Ron Sanchez - New Head Coach of the Charlotte 49ers

Sanchez coming on WFNZ at 9am:

http://mobileui.clipinteractive.com/webplayer?key=wfnz.com

And to add to that, lets not forget that he just went through a gut-wrenching loss, last Friday. Heā€™s been pretty clear about how important the Coach-Player relationship is, so you know he cares a lot about those players who were all hurting also. Imagine having an event go so badly and immediately trying to land a new job and upending your (and your familyā€™s) entire life. Had to be an emotionally taxing few days.

Now coming up at 9:30am

Iā€™ve changed my mind on Sanchez. That dreadful first interview on 730am was bad first impression. His David Glenn interview and one for Gastonia guys were best Iā€™ve heard since Lutz glory years on air.

5 Likes

Sanchez was on WFNZ earlier today:

http://www.wfnz.com/media/audio-channel/new-charlotte-49ers-coach-ron-sanchez-vision-ad-mike-hill-really-made-me-want

Sanchez will be on Gerry V at 4:20pm today.

The Glenn interview was excellent. Got to learn a bit more about Coach Sanchez, which lead me to find some older articles that shed more light on his background and career path, which is pretty amazing.

He was a graduate of the same high school in the Bronx that produced baseball legends The Hebrew Hammer Hank Greenburg and Danny Almonte.

Through Mark Jackson (while playing for the Pacers) Coach Sanchez was connected to a camp in Indiana that led him to meet his wife Tara, who played basketball at IU for Kathi Bennett (Dick Bennettā€™s daughter and Tony Bennettā€™s sister) and introduced him to Mike Davis who took him on as a video coordinator (or something like that) while he completed his Masterā€™s Degree. When Dick Bennett took the Washington State job he hired Coach Sanchez as Director of Operations and the rest is history.

Fascinating and really shows how hard work and good relationships are the keys to success.

Was RS on the Indiana staff when IU played in Halton? That was a great game atmosphere and a full house despite the loss by the Niners.

From what Iā€™ve read it sounded like he was in an unpaid position at IU. Not sure it included travel to away games.

ICYMI: Sanchez was just on with Gerry V, listen on-demand with the link below:

http://www.espncharlotte.net/gerry-v-show-ron-sanchez/

Good interview, I like his honesty. High hopes!

Sanchez was on ESPN Richmond yesterday with another interview, listen on-demand below:

https://espnrichmond.com/3448/audio-3-22-hardly-workin/

I think it is a great hire for the Niners. My only concern is, that this guy
is ranked as one of the top assistant in college basketball . He is the #1
assistant on the #1 team in the country and he takes a job of the worst
team in CUSA . What job offers did he get? Was he even on Pitt or
UConn radar or any upper tier programs radar? Top assistant at top
P5 teams donā€™t take CUSA jobs. Something not adding up.

Not a lot of job openings this year at the p5 level and those that were/are open seem to be pursuing big name coaches that were fired or top head coaches at mid major programs.

Itā€™s increasingly rare that p5 programs take a chance on an assistant coach.

With the success of UVA, I doubt weā€™re the first school to come calling for Sanchez.

clt says this is good job. Great city, facilities and an athletic dept that seems to be on the way up again

Donā€™t underestimate Mike Hill

1 Like

Conference and money isnā€™t the end all be all. We are so far down and we as fans have been beaten down so far that it can be difficult to see why we could be higher in other peopleā€™s perspective.

IMO the Mike Hill effect is real. He has connections and can sell a vision. I have no doubts he doesnā€™t expect us to stay in CUSA any longer than we have to. I have no doubt that we donā€™t land Sanchez with Judy here.

1 Like

He said in his radio interview that Hill sold him over the phone. Hill must have one hell of a plan plus he is all energy and excitement. Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall for that conversation.

Didnā€™t he turn down JMU? Seems like I read that in one of the articles but could be wrong.