State of Charlotte Flag

Fly that Hornets flag at Charlotte NBA games.

YES!

Not sure where else to put this - but here is the old owl logo a few people asked about.

We have so much history waiting to be re-discovered and/or implemented. These things, whether theyā€™re beautiful or ugly, are all apart of what makes us Niners. The Hornetā€™s Nest flag and trophy are great examples. Boy are they ugly but boy are they important to me, and thatā€™s what makes them beautiful.

[quote=ā€œNinerWupAss, post:63, topic:27896ā€]

Not sure where else to put this - but here is the old owl logo a few people asked about.[/quote]

Copywrite infringement of the owl logo by Tootsie Pop.

The hornetā€™s nest flag and the old owl logo have inspired me.

Case closed, Iā€™m calling it a day. Iā€™m going to get some quotes next week.

How would you go about having these made?

Will Custom Ink make flags?

[quote=ā€œNiner National, post:67, topic:27896ā€]How would you go about having these made?

Will Custom Ink make flags?[/quote]

Nah, Iā€™m going to have to go though a company that specializes in flags.

Iā€™m pretty sure it wonā€™t be cheap, but unique has a price.

I kinda feel like the state of charlotte thing will confuse a lot of people and make them think the city was founded in 1946.

Donā€™t get me wrong, I love it, Iā€™m just not sure it will do anything but further confuse people who already seem to be confused by our existence anyway.

[quote=ā€œNiner National, post:69, topic:27896ā€]I kinda feel like the state of charlotte thing will confuse a lot of people and make them think the city was founded in 1946.

Donā€™t get me wrong, I love it, Iā€™m just not sure it will do anything but further confuse people who already seem to be confused by our existence anyway.[/quote]

You would bring up a good point like this after I expanded and merged the artwork.

Seriously, I have got to break that habit. :confused:

[quote=ā€œZombieLew, post:66, topic:27896ā€]The hornetā€™s nest flag and the old owl logo have inspired me.

[/quote]

Too bad you didnā€™t have the branch turn into a pick axe handle

[quote=ā€œZombieLew, post:66, topic:27896ā€]The hornetā€™s nest flag and the old owl logo have inspired me.

[/quote]

[quote=ā€œUniversal, post:71, topic:27896ā€][quote=ā€œZombieLew, post:66, topic:27896ā€]The hornetā€™s nest flag and the old owl logo have inspired me.

[/quote]

Too bad you didnā€™t have the branch turn into a pick axe handle[/quote]

Thought about it, but couldnā€™t find a way to work it in. There comes a time when enough is enoughā€¦ a pickaxe would have been forced, and that would have been obvious.

I would almost rather just have the design you have with 1946 in the circle and nothing else. Eliminates some of the confusion.

Or the design with Niner Nation (unless that is trademarked) with Founded: 1946 in the circle.

[quote=ā€œNiner National, post:74, topic:27896ā€]I would almost rather just have the design you have with 1946 in the circle and nothing else. Eliminates some of the confusion.

Or the design with Niner Nation (unless that is trademarked) with Founded: 1946 in the circle.[/quote]

I dropped the ā€œestā€ part, just says ā€œ1946ā€ at the bottom. Definitely looks better aesthetically.

I donā€™t want to lose the ā€œState of Charlotteā€ text. Thatā€™s what inspired this whole thing, and I think that it is perfect for our school and fanbase. Iā€™m doing what I can to make sure it catches on. Besides, Niner Nation is most definitely trademarked.

How does this site get away with using the name niner nation then?

Whatever, I like it enough as it is to buy one (assuming the price isnā€™t outrageous). I just feel like itā€™ll confused people since there is 0 direct reference to the school other than the founding date, which Iā€™d be willing to bet most students donā€™t even know.

EDIT: nvm looks good

This is meant to be constructiveā€¦itā€™s been your efforts, not mine, but as an interested party:

If I were to have seen this flag at a tailgate this fall without the context provided in this thread, I would have asked myself, what the f*** does that mean?

