Spears staying or going?

[quote=ā€œ9erken, post:35, topic:22867ā€][quote=ā€œsreniN, post:25, topic:22867ā€]wow. im kinda surprised by these responses. Spears is a quality player that helps us out a lot.

i understand the sentiments, but we really need to keep him to be a top of the league contender next year.[/quote]I really donā€™t think weā€™ll be a top of the league contender next year even with Spears on the team.

I agree with those that say this thread is pointless. Who knows what Spears is thinking? Maybe heā€™s worried the new coach will want to let him go. Maybe he is worried the new coach will be a jerk. Or maybe he is not sure who is going to transfer out, and wondering if this will leave him unhappy to stay around or if heā€™d be better off trying to get an overseas contract before the team implodes. If I was in his situation, Iā€™d probably be wondering about whatā€™s in my best interest for next year too. Probably better to wait and see what the players actually do before saying things like ā€œif he doesnā€™t like it, he can leaveā€¦ā€[/quote]

I wouldnā€™t think a new coach would want a top scorer in his last season to leave. Any top scorer for that matter. BUT i can see where a player in his last year and most likely not being drafted in the NBA could possibly be harder to coach. This is where maturity and professionalism and THE LOVE OF THE GAME comes into play.

But if he could make $100K+ overseas and start his career early over thereā€¦ not a bad idea imo.

Iā€™m a big believer in make your money while you can. I canā€™t fully understand why players turn down millions going pro for one more year of college. A big risk imo. Injuries happen.

[quote=ā€œcibik02, post:41, topic:22867ā€][quote=ā€œ9erken, post:35, topic:22867ā€][quote=ā€œsreniN, post:25, topic:22867ā€]wow. im kinda surprised by these responses. Spears is a quality player that helps us out a lot.

i understand the sentiments, but we really need to keep him to be a top of the league contender next year.[/quote]I really donā€™t think weā€™ll be a top of the league contender next year even with Spears on the team.

I agree with those that say this thread is pointless. Who knows what Spears is thinking? Maybe heā€™s worried the new coach will want to let him go. Maybe he is worried the new coach will be a jerk. Or maybe he is not sure who is going to transfer out, and wondering if this will leave him unhappy to stay around or if heā€™d be better off trying to get an overseas contract before the team implodes. If I was in his situation, Iā€™d probably be wondering about whatā€™s in my best interest for next year too. Probably better to wait and see what the players actually do before saying things like ā€œif he doesnā€™t like it, he can leaveā€¦ā€[/quote]

I wouldnā€™t think a new coach would want a top scorer in his last season to leave. Any top scorer for that matter. BUT i can see where a player in his last year and most likely not being drafted in the NBA could possibly be harder to coach. This is where maturity and professionalism and THE LOVE OF THE GAME comes into play.

But if he could make $100K+ overseas and start his career early over thereā€¦ not a bad idea imo.

Iā€™m a big believer in make your money while you can. I canā€™t fully understand why players turn down millions going pro for one more year of college. A big risk imo. Injuries happen.[/quote]
FWIW, we have placed tons of guys in Europe, Asia, and Australia in pro leagues, I canā€™t even begin to count. Hell we might lead the NCAA in them. But neve seen a kid go overseas after his JR year.

I will hold judgment on this thing, maybe he has a personal reason. However if he is whining because its basketball coach related, then he needs put a muzzle on it if he has any intention of being a 49er.

Change happens the rest of your life. Deal

I wonder if he graduates in May like Dewhurst?

Just the fact that he posted in on facebook for the world to see shows a lack of maturity.

Love his basketball skills and would like to see him stay on the team and usher in this new era, but if he doesnā€™t want to, he doesnā€™t want to.

Obviously he wants everyone to talk about it if he put it out there. Maybe he needs someone to cuddle him a little and tell him how great he is . I hope the new Coach can give him a hug. Whatever.

Any Coach we bring in will seem like a disclipinarian compared to Lutz.

When you make a move like this there will be fallout and you have better be prepared for it. It is the old 2 steps back before moving in a better (hopefully) direction.

This is part of the problem with the Lutz years. Misses on recruits and transfers coming in knowing they have the offensive freedom(I believe that is the phrase Lutz would use) to ā€œget theirsā€.

I do not know Spears but on the court he always seemed one step from out of control at all times. I noticed his tirades against some of our freshman especially Sirin that could not have been productive but who knows how things get sorted out after the heat of the battle.

If he chooses to go good luck and I am sure he did not sign on for this but we are ā€œrebuildingā€ and situation like this are part of the rebuilding process.

Can everyone stop acting like the guy is satan, sheeshā€¦ Heā€™s a good player, and passionate. Iā€™d rather have passion than not caring.

Hitler was very passionate

Hitler was very passionate[/quote]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwinā€™s_law

Boy oh boy, more of the ā€œthis guy has a bad attitude!ā€

Harris was a cancer, now Spears is one too!

Spears is probably just upset because a coach he liked got fired. He wasnā€™t a cancer and he wasnā€™t always a shot or a TO with the ball either. Yes, sometimes he ball hogged, but with good reason. There were plenty of times that he was double teamed that he couldnā€™t pass out because the defenders were too big and no one was coming to help. He does only have three seconds in the paint to make a decision.

