is on campus I would be shocked if it wasn’t bid unclassified which would put all the liability on the contractor with regards to rock/soil conditions.[/quote]

Didn’t that happen with Halton? The contractor went broke because of the amount of rock found? Or is that just a Charlotte Urban Legend?[/quote]

Urban legend…the company did go broke but not for that reason.

Didn’t that happen with Halton? The contractor went broke because of the amount of rock found? Or is that just a Charlotte Urban Legend?[/quote]

Urban legend…the company did go broke but not for that reason.[/quote]

I heard the company went broke because of Bonnie Cone’s grandson…

Urban legend…the company did go broke but not for that reason.[/quote]

Thanks - half true half legend and now I know!

Rodgers has built so much stuff on our campus I’m sure they knew what they were getting into.

Shallow bedrock is not an uncommon condition. I’ve been to plenty of job sites with rock outcropping.

They have already performed the borings and I’m certain that they took long samples of rock cores and investigated the depth and hardness of the bedrock. And I’m certain there’s a geotech investigation report with all the findings. If the contractor doesn’t know exactly what he’s getting into, he’s either an idiot or he’s about to get a nice settlement from the people who did the study incorrectly.

Anyone who knows anything about the geology of that area KNOWS about the rock out there. When they were building the Charlotte Motor Speedway back in the late 50’s, early 60’s, the rock they ran into almost bankrupted the project. Look it up.

Anyone who knows anything about the geology of that area KNOWS about the rock out there. When they were building the Charlotte Motor Speedway back in the late 50’s, early 60’s, the rock they ran into almost bankrupted the project. Look it up.[/quote]I was told Halton actually did bankrupt the contractor who built the project. I don’t know if there is any truth to that, but the guy said he worked on Halton and they had to blast a lot of stone they weren’t expecting.

Nothing too different today except they pulled the rock out and found another.