So, where's the FIRE LOREN HIBBS thread?

It also ties into an issue others have with our program. If we’re striving to be a big time AD, we have to expect big time results from every program we field. You have to be committed to all sports and committed to big time academics to get into the big boy leagues.

Our academic record continually improves, but we must be better in all sports.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:28, topic:28724”][quote=“49erAlumnus, post:24, topic:28724”]I won’t tell you that’s he’s exceptional. Hell, this is Charlotte. If he was exceptional, he’d be gone for bigger bucks. That being said, he’s been good. Especially since 2007 when we opened The Hayes. I still think he can do better.

If fans are upset, I can live with that. I’d like to think that we have people that cared about the direction of the program. I just hope that the concern is genuine.[/quote]

I hope you know that I am sincere when I say that I want and hope for better from our baseball program. I understand that message board politics cloudy this subject, but I have always enjoyed going to our games, especially when we played in Kannapolis. Sports are a passionate subject and that kind of subjectivity makes it difficult to talk about it, I get that too.
[font=verdana]
But, there is a clear divide in how accountable coaches have been held. I think Hibbs has gotten off pretty easy, we don’t hold him nearly as accountable as our men’s basketball coach. That doesn’t really bother me as much because it isn’t a revenue generator, I just don’t think we should champion his results. [/font][/quote]

I definitely did not mean to insinuate that you don’t want to see the team win. I know better. If it came off that way, my bad.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I feel like I’ve been fairly even-handed with all of our coaches. I gave Alan 4 years to show something. I’m about to give him a fifth whether I like it or not. I’m giving Loren two seasons to make us competitive in C-USA.

I hope anyone who has met me knows I am very genuine in my love and concern for this school. There is a good group of people who care a lot about this school and they’ve had that trust betrayed by our performance in all sports. Even football.

I have been very vocal about my fears that a move to CUSA is a move to accepting a lessened role in the sports world. I hope it isn’t true, but it very easy to fall into that kind of trap and we MUST be better. We have to be elite in this conference.

Can you explain what you mean by this?

Can you explain what you mean by this?[/quote]

Sure. I think our football team lost to programs we shouldn’t have lost to. Sometimes in an embarrassing fashion. Let me be very clear in that I think they deserve a pass on that, and on many things for the first few years. But, losing to a non-scholarship school is hard on a fan base. Getting blown out at home by an “inferior” program is hard on your fan base.

ODU came into college football and succeeded. We came in and were okay.

I think anytime rev sport compared to non rev…its wasting bandwidth

I don’t like baseball, but I like Coach Hibbs. I really do appreciate and expect athletes to be students too, and decent citizens. He gets the job done there.

It does not make sense to compare Hibbs’ $80k to Major’s $500k. How does Hibb’s salary compare to other baseball coaches? I do not expect him to make Clemson money, or Rice money, but how does he compare to the A-10 coaches he has been competing against for 8 years? I hope he is compensated near the top of that list, because he performed at that level. How does he compare to most of C-USA? We probably need to be prepared to pay him more if he competes towards the top of this conference too.

I think we pay all of our coaches to win. As long as we pay in the top 1/3 of our conference I don’t think any coach gets a pass on the regular season championship being their goal. There is an ebb-and-flow to recruiting and graduation, and baseball has certainly jumped up a level, but he is here to win.

[quote=“Nugget, post:47, topic:28724”]I don’t like baseball, but I like Coach Hibbs. I really do appreciate and expect athletes to be students too, and decent citizens. He gets the job done there.

It does not make sense to compare Hibbs’ $80k to Major’s $500k. How does Hibb’s salary compare to other baseball coaches? I do not expect him to make Clemson money, or Rice money, but how does he compare to the A-10 coaches he has been competing against for 8 years? I hope he is compensated near the top of that list, because he performed at that level. How does he compare to most of C-USA? We probably need to be prepared to pay him more if he competes towards the top of this conference too.

I think we pay all of our coaches to win. As long as we pay in the top 1/3 of our conference I don’t think any coach gets a pass on the regular season championship being their goal. There is an ebb-and-flow to recruiting and graduation, and baseball has certainly jumped up a level, but he is here to win.[/quote]

Hibbs makes $70k. He just signed an extension this past off season through 2018.

