State of Charlotte Flag

While weā€™re talking about the University seal, can someone tell me what itā€™s supposed to represent and where it came from?

Thatā€™d be great, thaaanks.

[quote=ā€œSteauA, post:41, topic:27896ā€]While weā€™re talking about the University seal, can someone tell me what itā€™s supposed to represent and where it came from?

Thatā€™d be great, thaaanks.[/quote]
This isnā€™t anything official, but Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s close. There might be something about it in Sanfordā€™s book, but itā€™s too late to get up and look.

top part: Kennedy entrance, first building on campus
back-to-back Cs: Charlotte College
pinecone: Bonnie Cone, of course

Has ā€œUniversity of Charlotteā€ been copywrited? Unless the school has already done this for some reason, I wouldnā€™t see anymore issues using ā€œUniversity of Charlotteā€ as you would for ā€œState of Charlotteā€. And I donā€™t care if it riles up the anti-name changers. Thatā€™s kind of the point. The anti-football movement didnā€™t deter folks from making window decals and such, so I wouldnā€™t worry about it making them mad. If they ask about it, then we can educate them why it should be changed to University of Charlotte. Itā€™s a good way to start a grassroots movement toward the name change.

itā€™s not my rules about flags, itā€™s the accepted rules of flag design from vexillologists around the world.

Of course, Canada does have a great flag. So does the USA.

Canada, shnmada. >:(

Actually, I do love the Canadian Flagā€¦ very sharp.

I do like the idea of our crown as opposed to the city crown. Either way, nice work on that flag Hooner.

LOVE the idea of a pick axe in the center and let it be the X thatā€™s been shown previously!

I actually made one with our crown overtop of some crossed pickaxes last night. Pretty sure thatā€™s going to be my final designā€¦ just trying to figure out which colors go where.

Unfortunately, failure to follow the ā€œsave early, save oftenā€ rule bit me square in the ass last night. Iā€™ll remake it tonight.

[quote=ā€œX-49er, post:43, topic:27896ā€]Has ā€œUniversity of Charlotteā€ been copywrited? Unless the school has already done this for some reason, I wouldnā€™t see anymore issues using ā€œUniversity of Charlotteā€ as you would for ā€œState of Charlotteā€. And I donā€™t care if it riles up the anti-name changers. Thatā€™s kind of the point. The anti-football movement didnā€™t deter folks from making window decals and such, so I wouldnā€™t worry about it making them mad. If they ask about it, then we can educate them why it should be changed to University of Charlotte. Itā€™s a good way to start a grassroots movement toward the name change.[/quote]I wonder how the Queens University of Charlotte would feel about us going this route? We should have bought that damn school when we had the chance and put an alumni club right in the middle of Myers Park.

That was one argument we faced during our student org days. I really didnā€™t know how to answer without sounding too arrogant.

Has anyone considered a Hornetā€™s Nest?

No, itā€™s not.

The original NC flag

[quote=ā€œemf, post:42, topic:27896ā€][quote=ā€œSteauA, post:41, topic:27896ā€]While weā€™re talking about the University seal, can someone tell me what itā€™s supposed to represent and where it came from?

This isnā€™t anything official, but Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s close. There might be something about it in Sanfordā€™s book, but itā€™s too late to get up and look.

pinecone: Bonnie Cone, of course[/quote]

I always saw that and wondered if thatā€™s what it was.

Figured as much.

The most obvious aspect of it, I never put that together. Thanks for clarifying.

Three things (just some random but sort of related thoughts):

• I wish we had a motto.
  • I wish our caps and gowns were hunter green (no excuses for this really, the price different has to be minimal, but why form traditions and pride in your colors you know? Thatā€™s dumb).
  • Why donā€™t we have a graduation speaker ever? Charlotte is a big place, Iā€™m sure we can find prominent members of society to talk to our graduating classes every year. I find the little speal by CHP about why we donā€™t have one during the graduation ceremony kind of pathetic in all honesty.

[quote=ā€œSteauA, post:55, topic:27896ā€][quote=ā€œemf, post:42, topic:27896ā€][quote=ā€œSteauA, post:41, topic:27896ā€]While weā€™re talking about the University seal, can someone tell me what itā€™s supposed to represent and where it came from?

pinecone: Bonnie Cone, of course[/quote]

I always saw that and wondered if thatā€™s what it was.

Figured as much.

The most obvious aspect of it, I never put that together. Thanks for clarifying.

Three things (just some random but sort of related thoughts):

• I wish we had a motto.
  • I wish our caps and gowns were hunter green (no excuses for this really, the price different has to be minimal, but why form traditions and pride in your colors you know? Thatā€™s dumb).
  • Why donā€™t we have a graduation speaker ever? Charlotte is a big place, Iā€™m sure we can find prominent members of society to talk to our graduating classes every year. I find the little speal by CHP about why we donā€™t have one during the graduation ceremony kind of pathetic in all honesty.[/quote]

I would have much rather listened to an esteemed member of society give a last piece of advice and inspiration to carry with me into the real world, than sit and listen to two thousand nine hundred ninety-nine other names only to enjoy less than a split second of hearing my own name called to an arena full of people, 99.7562% of which couldnā€™t possibly care less.

[size=3][font=calibri]Iā€™m 40 still enjoy reading commencement addresses given by certain folks each yearā€¦ They can still be valuable bits of insight no matter how old you areā€¦ My graduation was a larger version of my HS graduation, I remember NOTHING about the ceremony at all, thatā€™s a problem.[/font][/size]

The original NC flag

[/quote]

Have lived in this area all my life and never saw this flag until I visited Williamsburg, VA about 10 years ago and saw it in a display with other historical US flags. ???

In my humble opinion, nothing says ā€œState of Charlotteā€ like a Hornetā€™s Nest.

With that being said, as our esteemed trophy with the mildcats shows us, Hornetā€™s Nest are ugly.

Anyone seen the original NC ā€œHornetā€™s Nestā€ flag available anywhere? I just found one place online - a flag museum in Columbus, NC.