Shooting At VT

The guidance dept. at my school is checking to see if any of our alumni are at VT (none are known for sure). Some people I graduated from HS with are VT alums, and they’re utterly devastated. I can’t imagine something like this happening at Charlotte.

I'll be really pissed if this student was here on an edu visa.

per foxnews.com

“The Chicago Sun-Times reported Monday night that authorities are investigating whether the gunman was a 24-year-old Chinese man who arrived in the U.S. last year on a student visa issued in Shanghai.”

Kudos to WCOS for good fact fining. The current police chief of Monroe was the VT Police Chief through last July. She actually hired 2/3 of the current force. The first shootings were just one month after her departure. They were interviewing her yesterday. I can’t find a link to video yet, but if I do I will post it.

Fox new is reporting the killer is a young twenties Chinese national here recently from Shanghi. How the hell does a foreign national buy guns in the US? He doesn’t. Fox is reporting both pistols had their serial numbers filed off, i.e., illegal weapons buy. Better question is how did this guy get in our country? This will lead back again to the post 9/11 commision recommendations on tighter boaders and immigration controls, none of which was acted upon buy our gov’t!!!

Yes, we are our worst enemy.

Correction: Killer ID’ed as 23 yr old Korean English student.

[QUOTE=NinerFan;233462]Fox new is reporting the killer is a young twenties Chinese national here recently from Shanghi. How the hell does a foreign national buy guns in the US? He doesn’t. Fox is reporting both pistols had their serial numbers filed off, i.e., illegal weapons buy. Better question is how did this guy get in our country? This will lead back again to the post 9/11 commision recommendations on tighter boaders and immigration controls, none of which was acted upon buy our gov’t!!!

Yes, we are our worst enemy.

Correction: Killer ID’ed as 23 yr old Korean English student.[/QUOTE]
The only short coming here is how he got the weapons. I don’t see how his presence in America comes into question. The story that has surfaced thus far that it was a domestic issue. People are too quick to start throwing blame on everything and everyone. The only other screw up that I could fathom is why the University didn’t shut down when they didn’t have the shooter. But I’m sure that will be handled differently from now on across the nation.

Correction: Killer ID'ed as 23 yr old Korean English student.

Resident alien as well (Green card). The FBI does a name search (Soundex based so alternate spellings included) for everyone before their greencard is approved. That means basically as far as the FBI was concerned he never committed a crime abroad.

Just an FYI.

See, I would firs tassume he was a Korean Gangsta. But then I gotta think, why would he go phsyco and kill everyone? Maybe it was his ‘first love’ and he flipped when his girl left him?

There's no way this can be put into words. My friends have lost friends and I feel for them. My gf's close friend is still awaiting word on 3 of them.

The RA that was killed was two weeks from graduation with a few degrees, in addition to his involvement in Marching Band.

This whole thing is extremely sickening and depressing, 32 people did not have to die today.

That sickens me. Why such young and bright futures were laid to waste, because of one kids rage.

[QUOTE=NinerLoudNProud;233482]Resident alien as well (Green card). The FBI does a name search (Soundex based so alternate spellings included) for everyone before their greencard is approved. That means basically as far as the FBI was concerned he never committed a crime abroad.

Just an FYI.[/QUOTE]

I would like to know how this guy obtained his weapons. I don’t see how a green card holder is allowed to legally purchase firearms. Fox reported two conflicting facts: The serial numbers were filed off the pistols, however they found a ‘receipt’ for the 9mm. This was a very premeditated massacre.

Look at the list of victims: America’s best and brightest. How sad and tragic. Something needs to be done to try and prevent this type of tragedy from happening again.

I would like to know how this guy obtained his weapons.

The same way another other criminal would? I don’t think the black market asks for a birth certificate. Your money is the same as mine is the same as his.

Well thats why I thought he might of been involved in crime before this incident. However, he could of easily of bought them, as green card holders are basically the same as a citizen. There not any kind of second class citizen.

I would like to know how this guy obtained his weapons. I don't see how a green card holder is allowed to legally purchase firearms. Fox reported two conflicting facts: The serial numbers were filed off the pistols, however they found a 'receipt' for the 9mm. This was a very premeditated massacre.

Look at the list of victims: America’s best and brightest. How sad and tragic. Something needs to be done to try and prevent this type of tragedy from happening again.

In VA a legal resident alien (green card) can purchase firearms, after a more extensive background check.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3048534

he was here on a student visa though wasn’t he?

I dont think he would need a student visa if he had a green card. Green card mean Permanent resident, I think. I could be wrong though

I dont think he would need a student visa if he had a green card. Green card mean Permanent resident, I think. I could be wrong though

Correct. Updated info says he came here with his parents in 1992. He’s been here a while. Renewed his 10 year green card in 2003.

Apparently one of the faculty members at VT sacraficed his life keeping the shooter out of a classroom and giving students time to escape out windows. I’ve seen this quoted in a few articles but I’ll post the man’s wikipedia biography:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liviu_Librescu

Reports indicate that Cho was a dysfunctional loner. The girl killed was NOT his girlfriend, nor even knew him. The guy appears to have flaked.

I’m sure in the days ahead facts will come out that this guy gave signs he was going to flake, go postal.

Green card holders should not be allowed to buy firearms-> That’s to liberal a policy.

The VPI President and Police Chief are in a lot of hot water over their inaction after the first two killings-> Sounds as if most parents want them fired for incompetence. I don’t blame them.

if he was a whack job that flaked, and it was all premeditated there is nothing that would’ve stopped his actions barring someone that knew him and found out before it happened. might could’ve been minimized to less deaths but still would’ve happened.

have they said if he was an engineering student yet? Since it looks like he had bought fully into the class warfare crap I wonder if he was targeting the ‘future rich kids’ or something in Engineering?

The professor who sacrificed himself…

[URL=http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266506,00.html]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266506,00.html[/URL]

[QUOTE=NinerOne;233534]have they said if he was an engineering student yet? Since it looks like he had bought fully into the class warfare crap I wonder if he was targeting the ‘future rich kids’ or something in Engineering?[/QUOTE]

He was an English major.