Other school's gear on campus - log

What I really don’t get is the people who don’t like sports and wear other school’s gear. So your rooting for another institution’s academics?

Everyday students are one thing but when you represent this university in an official capacity that kind of grabbage is unexcusable! That's like going to work at Starbuck's and wearing an apron that says "F**k Starbucks".

totally agree…these students represent the university …that’s a joke right there.

Just walking back to my apt from work (taking shortcuts mind) I saw 6 ppl with other gear on. You had your usually uncch but what I found interesting was Colorado, Cal, and Indiana :huh:

One kid was wearing a niners hoodie and a tar hole hat. These kids confuse me too almost more so then a kid who just wears other gear.

Another good thing along with someone saying their needs to be pictures would just be for students to walk up to people with other school's gear and stop them and ask if you can take a picture of them..when they ask why, say "so all the real supporters of this school can make fun of you."
We need to be classy, this will only piss them off. If we just took pictures of them and perhaps voiced our displeasure (but not so in your face) would more likely win them over.
One kid was wearing a niners hoodie and a tar hole hat. These kids confuse me too almost more so then a kid who just wears other gear.
My friend Brian does stuff like that, he was a Tar Heel fan before he came here but he likes us too. I'd still rather that than not care for us at all.

i saw a girl on campus today wearing a dayton flyers hoodie. that one caught me off guard…what do these people think? “hmm, today let’s go buy a St. Bonaventure shirt!!!”

I walked out of the library to go home and not two steps out I saw a bright red wisconsin hoodie walking towards the door. I’m pretty sure it was another library student employee.

I would definitely like to do something for the show. A segment or even make some spots similar to the stay green commercials some of you guys made. I’ll get back to you on this.

This is just a question…

Does anyone else think it’s a bit less of a deal for someone to be wearing an Indiana or Colorado sweatshirt/hat as opposed to a UNC-CH, NC State, Clempsun, App State, etc. sweatshirt/hat? I think this idea you guys have rolling is a great one and I would love love love nothing more than to see our logo on campus more often than not.

I think I feel a bit less “annoyed” when I see a more random far away school than a more “regional” ACC team.

I also think it would help if you could actually FIND our gear somewhere other than Gray’s or our bookstore. Gray’s has improved, but it’s no wonder they all wear that other crap- you can find it in any mall, sporting goods store or Wal-Mart in the country…yes, I know this is another issue altogether, I just think it might contribute to some of it.

This is just a question...

Does anyone else think it’s a bit less of a deal for someone to be wearing an Indiana or Colorado sweatshirt/hat as opposed to a UNC-CH, NC State, Clempsun, App State, etc. sweatshirt/hat? I think this idea you guys have rolling is a great one and I would love love love nothing more than to see our logo on campus more often than not.

I think I feel a bit less “annoyed” when I see a more random far away school than a more “regional” ACC team.

I also think it would help if you could actually FIND our gear somewhere other than Gray’s or our bookstore. Gray’s has improved, but it’s no wonder they all wear that other crap- you can find it in any mall, sporting goods store or Wal-Mart in the country…yes, I know this is another issue altogether, I just think it might contribute to some of it.

agree

I have no issue with a kid wearing Wisconsin, UCLA, etc gear.

When I was at Charlotte, I wore Elon and A & T gear. I also attended both schools.
I also has a Yale sweatshirt I would sometimes wear. It wasn’t a big thing to me and I would imagine it’s probably not that big a deal to those wearing it.

Also, I was in Chapel Hill during the week last fall and saw gear from bunches of other schools including 2 Charlotte shirts.

Wearing State gear to a basketball game is one thing, but kicking around campus in a a Georgia shirt or Georgetown hat ain’t no big thing.

Tintin

agree

Holy sh*t! Metro agreed with me :tongue:

And for whatever it’s worth…go to any other campus in this state or country and you will always see other schools’ gear. Probably not to the degree that we see it and definitely not “rival” gear, but again, we are the only ones who see UNC-CH as our “rival”…nobody in Chapel Hill would think anything of a Niner hat on their campus.

I spent a year at Tennessee…wore Charlotte gear sometimes, had a Colorado t-shirt, saw plenty of other schools albeit never Florida or Georgia or Bama, of course…which sort of brings us back to the original point

Holy sh*t! Metro agreed with me :tongue:

And for whatever it’s worth…go to any other campus in this state or country and you will always see other schools’ gear. Probably not to the degree that we see it and definitely not “rival” gear, but again, we are the only ones who see UNC-CH as our “rival”…nobody in Chapel Hill would think anything of a Niner hat on their campus.

