Ron Sanchez Positive Thoughts Thread

How do you realistically propose we get those? Schedule losses? We got to play State for years, until we beat them. We’ve had one scheduled game against the Tarholes in the whole time we’ve had a program, we played USC, until we beat them, same with Clemson. Wake at least has played us here.

I guess we could keep playing at Duke, if we want the loss. Look at just how many visiting teams win games at these venues, ever, except if they’re top 20 teams.

It just might be our budget that keeps us from buying games or keeps us from traveling all around the country to play tougher teams. But if we’re not playing ACC schools, most people in this area, that aren’t already fans, could care less .

Not sold on RS but we have seen NET ranking improvement over the last 3 seasons:

2021 - 231
2022 - 188
2023 - 116

If the NET calculation methodology has not changed, one could say that these numbers are very telling.

Yeah except its good for tournament resume if you win and its goid for recruiting. I doubt our budget is holding us back from anything

The teams we beat as the underdog were:

Boise State - MBI
@ Davidson
@ WKU
North Texas

Vegas had the game at LA Tech listed as even.

Here is a positive thought on Ron, the size of this thread just passed 1% the size of the fire Ron thread. Keep it up!!!

clt says ron has a cool nickname, sanchize

The Tenn game, Georgetown, Arkansas, FSU just in recent years, wake and Clemson for sure, doesn’t always have to be an ACC school. Indiana, Miami, USC are other good ones we have had. Maybe we do schedule the loss - you aren’t ever gonna beat them if you don’t go play them. We need to anyone anytime anywhere mentality. Take those road games with no return game.

We don’t need a scheduled full of them but no reason we can’t have a P5 at least on the road every season. Mix in one or two Brands/P5s with some solid local G5s and a few cupcakes.

I know scheduling isn’t easy and the other teams have to agree - but I have no doubt we can do better than what we had this year.

Agree about scheduling but North Texas was unable to get a P6 on their OOC sked this season. Mean Green did get a game with #11 Saint Mary’s but got massacred in Moraga by 30 points!

Your memories aren’t exactly right on some of those…we didn’t “play State a bunch” before we beat them. Also, both Clemson and SC have played in Halton, Wake has not. Of course, Alabama, Indiana, Tennessee, Miss State, Miami, VT and others have played us in Halton as well. Some won, some lost.

1 Like

Gotta wonder what their parameters were though. H/H? 1 game away? Open dates? Lots of things go into scheduling of course and I know we have had some challenges, but I also know we have been successful more times than not at putting together decent OOC schedules.

Actually, Wake has played in Halton.

1 Like

Sorry, i forgot that one. I remembered Spectrum and in the old Coliseum…and the one in Halton was the most recent one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We also played Wake twice in the same season in the 1980s. They won at our home court (not Halton) and we won at their home court.

Was in W-S for that Niners win. The old War Memorial Coliseum was a dump - right up there with Freedom Hall!

The scheduling part is hard to judge a coach on because no one really knows who they tried to get and who they turned down. At the same time you have to find home games to fill out the schedule too.

I would love a few more tougher opponents including at least one P6 school. In addition would rather play a more regional school or former conference foe with some history (ie Marshall, Xavier, Dayton, etc. over the the UMES or Detroit Mercy.

1 Like

clt says take advantage of CLT and get games with quality east coast teams, no more detroit or lowly sunbelt

1 Like

This is supposed to be a Sanchez Positive Thoughts thread guys! Gone on.

Sanchez has not been accused of any recruiting violations.

Ron Burgundy Anchorman GIF by Ben L

1 Like

Can’t completely rule out Sun Belt when it had 4 teams that finished in the top 100 of the NET.

Anyway, as already posted, Dusty May contacted around 100 schools in putting together FAU’ OOC sked for this season and the only P6 response he received was from Florida - while “old boss” Mike White was still at UF - and Ole Miss. And, as one would expect, only said OK to games with the Owls as the visitor. Scheduling definitely not easy.

1 Like