Opener @ JMU 11/6

Especially Kenny, he dies at the end of every show.

You bastard!

Started off good until the 6 min mark of the 1st half and then couldnā€™t make a shot

Played 11 guys. I havenā€™t seen the minutes. Williams came in and knocked down some quick shots.

Bertram and Edwards combined 1/13 from 3pt. Almost half of the shots were 3s and only shot 27%.

Honestly thought weā€™d get this one in a mild surprise. I guess I need to manage my expectations better.

1 Like

I think getting so hot from 3 hurt us later in the game. The open threes were coming in the flow of the offense at first but we seemed to be settling for long jumpers as the game progressed. The zone stifled is as well, expect to see more of that till we can prove we are effective against it.

The D was inconsistent but should improve as the season progresses. Itā€™s a bummer not to get the W after getting off to such a great start but there is some potential on this team. Thereā€™s a lot to clean up though to get us to live up to it.

I guess the one positive takeaway is the way we played the first 14 minutes of the game. I listened to the radio broadcast so didnā€™t actually see how we played but it sounded like everything was going great until the last 5 or 6 minutes of the first half. Did sound like we fell in love with the 3 pointers & didnā€™t look for good shots. Iā€™m surprised by that & what sounded like terrible defense. Good defense & not taking bad shots are supposed to be the keys to running this system. Anyway weā€™re young & havenā€™t played together so hopefully this game gives the coaching staff a lot of material to help teach what not to do. Really hoped we could get this one but maybe it helps get the players attention better than squeaking by with a sloppy win. They definitely have a lot to work on at practice.

Surprised me that Bamba played 26 min compared to Supica 14 min. Supica seems to be way better on both ends of the floor.

clt says we arenā€™t Syracuse, so we have that going for us

Nor are we Grand Canyon, which lost to D-Ii Davenport (actually in Michigan, not Iowa) after the latter had been blitzed by 50 points three nights earlier vs Lincoln Memorial!

Nor are we Nebraska, which got run out of its home gym by UC-Riverside 66-47.

Younger only played 2 minutes. Is he hurt, in doghouse, or just not considered better than other options?

I think itā€™s the latter.

Coaches need to stop the bleeding if the 3ball isnā€™t falling. too much dependency on the 3. need to try for easier shots, 10ft in. need better communication on D and close gaps quicker.

shep and young looks to be a good threat

Honestly, I am very positive about this roster and I think we will be much better by mid-season. Having said that, when I looked at the schedule (even before last night) I thought a 1-4 or even 0-5 start was possible, although I still hope to be wrong. However, after the first 5 games, I see the next 5 games (6-10) as all being possible victories because I think we will be better after a few more games AND the opponents in games 6-10 appear weaker than opponents 1-5.

Iā€™m ok after this loss. We have lots of new pieces, that will hopefully gel as the early season progresses. The key thing for me to watch is our Defense. It was atrocious last night, and has to get better if we are going to be a defense first team like we have preached. I was blown away with the lack of presses and wide open shots we gave up. Hopefully this will get much better as we move along.

3 Likes

This bothered me the most too. Our defense against uga was solid so im not sure what happened.

Yep, the Hoiberg era didnā€™t exactly get off to a good start in Lincoln. Fewest points ever scored by one of his collegiate teams and got hammered on the boards by 20 to a team picked 7th in the 9 team Big West.

The Lincoln Memorial is really slow getting up and down the court. Hard to score upon when camped out in the lane, though.

1 Like

Bad shooting nights happen, but some of these guys arenā€™t good enough defensively to justify minutes if they canā€™t score at all.

Edwards got better late, whereas Shepherd cooled down late.

Williams had a really good debut IMO. Young as well.

Gave up a ton of layups, and they were awful from the charity stripe.

Not a terrible debut, but I did think after the first 10 minutes we would finish better than we did.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t see the game, but I listened and looked at the stats. I think Young played pretty well. The lack of assists shows that we didnā€™t move the ball well enough through him. He hit 50% FG and 43% 3pt which isnā€™t bad for a guard. Only 1 TO in 35 minutes from a PG in the opening game is the most impressive stat to me. He needs to hit his FTs if he wants to be clutch. Only took 3 so he could be better than it shows.

Brice Williams seemed to play well on offense. 11 points in 17 minutes on 57% shooting is pretty good. He also had 5 rebounds in 17 minutes which is good to see.

Bertram just didnā€™t have his shot falling. It happens so not too much to worry about.

Supica needed more minutes as he was highly productive on the offensive end. I donā€™t know about the defensive end and maybe that is why he was limited.

I think it is really early, but we should see incremental growth as the games progress. Martin should get more run as he returns to basketball shape. This is about what I expected from the first game. We will be ready by conference play which is really all that matters anyway.