Ron Sanchez - New Head Coach of the Charlotte 49ers

Our program was run into the ground by Judy Rose. Letā€™s face it, she was waaaay out of touch. Mike Hill knows whatā€™s happening, especially in college basketball, my guess Ron Sanchez was on his radar a long time ago. We may have gotten a steal!

I agree. Iā€™m to beat down at this point to do anything but hope for the best.

Edit: Well my reply didnā€™t go after the post intended. User error I guessā€¦

I wanted a HC. We went the assistant route, again, and Iā€™m disappointed that we took that route. However, taking that route this was as good a hire as we could have made.

Also, iā€™m going to trust Hillā€™s ability over Judy Roseā€™s to identify talent. I also am trusting that the culture is about to change and that over any coach will be a swing to the positive.

Welcome to Charlotte!

1 Like

Iā€™m going to do like I always do, and give him a chance. I will see what his philosophies are, and see how our team is working towards those goals. I do look forward to some actual ā€œdefenseā€ being played here. Itā€™s been quite a while since we have seen that.

1 Like

This I can agree with

I think we can all agree that we trust Hill making this hire more then having Judy making it. He is the AHC while I think {could be wrong} that Major was just an assistant and not the ACH at OSU? I would have liked a current HC, but after what we have dealt with the past 10 years I will trust Hill on this call and give him a chance. He at least seems to know and understand what to do and hold people accountable.

From the few reports shared, seems it was nearly unanimous that he was the best asst coach out there and ready for a HC gig. We are perfect for a first-timer, while not necessarily a great opportunity for an experienced HC. An experienced HC would demand more $$ and probably have higher expectations sooner from the fan base. Not to mention we arenā€™t that much of a step up from many places outside some salary. I saw out opportunity as more risk than reward for a winning HC from anywhere.

As an asst, heā€™ll get a little more time to get his HC legs under him and comes at a much lower price, I assume.

I like the hire. Canā€™t wait to see if he can pull something off in short time for the post-season signing period.

1 Like

If Sanchez was the primary recruiter at UVA, then he is good at what he does. Since he has been there they have done what NC State has not been able to do since Jimmy V was thereā€“hurdle UNC-CH and Duke to be #1 in the ACC.

Recruiting for us will be different, but a big part of being successful will require having a good story to tell kids about why they should come here. It sure canā€™t be look at our record for the last 10 years. Sanchez has the been there, done that part nailed, and I canā€™t imagine any AAU coach not telling their kids to talk to him.

Of course there will be a learning curve to occupying the big chair, but working under Bennett I think he has seen it done the right way. He only needs to be adequate at this part of the job to get us to the middle of the C-USA pack, and if he is decent at it, we are going to surprise some people.

I hope this is the beginning of the revolving door of Head Coaches leaving us to go to P5 schools. Welcome to Niner Nation Coach Sanchez.

6 Likes

Great effing post, nugget.

The more I read on Sanchez, the more optimistic I get. Seems to be a good recruiter, good coach and a good person who related well to the student athlete.

Iā€™m not excited by the spin that heā€™ll have years to get his HC legs under him. I think we all wanted someone who could turn things around relatively quickly, not be part of a painful 5+ year rebuild. Hoops should show an immediate improvement with a goal of NCAAs by year 3 at the latest. Anything less and why did we bother?

Sanchez may be fully committed to that. Weā€™ll see at the presser.

http://www.dailyprogress.com/cavalierinsider/reports-uva-assistant-sanchez-will-become-head-coach-at-unc/article_aca86ed8-2bad-11e8-8b38-efe4f0db8c04.html

UNC-Charlotte and Barry Lutzā€¦gotta love it.

clt wants to know his thoughts about the student experience.

I would love to have Charlotte as a revolving door for coaches going to P5 programs. That would mean we are winning every year. It would be fun to be like Xavier of 5-10 years ago when they lost their coach every 3 years to P5. They were in the dance every year.

Iā€™m interested in this hire. Like a lot of people, I would like a head coach but we might not be able to afford that currently. As long as he brings a winning mindset and culture Iā€™ll be happy!

What part of the last 13 years and our current one-bid conference gives you hope for a NCAA bid relatively quickly? We are currently the worst program in one of the worst leagues. Thereā€™s only up to go from here, but we are a million miles closer to '05 NC A&T than '05 Charlotte. Iā€™d be happy with just being watchable in the next 2 or 3 years.

Where did you hear JD and AW would transfer ?

1 Like

Part of the reason CUSA has been a one bid conference is because of the poor performances we have given since we joined.

I never said hope. I discussed expectation, and it certainly isnā€™t based on recent performance. The entire point of hiring a new AD was to turn around our program starting with its expectations, and as Mike Hill said, basketball has to be taken care of immediately. He asked for time on football, and I will allow that, but basketball cannot afford a prolonged rebuild.

Pete Themal commented on the hire today. His last tweet before that was about UConn moving back to the Big East for hoops, which would mean they will also need a football home. That will open up a spot in the AAC if and when it happens. We must do everything we can do repair the damage of the last decade+ to at least be in that conversation and anything less than driving towards those goals is pointless and unacceptable.