Itā€™s pulling several things from the city and schoolā€™s history together in one flag, but mostly things no one really knows anything about. It just seems there should be more of an effort to tie it to our schoolā€™s current branding. Just the words ā€œState of Charlotteā€, with the fonts matching our current fonts sells the concept immediately, in my mind at least.

I guess in the end, the seal is what does it in for me. I totally get the green and white X and creating a flag to fly this message. I also see the green and white X becoming the only symbol necessary in the future. But, creating a ā€œsealā€ is a stretch and not something the thousands of fans at tailgates who will not have read this thread will have any clue of, and letā€™s be real, most wonā€™t stop to ask, what the f*** does that mean?

[quote=ā€œHooner49, post:72, topic:27896ā€][quote=ā€œZombieLew, post:66, topic:27896ā€]The hornetā€™s nest flag and the old owl logo have inspired me.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nice work Lew!!

[quote=ā€œdmastinsc, post:78, topic:27896ā€]This is meant to be constructiveā€¦itā€™s been your efforts, not mine, but as an interested party:

If I were to have seen this flag at a tailgate this fall without the context provided in this thread, I would have asked myself, what the f*** does that mean?

Itā€™s pulling several things from the city and schoolā€™s history together in one flag, but mostly things no one really knows anything about. It just seems there should be more of an effort to tie it to our schoolā€™s current branding. Just the words ā€œState of Charlotteā€, with the fonts matching our current fonts sells the concept immediately, in my mind at least.

I guess in the end, the seal is what does it in for me. I totally get the green and white X and creating a flag to fly this message. I also see the green and white X becoming the only symbol necessary in the future. But, creating a ā€œsealā€ is a stretch and not something the thousands of fans at tailgates who will not have read this thread will have any clue of, and letā€™s be real, most wonā€™t stop to ask, what the f*** does that mean?[/quote]

Iā€™ll defer partially to NLP49 for this oneā€¦

People may not know about these parts of our history, but that doesnā€™t make them any less meaningful. What I was working on before the old NC flag and the old owl logo were posted was a logo that consisted of our Universityā€™s crown logo in front of two crossed pickaxes. The final result tied in often overlooked portions of the history that got us to where we are today, whereas my crown and pickaxe idea does nothing to honor our past. In reality, it was creating something for the sake of creating something. There was no meaning behind it, it just was.

A few other things:

1. This isnā€™t the only State of Charlotte reference youā€™ll see. Anybody who follows our coaching staff on twitter has seen it. Iā€™ve said before, I think that ā€œState of Charlotteā€ really captures the sentiments of a very large portion of our fan base. Weā€™re trying to stand on our own and push away the shadows that have been imposed on us. This gives us a rallying cry that comments on that.

2. Using the schoolā€™s (really the ADā€™s) typefaceā€¦ in this design, it just wouldnā€™t work. Our athletic department uses an oblique version of Gill Sans. Oblique text doesnā€™t work on a circle. It looks terrible. In the end, Iā€™m still a designer. Iā€™ll make some concessions here and some concessions there (like having to heavily simplify the owl) but putting italicized or oblique text on a circle? If Iā€™m putting my name behind something, thatā€™s one thing I wonā€™t do.

3. The seal itself - I donā€™t think you give our fans enough credit. Weā€™re the opposite of Chapel Hill fans - almost all of us are educated and capable of extrapolating information from an image. Most of us know, or at least have heard at some point or another, that our original mascot was an owl. Almost all of us know the importance of the hornetā€™s nest to this areaā€™s history. Iā€™d be willing to venture that at least a few complete strangers would look at that flag and say ā€œHey, didnā€™t NC once have a flag that was something like that?ā€ They may have never heard or read the words ā€œState of Charlotteā€ before, but Iā€™m pretty sure theyā€™ll be able to figure out where weā€™re going with it.

Thatā€™s really what it is, to be honest. It is a combination of the original NC flag with the current city of Charlotte flag, with a nod to our school and its history. If we drop that seal, all we have is a Niner Green version of the Scottish Flag.