I spent a year at Tennessee…wore Charlotte gear sometimes, had a Colorado t-shirt, saw plenty of other schools albeit never Florida or Georgia or Bama, of course…which sort of brings us back to the original point

odd…I don’t ever remember disagreeing with you

agree

odd...I don't ever remember disagreeing with you

No, I don’t either, I just wasn’t sure if I was going to ruffle anybody’s feathers with that statement and yours tend to get ruffled…that’s all. No biggie.

I get annoyed when I see any other gear on campus. If you are going to spend money or have somebody else spend money on gear why waste it on a school you don’t go to? I do get extra annoyed when it’s acc gear.

I guess I’m coming at this from a different perspective. I’m here, on the inside, and I’ve become Ninerized.

The large part of my job here is producing The 49ers Insider show. I guess I’m just in so deep, that any other school’s gear on campus bugs me.

Through doing this show, I’ve gotten to know all the coaches and most of the players from each Niner team. I feel as if I’m part of each team.

Mine is a different situation. I take it serious, producing this show is what puts food in my kids mouths.

I gotta tell you though, I haven’t always been this way. I grew up an NC State fan and went to school and played football at Elon.

I’ve worked at Wake Forest in Football video and operations.

Of course I root for Elon, and I root for wake forest football, at least until Charlotte gets a football team. Elon plays wake this fall, that should be interesting.

But i tell you, i bleed Niner green now, and it’s important to me.

I was driving on campus today and my GF and I were talking about this subject. About that time I saw a girl wearing a uncch hoodie…I slammed on the breaks and started to roll down my window, blood was boiling. Luckily for her my GF was in the car with me, and she works for Charlotte, so i didnt want to give her a bad name lol.

It could have gotten ugly…

When I was at Charlotte, I wore Elon and A & T gear. I also attended both schools. I also has a Yale sweatshirt I would sometimes wear. It wasn't a big thing to me and I would imagine it's probably not that big a deal to those wearing it.

Also, I was in Chapel Hill during the week last fall and saw gear from bunches of other schools including 2 Charlotte shirts.

Wearing State gear to a basketball game is one thing, but kicking around campus in a a Georgia shirt or Georgetown hat ain’t no big thing.

Tintin

I guess I’m the same way, I wear clothing from many different Universities (including a UNCC t-shirt my ex GF gave me) on a regular basis, if its around campus, who cares? I can understand if its at a football or basketball game, but if I’m going to one of my classes in a Georgia or Wake shirt instead of one of my ASU shirts and some tool bag started harassing me for it I would tell him to get a life. And also, something I’ve noticed on here (and on ASU boards as well), when did cheering for more than one school suddenly make you persona non grata?? I completely agree that the school you attend should be number one, but if you have another school you cheer for on the side, why should that matter?? I personally don’t for basketball, but I do pay attention to UGA (dads alma mater) for football. I don’t know, I just think the “One and one only” mentality is the wrong way to go about cultivating new fans.

[QUOTE=spartyniner;387346]This is just a question…

I think I feel a bit less “annoyed” when I see a more random far away school than a more “regional” ACC team.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but wearing gear from schools that are further away angers me more than gear from local schools. If someone wears gear from a local school, then it is more likely that they have some sort of connection to the school. Gear from further schools is less likely to be purchased through an intelligent decision, creating wal mart fans.

Sorry, but wearing gear from schools that are further away angers me more than gear from local schools. If someone wears gear from a local school, then it is more likely that they have some sort of connection to the school. Gear from further schools is less likely to be purchased through an intelligent decision, creating wal mart fans.

I disagree, the farther away schools IMO are probably indicative of a connection with that school beyond, “grew up in ACC country and picked a winner.”

I disagree, the farther away schools IMO are probably indicative of a connection with that school beyond, "grew up in ACC country and picked a winner."
Pretty much. I have friends that know nothing about our basketball team but will rattle off about UNC or Duke and argue that "their" team is better. Too bad "your" team denied you eh?

My brother goes to an ACC school (NC State). I have no problem going to his game and wearing a State shirt and cheering for them or watching them on TV occasionally. However, if the two teams played, I would definitely be cheering for Charlotte. And I would NEVER wear a shirt of theirs on campus, or anywhere besides at NC State for that part. My brother will be here during his spring break Saturday to watch the Richmond game, and I guarantee he will be wearing green or a Niners shirt.

I would back this project too! I love it. I used to dream of a Tap-A-Cap program where anyone wearing a cap from another school would have it tapped of their head. Please move forward with this project.