Program's future

LOl Lutz teams always start slow, but this???

Wonder if Lutz has earned the extension yet…hmmmmmmm

You know, Xavier has been a stepping stone university. The little elf at UVa, Skip Prosser, Thad Matta. Yet, they are still strong and are a big time program. With Sean Finney, they are still making noise and flirting with the rankings.

There is only so much Lutz can do. The Athletic Dept isn’t giving him the resources to compete with teams like Monmouth.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;270200]With Sean Finney, they are still making noise and flirting with the rankings.[/QUOTE]
PB, I think you mean Sean Miller. :smile:

Haha, Finney is at Tulane isn’t he?

Or somewhere like that.

You’re right though, I mean Miller.

I am a little distraught.

A lot of the goodwill that Bobby built up going 3-1 got erased with the loss to lowly Monmouth today. This is the sort of loss that has been a backbreaker in the past.

There is only so much Lutz can do. The Athletic Dept isn't giving him the resources to compete with teams like Monmouth.

haha

the lavin-Wojo signature is coming!

Yeah, this is the kind of **** that should NEVER happen. I mean honestly… wtf…

What does Lutz say to his teams before games against opponents we should beat? Every year, we play schools that have no business playing with us in bball and we lose. Between this game, and the UIC game, I am convinced that regardless of the outcome the rest of the year, Lutz needs to go. Bottom line, end of sentence, period, that’s it!!! I have another question, what does Lutz get paid to suck? You can blame whatever you want on this game, but when you have a team that lost to Notre Dame by more than 30, their tallest player who has played is 6’9, and he doesn’t even get that much playing time, and you don’t at least try to go inside every ****ing time when your inside game has been working, you do not understand basketball, and you are not fit to coach at this level. I still love this team, and their efforts, and I will not fault the players for this game. I will however put all of the blame on Bobby. Yes, he deserves all of the blame for this, and the last game where we squeaked one out against yet another team that we played down to. If we extend Lutz’ contract, we will be in a cycle of let-downs and ****ty seasons for as long as he’s here. I give him credit for what he has brought us to in the past, but he does not have the ability to take us any further. It is time for an upgrade in the coach department. I don’t care if we win the rest of our games this year, Lutz must go. The reason? Because if we were to go and only lose two games all year, we would still blow something in the NCAA, and probably to a team we should not lose to. Lutz’ career has been defined by his players. He’s had the Eddie’s, the Jobey’s, the Diego’s, the Demarco’s, etc. who have made him a better coach. He does not make those guys better players.

What does Lutz say to his teams before games against opponents we should beat? Every year, we play schools that have no business playing with us in bball and we lose. Between this game, and the UIC game, I am convinced that regardless of the outcome the rest of the year, Lutz needs to go. Bottom line, end of sentence, period, that's it!!! I have another question, what does Lutz get paid to suck? You can blame whatever you want on this game, but when you have a team that lost to Notre Dame by more than 30, their tallest player who has played is 6'9, and he doesn't even get that much playing time, and you don't at least try to go inside every ****ing time when your inside game has been working, you do not understand basketball, and you are not fit to coach at this level. I still love this team, and their efforts, and I will not fault the players for this game. I will however put all of the blame on Bobby. Yes, he deserves all of the blame for this, and the last game where we squeaked one out against yet another team that we played down to. If we extend Lutz' contract, we will be in a cycle of let-downs and ****ty seasons for as long as he's here. I give him credit for what he has brought us to in the past, but he does not have the ability to take us any further. It is time for an upgrade in the coach department. I don't care if we win the rest of our games this year, Lutz must go. The reason? Because if we were to go and only lose two games all year, we would still blow something in the NCAA, and probably to a team we should not lose to. Lutz' career has been defined by his players. He's had the Eddie's, the Jobey's, the Diego's, the Demarco's, etc. who have made him a better coach. He does not make those guys better players.

what he said

[QUOTE=Powerbait;270203]Haha, Finney is at Tulane isn’t he?[/QUOTE]
After Tulane fired Finney, he ended up back at Kentucky with Tubbs. The latter did not include him on his Minnesota staff, though Finney was hired as an assistant at Marshall, where he’s helping to recruit AND sign Niner targets!

Herdzone.com: Shawn Finney

I’m not going to overreact and say blow this program up and start over. But, seriously, if we do, these are the kind of games that will have caused us to. Please try not to embarass the alumni! Monmouth, geeze.

[QUOTE=metro;270196]bumpedy bump[/QUOTE]

Careful dude.

You wanted to sticky the thread where you predicted 2nd place. :wink::shades::weep:

I am considering writing a letter to Bobby along the lines of… dear bobby… please win games that this team can win, and stop shooting the three ball.

Yours Truly,

Donating Alum…

With lots of filler in the middle.

[QUOTE=Utter’s Game Story]On Monday, Charlotte struggled against Monmouth’s match-up zone, trying to shoot over it rather than attempt to drive to the basket or pass into the post, as Lutz had preached before the game.[/QUOTE]

I’m sorry, I just don’t see it. Dijuan Harris played 10 minutes in this game, and that’s probably generous. A lot of you saw me in the shoutbox today, from the opening tip. I said that this game was the perfect epitome of the disagreement between Lutz’s philosophy and what some fans believe and want to see. I said that we would need to gut out a win by 1) applying smothering, full court defense/ball pressure, 2) rebounding, 3) defending the perimeter, and we’d beat the matchup zone by 4) feeding the high post and 5) driving the ball, along with 6) some help outside from Threemire. Then I said that we had to 7) dictate the game’s pace and not get caught playing a game in the 40s or 50’s.

