Program's future

How is Gerrityā€™s FT % ? That could help at the end of games. We need at least one more guy who can hit FTā€™s at the end of games.

[QUOTE=casstommy;268570]Iā€™m a big Lutz fan, and really want him to finish out his career in Niner green. That being said, 2 games over a weekend does not earn you an extention. I think he is well on his way, but I would like to give it AT LEAST a few more games. The whole, ā€œits hurting our recruitingā€ bit is a tad overstated. We lose 2, and already have one locked up. Waiting another month or 2 isnt going to hurt anything.[/QUOTE]

Recruiting isnā€™t about the kids for next year, next year is pretty much over has far as recruiting goes. The concern should be about all the 2009 kids who are not even looking at us because of our coaching stituation. Many of the top 2009 kid have already made up there minds as have several 2010 kids.

The minute you start looking at recruiting as a next year proposition you end up with juco and bigtime question marks. We have a great foundation for a potentially VERY good team next year, we have got to ad some shooters and hopefully Bowden will help somewhat. But the fact of the matter is the longer the coaching situation is unresolved, the more damage it will to to recruiting and the long term health of our program.

I do like what I have seen of Lutz so far this yearā€¦ not only does he have the fire back in his belly, but he has done a better job controlling his temper with the officials. There were some bad calls in both games that had me yelling and screaming, but Bobby kept his cool.

I still donā€™t think Iā€™d give him the extension after 2 games, but if we keep playing at this level I think is should be done before the end of the year. I donā€™t think Halton would be the same without the little guy jumping around on the sidelines.

Officially retracted due to Mighty Monmouth.

Recruiting isn't about the kids for next year, next year is pretty much over has far as recruiting goes. The concern should be about all the 2009 kids who are not even looking at us because of our coaching stituation. Many of the top 2009 kid have already made up there minds as have several 2010 kids.

The minute you start looking at recruiting as a next year proposition you end up with juco and bigtime question marks. We have a great foundation for a potentially VERY good team next year, we have got to ad some shooters and hopefully Bowden will help somewhat. But the fact of the matter is the longer the coaching situation is unresolved, the more damage it will to to recruiting and the long term health of our program.

I understand what you are saying, I just dont think a few more games hurts us as much as others believe.

What it comes down to is, most everyone felt that Lutz did not earn a contract extention over the past 2 years. A lot of huffing and puffing has been made over making Lutz ā€œEARNā€ his extention. I dont think 2 games over High Point and App fit the bill.

All that said, I do think Lutz will earn the extention. I do think he is the right man for the job. And I do wish to see him pacing up and down Haltons sidelines for a long time to come!

Yep, yep, and YEP!!! My emails went out to Judy and Dubois this morning and both replied. They are glad to see the excitement on and off the courtā€¦and hope it continues. Judy said she sent out an email to ALL of the students thanking them for coming out and encouraging them to come back.

Yep, yep, and YEP!!!

its looking better and better your gig buffing Lutzā€™ ā€œtwentiesā€ is gonna remain intact. :smile:

Got a response back from Judy. Itā€™s all good.

Officially retracted due to Mighty Monmouth.

I know a lot of guys donā€™t like him, but the Doh has expressed a desire to coach here, knowing what salary would be available. He did recruit the Tar Hole championship class. Not saying that I want Bobby gone, the jury is still out on that oneā€¦ I really want to want Bobby to stayā€¦ Just saying - there is a viable option.

[QUOTE=ninerID;268771]Does anyone seriously think that we can get a better coach than Bobby Lutz?

Now I am not just talking about coach ability.

I am talking about affordability. We donā€™t have a big budget, and we are about to start football, giving a basketball coach a large contract isnā€™t going to be possible.
I am also talking about Loyalty. I know Bobby interviewed at Tenn, but could you blame him? If we hire a young gun, two things will happen, a) he sucks and we are worse off, b) he is a savior, and then goes somewhere before it really gets good. I think signing bobby now puts him at an age where he wonā€™t leave. I know heā€™ll only be in his 50ā€™s, but look at the BCS hires, they are young guys.

I just donā€™t see it getting better than this.

It is like driving a decent car that is paid for, man that new car looks nice, but the car i have is dependable and I dont have a car payment.[/QUOTE]

The answer is, yes we can get a coach better than Lutz. Can we guarantee he stay? No, we canā€™t even guarantee that Lutz will stay, he has already tried to leave us at least once (Tenn). I never get scared of people leaving due to success. If a new coach came in here and got us to the sweet 16 and left for a bigger program, so be it. Maybe his top assistant would take over, but who cares, we just went to the sweet 16! I never worry that I have a great worker in my office and they might get promoted eventually. Iā€™d take that anytime over someone who is mediocre and wants to stay forever.

I like this team the last 2 games, and that excitement is backā€¦but Iā€™ll just have to wait and see on Lutz. I want him to earn it back, so far he is.

[QUOTE=Ninercentral;268772]I know a lot of guys donā€™t like him, but the Doh has expressed a desire to coach here,[/QUOTE]
i thought we turned him down when we signed bobby. story i heard is that dean smith wanted judy to sign doh. we signed bobby instead and a few folks got pissed. not because we turned doh down but because we did not listen to dean smith. thatā€™s the rumor i heard. oh yea. and at least one of the pissees is a regular on this board.

