Opening day...

I’m sure this has already been said here…BUT this is the YEAR OF THE PIRATES!!! Go BUCS!!!

[QUOTE=49or bust;228873]

FACT: A 3 hour game of baseball was clocked with a stopwatch when action started and stopped, and was found to have something like 9 minutes of actually play in it.[/QUOTE]

Are you from America? :lol:

The Braves are undefeated and back in first in the NL East. Hopefully this year will start another long streak.

Me too! I want that shirt! :clap:

www.bustedtees.com

Only comes in the blue tho… it’s like $14. Bunch of good t-shirts on there.

[QUOTE=49or bust;228873]I think they were wrong or watched a bad game. Then again, I saw a very good game so I may also have a distorted perception. But I don’t see how anything could be slower than baseball. Baseball takes like a minute to get 2 damn pitches in. Cricket can go through 4 overs in a minute I bet. And the pitchers don’t stand around wasting time or throwing to check first base every other minute.

FACT: A 3 hour game of baseball was clocked with a stopwatch when action started and stopped, and was found to have something like 9 minutes of actually play in it.[/QUOTE]

and that’s different from football how?

Tintin

Nobody will touch the nasty boys. Soriano+Gonzo+Wickman=Game over. Outside of Glavin, Wagner and just so I don’t get hounded, John Maine who can the Mets throw out on the mound that’s worth a doo doo? Pitching is what wins. The Mets don’t have it.

[QUOTE] Funny coming from a fan of the team that traded Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano…[/QUOTE]

The thing is, I’m kind of happy for that trade b/c it got Duquette fired and Omar in. I trust in Omar 100% now, everything he touches turns to gold. Case in point being John Maine. Everyone thought Maine was a throw in when he was traded with Jorge Julio for Kris Benson. But, at the time and before Maine blew up, Omar stated that he said he wouldn’t make the trade unless Maine was included, he then proceeded to trade Julio and keep Maine who turned into a good #3 for us and is still growing.

Also, for the guy who said the Mets will win one division title every 18 years or whatever, get used to it being a yearly thing. For all the criticism on ESPN about our staff we are actually a very young team. Wright just turned 24, Reyes is 23, Beltran is 29, Milledge is looking like a cant miss prospect and is 21, Maine an 25, Perez is 25, Pelfrey is 23.

And the Mets farm system was rated highest in the NL East by Baseball America this year. We have a few old starters but we have Maine / Perez / Pelfrey as young guys with a couple more young guns in the minors. Philip Humber is 24 and was rated as highly or higher than Verlander coming out of college and dropped to the Mets at 3 or 4 b/c of signability issues. He had to get Tommy John but pitched very well last year and should be ready for the show next year. We have a young 18 year old stud in Deolis Guerra that Omar signed out of Latin America. He has a 2.20 ERA last year in A ball as a 17 year old.

At the other positions we are aging at, except second, we have young guys who are hot prospects to replace them. We have 2 hot young OF prospects, one is 21 year old Carlos Gomez who has been putting up similar minor league numbers to Milledge and has a better arm and is faster. In fact, even Jose Reyes admits that Gomez is faster than Reyes. We have a 18 year old stud named Fernando Martinez that hit .333 as a 17 year old in A ball last year. He is a CF that could be moved to first when Delgado leaves if Milledge and Gomez both pan out. Omar signed the hottest young Latin prospect last year to, 16 year old catcher Francisco Pena. He is Tony Pena’s son and supposedly already has a better arm than his gold glove winning father.

Like I said, get ready for the dynasty. Hopefully all these guys pan out, but if they don’t the Mets have plenty of money to spend with veterans coming off the books and the opening of a new stadium and new tv network. And if neither of those work out Omar has the best connects in Latin America and is signing some of the best young Latin talent out there. For every guy that is aging and declining we have a guy like Reyes coming into his own. For every old guy that is only here for one more year like Alou or Green we have a young stud ready to step up like Fernando! or Gomez.

[QUOTE]Outside of Glavin, Wagner and just so I don’t get hounded, John Maine who can the Mets throw out on the mound that’s worth a doo doo? Pitching is what wins. The Mets don’t have it.[/QUOTE]

Pittsburgh nearly ruined Oliver Perez by jerking him around but 2 years ago he was THE best young pitcher in baseball. He is still young and did very well last year in the last couple of months and playoffs. Pelfrey is one of the top young prospects in baseball, we have another young guy in Humber who is one of the top prospects, we have Duque who is still servicable.

Here is what I don’t get about the pitching (just from a begining of the year standpoint)
2006 Pedro > injured Pedro
Glavine = Glavine
2007 Duque > 2006 Trachsel
2007 Maine > 2006 Victor Zambrano
2007 Perez > 2006 Brian Bannister
2007 Pelfrey > or = 2006 Maine
2007 Aaron Sele > 2006 Jose Lima
2007 Chan Ho Park > 2006 Geremi Gonzalez

The Mets pitching staff on paper this year is much better than last years. Other than Pedro getting injured, the Mets look as good or better at every pitching spot.

[QUOTE=CallMeCornbread;228913]Nobody will touch the nasty boys. Soriano+Gonzo+Wickman=Game over. Outside of Glavin, Wagner and just so I don’t get hounded, John Maine who can the Mets throw out on the mound that’s worth a doo doo? Pitching is what wins. The Mets don’t have it.[/QUOTE]

Guy, no offense, but you gave Jason Marquis over 5 million a year.

Hernandez is decent if he can even make 20 starts this year because let’s face it, he’s extremely injury prone. Last year was the only year he’s won 10 games in the past 7 seasons. And he went 11-11 with a 4.66 ERA.