So, let’s run through that checklist:

1. To do this, we would need Dijuan Harris in the game. After all, his pressure ruins offensive flow, even when it doesn’t create TOs. It basicly cuts 5-10 seconds off the shot clock in halfcourt sets. Instead, Bobby yanked Dijuan and had Lee play PG most of the game. Monmouth, a team that came into the game [URL=http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/teamstats?teamId=2405]averaging 18.3 TO’s per game[/URL], and 9.3 TO per game from its starting backcourt of Youngblood & Coleman, was not pressured. For the entire game, Monmouth turned the ball over TEN times. Ten. And that includes 5 extra minutes of overtime!

2. We out rebounded them 40-32, but they didn’t miss down the stretch, so our strength didn’t come into play.

3. Monmouth shot 37% from outside, but most distressing were all the made 3’s in clutch time. They were shooting about 25% until very late in the game, and then suddenly we couldn’t stop them. This does not surprise me, as we too often had Ian & Lee in the game for their shooting. Lutz picked his poison here, going with offense over defense.

4. I have to go by Matt’s call, but I rarely heard anything that sounded like we ever tried this. Perhaps a couple of times to Mack, but we did little with it.

5. We had late success with Dewhurst & Wilderness which built us that 9 point lead. Then, in clutch time, we shoot 3’s?? Dewhurst, in particular, was 5-7 from the line, which is acceptable.

6. Leemire was off except for one stretch early in the 2nd half. Lutz cannot be held responsible for Lee being hot or cold, but I’m tired of just asking him to win games for us a la the App game, or Plavich @ Davidson or Syracuse or Demon @ UAB, etc.

7. Once again, we let an inferior opponent dictate pace. See #1 for a BIG reason why.

Instead of a report card grade for the above, perhaps I should say this another way: Bobby coached this game just like he would have last year, and just like he would have done with last year’s team. In fact, between their zone taking away our much of athleticism and Bobby’s approach taking away the rest, we sounded just like last year’s team, only we didn’t even have DA to bail us out with ridiculously contested 3’s.

This game showed me that Bobby still believes that its the players, not his philosophy that is at fault. He did not show faith in the talent that he has, which would be understandable, only it had won us 3 of 4 games so far this season, against superior competition. Bobby completely regressed today, IMO.

I came here expecting to post a very brief reply, and I decided at the last second not to, because I didn’t have all the visual evidence I’d like to have. But I’m still pretty damn pissed. The next time this happens, I will be making the post I had in mind, which is, quite simply:

Goodbye Bobby. Thanks for the memories.

Instead of a report card grade for the above, perhaps I should say this another way: Bobby coached this game just like he would have last year, and just like he would have done with last year's team. In fact, between their zone taking away our much of athleticism and Bobby's approach taking away the rest, we sounded just like last year's team, only we didn't even have DA to bail us out with ridiculously contested 3's.

This game showed me that Bobby still believe that its the players, not his philosophy that is at fault. He did not show faith in the talent that he has, which would be understandable, only it had won us 3 of 4 games so far this season, against superior competition. Bobby completely regressed today, IMO.

I came here expecting to post a very brief reply, and I decided at the last second not to, because I didn’t have all the visual evidence I’d like to have. But I’m still pretty damn pissed. The next time this happens, I will be making the post I had in mind, which is, quite simply:

Goodbye Bobby. Thanks for the memories.

Agreed and maybe at some point, some of the people here who are newer to the program, will see where you’re coming from. Despite stating we needed 6-7 games to judge this team, I admit I got a little giddy after the two early wins. But not to the point where I feel crushed after losing to Monmouth. Actually, it just further fuels my apathy, which has grown substantially over the years. I just don’t really care. And to me, that’s far worse than being pissed, from a fan’s perspective.

We grabbed 3 wins against mediocre teams and lost two, to one below-average game and one to an abysmal team that we had no business losing to, regardless of how many new faces we have on our team. Yes, we’re 3-2 and maybe some of you feel we should be happy considering the expectations. But that’s not the point. Our record has nothing to do with how I feel right now. It’s seeing a pattern over the last several years that has gradually regressed our program. A pattern many of us thought would be broke this year as Lutz employed a new mentality. He hasn’t. He never will. Same stuff, different season.

I hope we turn it around. I’d love nothing more than to see us go on a tear. But I’ll stand by my comments in the off-season thread where we all made our predictions on this year’s record. I had us finishing under .500 and the mediocrity of our conference may be the only reason we overachieve with that. I look at our next 8 games and I just can’t see us winning more than half of them. Actually, winning half would be a surprise at this point.

Oh well…thank goodness for the desensitization. It certainly helps with embarrassing losses like today’s.

Originally Posted by [B]Utter's Game Story[/B] [I]On Monday, Charlotte struggled against Monmouth's match-up zone, trying to shoot over it rather than attempt to drive to the basket or pass into the post, as Lutz had preached before the game.[/I]
Lutz does a lot of preaching but very little enforcing. And contrary to some here, issues like the one Utter stated are not due to lack of execution. Your players either listen to you, or they don't. Ultimately, it falls on the coach to keep his players in check or bench them if they don't listen. It all comes down to discipline, which this program hasn't had since Bobby took over. It's not like this was a big team we played. We had no business attacking their zone with perimeter shooting. And because of it, we now have a very ugly loss.

A-P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C

12 of 21 FTs? The future of the program will follow this pathetic path. They were 9 of 9. We got 12 more FTs than they did in the game!!! And we can only hit 12 of 21!!! I AM DAMN SICK OF THIS!!!