Metro, didnā€™t you say Bobby was not easy on these guys? That being the reason guys like Bowden left? Bobby was a coach with no discipline and it was obvious. Players drinking and smoking with alums after the game, sloppy play on the court, players ignore the coach and each other, etc. There is a laundry list of problems generated from his lack of control over the teams.

I seriously hope Spears doesnā€™t leave. He made our entire team a lot better.

Iā€™d be surprised if we had finished better than .500 without Spears last year.

Hitler was very passionate[/quote]

Hitler was a shitty basketball player though.

[Can everyone stop acting like the guy is satan, sheeshā€¦ Heā€™s a good player, and passionate. Iā€™d rather have passion than not caring.

I agree. Spears is a passionate player, sometimes overboard, but nevertheless someone I would want on my team. Yes, he is a handfulā€¦maybe even cost Bobby his job with the lack of disciplined shown throgh his behavior and weight issuesā€¦but still a talent I would want around for a new coach to have.

Im not sure if they changed or notā€¦dont think so but a D1 player cannot transfer laterally or down (D2, D3, NAIA) without sitting out a yearā€¦however, a player can transfer up (NAIA to D1) without sittingā€¦that is the way it was when I was aroundā€¦

If he leaves, we have no chance at competing next year.

[quote=ā€œsreniN, post:25, topic:22867ā€]wow. im kinda surprised by these responses. Spears is a quality player that helps us out a lot.

i understand the sentiments, but we really need to keep him to be a top of the league contender next year.[/quote]

Thereā€™s been Spearā€™s bashing once the team started to go south. I donā€™t get it either. He was the focal point of our offense, that demanded double and triple teams from opposing teams.

Before he got here, there was a picture floating around of him jawing with Kyle Singler. People were saying ā€œI love it. We havenā€™t had a player with attitude for a long timeā€. The team was accused of not nutting up against Duke and ODU. Spears was about the only one to intimidate. Now all of a sudden heā€™s a cancer.

[quote=ā€œninerdad101, post:52, topic:22867ā€][Can everyone stop acting like the guy is satan, sheeshā€¦ Heā€™s a good player, and passionate. Iā€™d rather have passion than not caring.

I agree. Spears is a passionate player, sometimes overboard, but nevertheless someone I would want on my team. Yes, he is a handfulā€¦maybe even cost Bobby his job with the lack of disciplined shown throgh his behavior and weight issuesā€¦but still a talent I would want around for a new coach to have.

Im not sure if they changed or notā€¦dont think so but a D1 player cannot transfer laterally or down (D2, D3, NAIA) without sitting out a yearā€¦however, a player can transfer up (NAIA to D1) without sittingā€¦that is the way it was when I was aroundā€¦[/quote]

STOP THE PRESSES!

NINERDAD MADE A NON-TROLL POST

Thatā€™s what Duquesneā€™s Shawn James (older brother of URIā€™s Delroy James) did after the 2007-08 season, but donā€™t ever recall a Niner menā€™s basketball player doing that. I do know Jon Busch left the menā€™s soccer team after his junior year in 1996, but it wasnā€™t to go overseas. Hmmmā€¦

[quote=ā€œNormmm, post:54, topic:22867ā€][quote=ā€œsreniN, post:25, topic:22867ā€]wow. im kinda surprised by these responses. Spears is a quality player that helps us out a lot.

i understand the sentiments, but we really need to keep him to be a top of the league contender next year.[/quote]

Thereā€™s been Spearā€™s bashing once the team started to go south. I donā€™t get it either. He was the focal point of our offense, that demanded double and triple teams from opposing teams.

Before he got here, there was a picture floating around of him jawing with Kyle Singler. People were saying ā€œI love it. We havenā€™t had a player with attitude for a long timeā€. The team was accused of not nutting up against Duke and ODU. Spears was about the only one to intimidate. Now all of a sudden heā€™s a cancer.[/quote]

Back to the age old question, who does our fan base hate more, the team or each other?

I donā€™t think anyone is saying he is a cancer, but what they are saying is if he is going to have a problem with a disciplinarian coach or any new coach for that matter, then it could be a problem.

[quote=ā€œninerdad101, post:52, topic:22867ā€]Im not sure if they changed or notā€¦dont think so but a D1 player cannot transfer laterally or down (D2, D3, NAIA) without sitting out a yearā€¦however, a player can transfer up (NAIA to D1) without sittingā€¦that is the way it was when I was aroundā€¦[/quote]Other way around. Can transfer down and donā€™t have to sit out. Transfer up and sit out a year, which is what Xavierā€™s Andrew Taylor had to do when he left D-II Hillsdale College in Michigan for Cincy. Ditto for La Salleā€™s Steve Weingarten when he transferred from D-III Connecticut College.

[quote=ā€œninerdad101, post:52, topic:22867ā€][Can everyone stop acting like the guy is satan, sheeshā€¦ Heā€™s a good player, and passionate. Iā€™d rather have passion than not caring.

Im not sure if they changed or notā€¦dont think so but a D1 player cannot transfer laterally or down (D2, D3, NAIA) without sitting out a yearā€¦however, a player can transfer up (NAIA to D1) without sittingā€¦that is the way it was when I was aroundā€¦[/quote]

Good to see you coming around with more level headed comments.

So we know you arenā€™t one of Lutzā€™s daughters. Are you Diego? Tremaine? Dalonte?