Perez for one season was considered a promising young arm. That’s the year he went 12-10. The year before he had a 5.47 ERA and last year he went 3-13 with a 6.55 ERA. And that’s including 1-3 with a 6.38 after he got to New York. He had one good year and since then he’s been getting pounded. Sure, you could blame it on the fact that he played for a lousy franchise in Pittsburgh but that hasn’t stopped Zach Duke from going 18-17 over the past 2 years, Ian Snell from going 14-11 last year and Paul Maholm going 8-10 last year in 30 starts (which is a far cry from 2-10 Perez boasted in just 15 starts).

Pelfrey is a good young arm, you’re right about that. But will he have an immidiate impact?

Humber is nothing great at all. He’s the 58th ranked pitcher in the minor leagues. He’ll be an average major league pitcher.

You’re just depending on a couple of 40+ year old year old pitchers and guys that have had little to no big league success to date. It’s not the worst pitching staff in the majors. I’m not saying that at all. I’m sure every person overvalues their team’s players and undervalues everyone else’s. I’m just saying the Mets rotation has a LOT of question marks.

And Charlotte2002… you have no idea what you’re talking about. Jason Marquis plays for the Cubs. He hasn’t played in Atlanta since the 2002-2003 season.

To sum up: Even a blind squirrel finds a nut (The Mets last year). And the Braves will regain their rightful spot at the top of the NL East this season.
:toast:

What does Jason Marquis and how much the Cubs pay him have to do with anything? Everybody in the East besides the Braves talks about what they will do every year while we dominate the division. Hold off the dynasty talk for now and focus on the regular season.

Are you from America? :lol:
Yes, but not early 20th century America when most Americans cared about baseball. I bet if you did a scientific poll, most Americans today would not care much about baseball or would at least not have it as one of their top 3 favorite sports.

But I will admit, I am a far more European influenced American than most. I’d much rather watch the EPL, SPL, or UEFA cup than baseball anyday.

In any event, football is the modern American pastime.

and that's different from football how?

Tintin

Are you serious? A football game is much faster paced. Sure one play might take only a few seconds, but usually a play takes much longer than any play in baseball, even if there is actual action going on in the baseball game. The last few minutes of a remotely close football game have some of the best action in all of sports. The hurry up offense is an amazing thing to watch.

[QUOTE=ewcoold;228925]Pittsburgh nearly ruined Oliver Perez by jerking him around but 2 years ago he was THE best young pitcher in baseball. He is still young and did very well last year in the last couple of months and playoffs. Pelfrey is one of the top young prospects in baseball, we have another young guy in Humber who is one of the top prospects, we have Duque who is still servicable.

Here is what I don’t get about the pitching (just from a begining of the year standpoint)
2006 Pedro > injured Pedro
Glavine = Glavine
2007 Duque > 2006 Trachsel
2007 Maine > 2006 Victor Zambrano
2007 Perez > 2006 Brian Bannister
2007 Pelfrey > or = 2006 Maine
2007 Aaron Sele > 2006 Jose Lima
2007 Chan Ho Park > 2006 Geremi Gonzalez

The Mets pitching staff on paper this year is much better than last years. Other than Pedro getting injured, the Mets look as good or better at every pitching spot.[/QUOTE]

I couldn’t disagree with this more. Perez came into camp fat in 05. He did no conditioning during the offseason. This killed his velocity.
He got mad and kicked a shopping cart in the clubhouse and broke his toe and was out for the year.
He came into camp in 06 mad because he was not offered a long term deal. Again, he was overweight.
He was throwing 92-94 last year and couldn’t change speeds. This was down from when he was throwing 99 in 2004.
As for him doing “well”. He had an ERA over 6.00 for the Mets last year in 7 starts.
If the Mets are expecting Ollie to produce to win, it’s going to be a long season in NY.
IMO, the mets will win the east because no one else can.
The Braves don’t have the starting pitching, defense or offense.
The Phillies bullpen is soft and the Fish and Nat’s wil both lose 90+.

Tintin

[QUOTE=CallMeCornbread;228970]And Charlotte2002… you have no idea what you’re talking about. Jason Marquis plays for the Cubs. He hasn’t played in Atlanta since the 2002-2003 season.

To sum up: Even a blind squirrel finds a nut (The Mets last year). And the Braves will regain their rightful spot at the top of the NL East this season.
:toast:[/QUOTE]

My bad, I saw Soriano and instantly thought Cubs. (I should have actually read the whole post).

It never really occurred to me that the Braves were even relevant anymore to be honest with you.

[QUOTE=49or bust;228974]I’d much rather watch the EPL, SPL, or UEFA cup…[/QUOTE]

The whaaat? :blink: :huh:

The whaaat? :blink: :huh:
[B]English Premier League[/B] - This is the premier football (soccer) league in England. Teams you may recognize: Manchester United, Chelsea, and Arsenal. [B] Scottish Premier League[/B] - This is the premier football league in Scotland. Teams you may recognize - Celtic (my favs) and Rangers

Union of European Football Associations
Pretty much each country has its own premier football league. So if you think of each league as a conference in NCAA basketball, the UEFA Cup is like the NCAA tournament.

My bad, I saw Soriano and instantly thought Cubs. (I should have actually read the whole post).

It never really occurred to me that the Braves were even relevant anymore to be honest with you.

We could say the same about your uninformed responses.

The Braves have won 14 divisions in 15 years and aren’t relevant to you. The Cubs haven’t won a WS in 100 years and are relevant to you. Makes sense to me.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;228883]High payrolls can keep you in the playoffs every year, but it doesn’t equate to championships.[/QUOTE]

Championships or not, they have killed the game. Also, in counterpoint, see Florida. Twice.

Free Agency + Gross Inequity in payrolls = Death of enthusiasm and fan interest outside of the largest markets.