Hard to find data for our conference right away but Billy Godwin at ECU makes $152,500 according the the NC database.

EDIT:

Found some data

William Godwin – East Carolina - $152,500
Chris Finwood – Old Dominion - $150,000
Henry “Turtle” Thomas – FIU $102,000
John McCormack – FAU -$92,600
James McGuire – Middle Tennessee - $85,000
Wade Simoneaux - Louisiana Tech - $80,000
Sherman Corbett – UTSA (Former) - $72,768
Loren Hibbs – Charlotte - $70,000
Jeff Waggoner – Marshall - $61,340.13

Tulane- N/A
UAB - N/A
Rice - N/A
Southern Miss - N/A

One of the biggest differences is that a lot of people on this board do not live in Charlotte, therefore, a lot of can’t make it to every football, basketball, and baseball game. A lot of us just make it down when we can or follow it on the radio. With basketball you can stream almost any game and watch it. That isn’t the case with baseball. Therefore, a lot of people simply do not care as much about baseball as they do basketball and football. It is that way at pretty much every university.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:43, topic:28724”]I hope anyone who has met me knows I am very genuine in my love and concern for this school. There is a good group of people who care a lot about this school and they’ve had that trust betrayed by our performance in all sports. Even football.

I have been very vocal about my fears that a move to CUSA is a move to accepting a lessened role in the sports world. I hope it isn’t true, but it very easy to fall into that kind of trap and we MUST be better. We have to be elite in this conference.[/quote]

I want to be elite in every sport too but it costs money. Let’s raise the student fees!!

I give what I can to athletics. I wish I could give more.

I give what I can to athletics. I wish I could give more.[/quote]

Yep. Me too. Our fanbase is pretty much tapped out.

Yep. Me too. What’s left of our fanbase is pretty much tapped out.[/quote]

FTFY

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:48, topic:28724”][quote=“Nugget, post:47, topic:28724”]I don’t like baseball, but I like Coach Hibbs. I really do appreciate and expect athletes to be students too, and decent citizens. He gets the job done there.

I think we pay all of our coaches to win. As long as we pay in the top 1/3 of our conference I don’t think any coach gets a pass on the regular season championship being their goal. There is an ebb-and-flow to recruiting and graduation, and baseball has certainly jumped up a level, but he is here to win.[/quote]

Hibbs makes $70k. He just signed an extension this past off season through 2018.

Hard to find data for our conference right away but Billy Godwin at ECU makes $152,500 according the the NC database.

EDIT:

Found some data

William Godwin – East Carolina - $152,500
Chris Finwood – Old Dominion - $150,000
Henry “Turtle” Thomas – FIU $102,000
John McCormack – FAU -$92,600
James McGuire – Middle Tennessee - $85,000
Wade Simoneaux - Louisiana Tech - $80,000
Sherman Corbett – UTSA (Former) - $72,768
Loren Hibbs – Charlotte - $70,000
Jeff Waggoner – Marshall - $61,340.13

Tulane- N/A
UAB - N/A
Rice - N/A
Southern Miss - N/A[/quote]
Usm is essentially an SEC program. Salary would be 150k minimum. Maybe 200k

Yep. Me too. Our fanbase is pretty much tapped out.[/quote]

It’s not tapped out, but our AD has zero ability to raise funds other than jacking up student fees and 2-3 big donors.

It’s not tapped out, but our AD has zero ability to raise funds other than jacking up student fees and 2-3 big donors.[/quote]

They wouldn’t have to do anything but see their flagship program win to get more money out of me.

I bet other programs’ ADs would absolutely LOVE to be blessed by being in the Charlotte market. Too bad ours can’t find a way to loop in all of the money in this area to our program.

It’s not tapped out, but our AD has zero ability to raise funds other than jacking up student fees and 2-3 big donors.[/quote]

I’m also pretty sure some of our fanbase have asked themselves what’s the use in donating as much as they do, and have reduced their donations. That is somewhat understandable, but I’m not sure if we are replenishing the fans and contributions as quickly as we are losing them.

^^^
All my buddies from uncc who played a sport here, making 100-200k and hardly none give. No interest

Tapped out. Nah

^^^
All my buddies from uncc who played a sport here, making 100-200k and hardly none give. No interest

Tapped out. Nah[/quote]

I said our FANBASE was tapped out. Not our alumni base.