[QUOTE=Jimmyhat49er;268601]Recruiting isnā€™t about the kids for next year, next year is pretty much over has far as recruiting goes. The concern should be about all the 2009 kids who are not even looking at us because of our coaching stituation. Many of the top 2009 kid have already made up there minds as have several 2010 kids.

The minute you start looking at recruiting as a next year proposition you end up with juco and bigtime question marks. We have a great foundation for a potentially VERY good team next year, we have got to ad some shooters and hopefully Bowden will help somewhat. But the fact of the matter is the longer the coaching situation is unresolved, the more damage it will to to recruiting and the long term health of our program.[/QUOTE]
i agree with your **** or get off the pot theory. but canā€™t we just sit there long enough to make sure we donā€™t mess up our pants?

imo. sign him. but not until we are certain. otherwise there will be a lot of second guessing.

I like the ā€œNew Bobbyā€ but how much of this enthusiasm should be attributed to having Rob Moxley back? I feel like that may be a real key and there is not going to be anything that we can do to hold onto him. He wants to be a head coach and it is the right time for him to be a head coach. If we have a good year expect him to have an opportunity. I donā€™t think we have to worry about losing him to a bigger assistant gig, he found out the grass isnā€™t always greener, but a head man spot is coming his way.

[QUOTE=Ninercentral;268772]I know a lot of guys donā€™t like him, but the Doh has expressed a desire to coach here, knowing what salary would be available. He did recruit the Tar Hole championship class.[/QUOTE]
And the jury is still out after Notre Dame, UNC-Chapel Hill, FLorida Atlantic and Southern Methodist on if Doherty can be a head coach. Recruiterā€¦ perhaps.

Itā€™s been a long time ago but he presented the worst interview ever given by Judy back when Mullins retired.

[QUOTE=Iron9er;268774]The answer is, yes we can get a coach better than Lutz. Can we guarantee he stay? No, we canā€™t even guarantee that Lutz will stay, he has already tried to leave us at least once (Tenn). I never get scared of people leaving due to success. If a new coach came in here and got us to the sweet 16 and left for a bigger program, so be it. Maybe his top assistant would take over, but who cares, we just went to the sweet 16! I never worry that I have a great worker in my office and they might get promoted eventually. Iā€™d take that anytime over someone who is mediocre and wants to stay forever.

I like this team the last 2 games, and that excitement is backā€¦but Iā€™ll just have to wait and see on Lutz. I want him to earn it back, so far he is.[/QUOTE]

Iron, you get it. You really get it. I donā€™t mind at all if Charlotte is a ā€œstepping-stoneā€ job for up and comers.

I said it before and Iā€™ll say it again, Lutz was disappointed at not getting the UT job. So be it. But I think he has spent the last couple of years cruising until they didnā€™t extend and now heā€™s said OH ****. If South Ala is the best I can do, I have it pretty good here.

That being said, Iā€™m glad to see heā€™s re-focused.

BUT, LET ME SAY THIS. Iā€™MN GLAD WEā€™RE 2-0. BUT IF EVERYBODY IS THRILLED THAT WE BEAT HP AND ASU AND NOTHING ELSE, WEā€™VE FALLEN FARTHER THAN I THOUGHT.

I like this team the last 2 games, and that excitement is back...but I'll just have to wait and see on Lutz. I want him to earn it back, so far he is.

Ditto. There was a time where we would have been looking ahead to Georgia Tech because we knew weā€™d kill HP and App. State in our own home. And after doing so, we wouldnā€™t be thumping our chests so much simply because anything less than a comfortable win against those schools would be a failure.

I think we took MAJOR steps back, as a program, over the last few years. And yes, I do feel Bobby should absorb a portion of the blame. Flirting with other schools, regardless of his stability here, wasnā€™t the smartest thing for him to do. Do I blame him? Not really. But he has to understand that he has to earn back some fans and apparently, some of the administration at the school as well. I hope he gets the extension. If he does, it means weā€™re winning games and the excitement is returning to Halton. Do I think we could do better? Probably. But at a steep price and at the risk of losing our coach after a couple good seasons. If Lutz continues to win games and get his extension, I at least feel like weā€™ll have stability here for years to come.

I think the old Bobby is back. I already see flashes of what I used to see many years ago in CUSA. And I can tell that the players really buy into him. I still want to see more before he gets an extension and before I get overly excited about this season. But I definitely think the right pieces of the puzzle are in place to develop into a top-25 program in the coming years. I feel pretty confident Lutz will get the extension by the start of conference place.

[QUOTE=hootie;268793]BUT, LET ME SAY THIS. Iā€™MN GLAD WEā€™RE 2-0. BUT IF EVERYBODY IS THRILLED THAT WE BEAT HP AND ASU AND NOTHING ELSE, WEā€™VE FALLEN FARTHER THAN I THOUGHT.[/QUOTE]
i hear ya. but i think most of us are thrilled because we won with almost all new talent. and because of the way we played. and the attitude of the players. and the hustle and teamwork. this 9er team does not look like our teams from the past couple of years. last nightā€™s game was the most enjoyable niner game iā€™ve watched in a long time.

It was only one game but you can see the tremendous potential of this team. I want to see Coach Lutz get the chance to develop this team and add some more key pieces. If the boosters, fans, alumni, students want Bobby to be the coach, Chancellor Dubois and Judy Rose need to hear it.

Chancellor Phil Dubois - pdubois@uncc.edu
Athletic Driector Judy Rose - jwrose@uncc.edu

bumpedy bump

Truly unacceptable.