Possible Lutz replacements...

[QUOTE=JLaw25;374180]If getting a good coach is determined by how much you donate then If I were you I would definitely demand a refund because you are getting ripped off. I will throw in an extra $10 if we can get the next coach to teach some fundamentals.[/QUOTE]
Donations to the athletic foundation are not going to pay salaries. Get your facts right if you expect credibility.

Over40 is totally correct. The only Coach I know to go to a big time program from HS was Bob Wade. Dumbest F**king move ever.
I was at the game Saturday and I for one love the way this team plays. They have heart, they communicate with one another, and they play as a team.
I know you all have heard it before, but next year is going to be different.
I have not seen this many injuries hit one team like this in a long time.

This team has some holes (rebounding! and we play too much zone), but I like this team and think its better than the record suggests, unlike some other bad years we’ve had.

I'm not saying we should bring in the Oak Hill coach...or any high school coach for that matter. I was just making the point that we may need to take a chance on someone else in order to replace Lutz.

Just seems like we are going backward instead of forward.

FYI he just signed a 5 year extension, so you are a bit late in your demands.

I’ve said it a million times, but I’ll say it again. The program mishandled the move to the A-10. That goes from the coach to the AD and Chancellor. The AD and Chancellor put Bobby in a difficult situation with the whole contract / USA fiasco, which limited the program’s ability to recruit.

With some stability now in terms of the contract extension and some stability in the assistant coaching, we have made a conscious effort on bringing in 4 year guys. This will make a big difference in the next couple of seasons.

I personally think we have seen the best Bobby can do (2nd Round NCAA), but we have not had even close to the talent and experience on the roster to achieve legit post season play in years. I expect us to reach that level of play in the 09-10 and 10-11 seasons.

You may very well be right on the 2nd round thing, though I submit we’ve been the victim of that damn 1 seed game a couple of times when we had Sweet 16 quality teams, but the rest of that post I strongly endorse.

Melvin Watkins. Doubt he would leave again to go to another school. He had us on the upswing when he was here before.

Seriously? Melvin Watkins is not gonna come back here.

2nd round NCAA doesn’t sound that bad lately…

Is this thread in response to a 5-6 Charlotte team losing @ Maryland? A game where we lost another rotation player? Just curious, trying to gauge the level of idiocy we have reached…

[QUOTE=gotLutz;374255]2nd round NCAA doesn’t sound that bad lately…[/QUOTE]

I don’t know that Lutz will ever be able to get us back to that level.

I sure hope he can.

I liked Melvin but he had more talent than Lutz ever had and did less with it.

[QUOTE=s9er;374256]Is this thread in response to a 5-6 Charlotte team losing @ Maryland? A game where we lost another rotation player? Just curious, trying to gauge the level of idiocy we have reached…[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

[QUOTE=forDniner;374258]I liked Melvin but he had more talent than Lutz ever had and did less with it.[/QUOTE]

Watkins = 2 seasons as head coach, 2 Big Dances, 2 wins in the first round.

Lutz = 10+ seasons, 5 Big Dances, 2 wins in the first round.

In my opinion Bobby has been doing a great job as a coach this year;the problem is not the coaching, the problem is recruiting. I really like our players and admire the heart that they’ve been playing with lately, but lets face it, they are far from the most talented.
I’m a senior this year and haven’t seen us go to the NCAA tournament since my freshman year. I will always support the team, no matter what, but I came here expecting some great basketball, and yeah I’ve seen some good games, but nothing like I expected.
I am hoping with Bowden and our new recruits that next year we will not only reach the tournament but go pretty far. How good do you guys think we will be? I feel bad already anticipating next year, and maybe I’ll stay here for grad-school, but honestly I don’t think we have the talent to do much this year. Especially with Wilderness (what happened to him?) and Dewhurst injured.

Recruiting is a coaching issue.

[QUOTE=run49er;374284]Watkins = 2 seasons as head coach, 2 Big Dances, 2 wins in the first round.

Lutz = 10+ seasons, 5 Big Dances, 2 wins in the first round.[/QUOTE]

I’m not thrilled with Lutz’s post season success either but Watkins rode Colson & Demarco for 2 years. He did nothing at A&M for 6 seasons.

Watkins = 0 CUSA conf regular season champs, 0 CUSA tourney champs.

Lutz = 1 CUSA conf regular season champs (shared), 2 CUSA tourney champs.

97-98 Watkins had a better cast than Lutz has ever had (Colson, Young, Shaw, Demarco, Price, Diego, Marlon Thomas, etc) and went 20-11. On 2 seperate occasions (98-99 and 00-01) Lutz posts a better record, a conf tourney championship and a NCAA 2nd round exit.

I liked Watkins, and I’m not trying to belittle his accomplishments. I appreciate his many years as an assistant here and his 2 as a head coach but I think Lutz has done more with less. IMO, that’s what makes a coach.

Rodney White is easily better than any player Watkins ever had.

Eddie Basden was as good as, if not better than any of those guys too. Only Demarco out of that group was close to NBA material.

I'm not thrilled with Lutz's post season success either but Watkins rode Colson & Demarco for 2 years. He did nothing at A&M for 6 seasons.

Watkins = 0 CUSA conf regular season champs, 0 CUSA tourney champs.

Lutz = 1 CUSA conf regular season champs (shared), 2 CUSA tourney champs.

97-98 Watkins had a better cast than Lutz has ever had (Colson, Young, Shaw, Demarco, Price, Diego, Marlon Thomas, etc) and went 20-11. On 2 seperate occasions (98-99 and 00-01) Lutz posts a better record, a conf tourney championship and a NCAA 2nd round exit.

I liked Watkins, and I’m not trying to belittle his accomplishments. I appreciate his many years as an assistant here and his 2 as a head coach but I think Lutz has done more with less. IMO, that’s what makes a coach.

Watkins Era

The 96-97 team…I don’t really know much about other than the fact that we knocked off Victor Page and Georgetown and then got smoked by #2 Utah with Keith Van Horn and Andre Miller.

The 97-98 team had injury issues early and also was missing Colson for a number of games due to a suspension. That hurt our seeding and left us playing a UNC-CH team filled with future NBA players. Could have pulled it out.

Lutz Era

The 98-99 team put itself in a great position to do damage in the NCAAs with a 5 seed. Lost in the 2nd Round to #13 Oklahoma, Kelvin Price didn’t play due to food poisoning.

The 00-01 team dealt with the Diego injury early and then Rodney missed a few games in February that we lost. That really hurt us seeding wise, but our game plan versus Illinois was awful and we paid for it.

The 01-02 team underachieved during the season and as a result another dreaded 8/9 seed. Jobey was sick versus Notre Dame, but it was tied at halftime. The second half ND kicked our asses.

The 03-04 team had no excuses.

The 04-05 team had no excuses other than Bobby thinking of Rocky Top.

Nothing of note since…or I suppose a downward spiral.

I liked Melvin but he had more talent than Lutz ever had and did less with it.

Melvin Watkins = INCREDIBLY overrated as a coach!

Watkins = 2 seasons as head coach, 2 Big Dances, 2 wins in the first round.

Lutz = 10+ seasons, 5 Big Dances, 2 wins in the first round.

Watkins had Lutz on his bench calling the shots and had several exceptional players brought in by Mullins!..Hand, meet silver platter!