SIU POSTGAME

So how was this game different than the ones before it? The box score tells me these storiesā€¦

• AnJuan attacked the basket and was money from the line
  • Ian was on the mark from 3-point land
  • Was Rashad playing point?
  • Lamont Mack is STILL cold

our offense was much smoother. Phil had a couple good assists from the low post. Mack too some 3ā€™s, but most were ā€œgood looksā€. Dew really struggled again.

Phil's gotta get more than 5 shots. 19 minutes, 5 shots, 7 points, 4 rebounds, 4 blocks, 2 fouls. Unless he got those 2 fouls early it looks like he deserves more minutes. When you have a 6'10" center who is shooting over 80% from the FT line, you need to feed him the ball more.
have you ever thought he is not conditioned enough to play 30 min?
Wow. 15 of our 20 FGs were assisted.
don't want to be negative nancy, but we still had more to's than asst.

I am very pumped about the final play of the game getting executed to Woodenā€™s standards, in one of the toughest gyms in America.

I thought when we lost our 7 point lead with 4:00 we were doneā€¦we finally nutted up

anyone notice Mack played 20 min? thats a major decrease

have you ever thought he is not conditioned enough to play 30 min?

You really think so?

anyone notice Mack played 20 min? thats a major decrease

Mackā€™s been cold all year long. Heā€™s probably been one of the biggest disappointments of the entire season. Maybe Lutz finally decided to sit him down.

I donā€™t take Mack playing less as a knock on him - I think he was trying to do to much and it was limiting his effectiveness at key points in the game.

You really think so?

I do. Lutz has mentioned many times it is his biggest issue. Sitting out an entire year is pretty tough to come back to. Iā€™m sure he could play 30 mins, but heā€™ll likely only be highly effective for 20 min so why have him hurt you for 10 when you can chose his 20?

My 2 cents:

I like that the last play wasnā€™t a 3 first. As long as Wilderness looks that good on his free throws, he should have the first option on the last play in general (or else Jones). Good call by Lutz.

Jones continues to play well, and seemed pretty good on D too. His hook shot is finally beginning to fall.

Harris sometimes pushes the ball a bit much, seems he could save some energy when itā€™s 2 on 5 or similar and bring it up a bit more slowly.

I hope Coleman is really ok. He seems to have had nagging injuries already. Good things seem to happen when he drives the baseline.

Some nice feeds into the low post (which donā€™t always show up as assists). Havenā€™t seem much of that. If Withers had gotten those feeds his senior year, heā€™d have absolutely killed the A10.

Dew doesnā€™t have his confidence back, probably time to think about sitting him for a bit. Turnovers are killing us.

We primarily won b/c Andersen was on fire tonight (6-8 from 3). If he does that consistently, then he should keep firing away. The problem is when he (or our other shooters) are off, we shoot ourselves out of the game. Hope he keeps making those things. They werenā€™t all bad shots, but a few were imo. Then again, SIU is a tough place to win even when youā€™re hitting shots, so this is a nice win and a good team effort.

Enjoy the win. :49ers:

We primarily won b/c Andersen was on fire tonight (6-8 from 3). If he does that consistently, then he should keep firing away. The problem is when he (or our other shooters) are off, we shoot ourselves out of the game. Hope he keeps making those things. They weren't all bad shots, but a few were imo. Then again, SIU is a tough place to win even when you're hitting shots, so this is a nice win and a good team effort.

Agreed. Ian tonight was last yearā€™s Leemire. But when heā€™s off, we play miserable basketball. Niner basketball continues to be very dependent on a 3-point shooter. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnā€™t. Itā€™s changing with AnJuan, Phil, etcā€¦but I donā€™t knowā€¦

[QUOTE=metro;368117]anyone notice Mack played 20 min? thats a major decrease[/QUOTE]

I know its hard to believe but coming in Mack was only avg. 22 mins. He was 7th in mins played & 1st in TOsā€¦ I thought he was playing 40 mins a game as much as he was pissing me off. I looked at the stats a few days ago. Harris was #1 followed by Coley then Wildernessā€¦

[QUOTE=metro;368116]donā€™t want to be negative nancy, but we still had more toā€™s than asst.[/QUOTE]
They had 15 assists on 20 baskets, thatā€™s 75%, which is extraordinary. The negative is shooting 41.7% (43.8% from behind the arc).

What does Phil need to do to get another year of eligibility? What year is Harris and is he in the same situation as Jones regarding eligibility?

Thought we were done when they went up 4ā€¦finally pulled out a close one. Got to give credit to the team and Bobby for not giving up and fighting till the end. Definitely get Phil more offensive opportunities. Many have said that Bobby does not develop players and I agree on several but looks like Phil is taking major steps. Good to seeā€¦hope it continues.

Forgot what it was like to win! Awesome. Go Niners.

[QUOTE=Gas49er;368150]What does Phil need to do to get another year of eligibility? What year is Harris and is he in the same situation as Jones regarding eligibility?[/QUOTE]

Jones has to finish 80% of his coursework by his senior year to get a 4th year. Utter said recently he is on pace to do that. Harris is a Jr, but he was a Juco transfer so he is not eligible for a 4th season.

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;368100]We were actually down by 4, Ian hits a 3, then we get ball back, Lamont misses stupid 3 attempt, Dijuan Fouls Mullins, he hits both, Ian then hits another 3.

We are tied, the final play was a Wilderness drive to the basket with kickout options to Ian or Mack. Wilderness got fouled and hit both FTs.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.
Good to hear about Ian hitting some shots, not sure he needs to lead our offense but we need him to hit some 3s.
And good about Anjuan, he should be a go to guy when we need a score.

[QUOTE=metro;368115]have you ever thought he is not conditioned enough to play 30 min?[/QUOTE]

Thereā€™s a lot of room between 19 and 30 that he could be playing, if Lutz says he can go 25 a game then he should be out there 25 a game. And the major point is that we need to run more offense for him. Heā€™s got solid post moves, he will continue to get fouled and he actually converts the FTs. Heā€™s shooting 53% from the field and 83% from the line, he should be taking more shots with that kind of production.

Maybe I missed it, but is there any reason why Barnett didnā€™t play?

Maybe I missed it, but is there any reason why Barnett didn't play?

Wonder if heā€™s in the dog house. Q to ask at LL.

I donā€™t think weā€™ll win many games when we donā€™t have a player shooting 3s like Ian did. Our offense just seems to need someone to hit six or so 3s a game to functionā€¦

Mack still shot more than anyone else, and still had the worst percentage (other than Gaby 0-1, but that doesnā€™t count).