Student Turnout

While we’re on the subject of student cheering… how about this one. Whoever starts the chants, and whoever chimes in next… please, please don’t clap at super sonic speeds the first time. And don’t speed up the defense chant like crazy either. The students end up clapping too fast for the cheerleaders to keep up.

And I really don’t understand why if a cheerleader starts a standard chant, someone in 104 will start a different chant.

Both the above scenarios happened quite a few times last game (And lets face it… most games) and students in the back of 104 and 105 quit chanting because it is confusing and sounds crappy when the cheerleaders/dusters are loudly chanting something different than half the students.

Not ranting at anybody, just suggestions…

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:4, topic:24485”]I honestly think part of the problem is the ticketing system… it is a hassle to get tickets, because you have to log in to request, then log in to claim, and a lot of students don’t realize that there are tickets available at the door.

I think the game being close to the exams hurt as well… but you’re right, student turnout was abysmal. Thanks for calling out the students that were there.[/quote]

meh, theres no perfect system. If its any consolation UT (among others) uses ticketreturn too… works just fine.

On the note of the original thread: This is very reminiscent of 2007, when I was able to convince all of my neighbors in Sycamore hall to go to the game with me. We got there half an hour (or less) before the game and we all sat 1st and 2nd row behind the bench. My point is that winning puts butts in seats. This is nothing we haven’t experienced before and it will go away again. Use this as a time to take your friends who won’t go to games now, show them a GREAT seat, and turn them into a hardcore Niner fan. It worked for me with those that I brought. They didn’t miss a game from then on.

I know I keep referencing UT and I’m sure it gets old sometimes, but I like to draw the comparison of my experience at a BCS school to the one we all love. Rest assured, Charlotte puts more students in the seats than a top 15 UT team, unless of course we’re playing Kentucky. My point is that its Winthrop and we haven’t played worth a crap - what makes you think they’re going to come out? We all agree that they should be there, and its going to require a LOT of extra effort by our hardcore students (been in those shoes before) - but don’t get down about it and don’t rail on everyone for it. The grass isn’t much greener on the other side, unless you’re duke.

[quote=“contemptor, post:41, topic:24485”]While we’re on the subject of student cheering… how about this one. Whoever starts the chants, and whoever chimes in next… please, please don’t clap at super sonic speeds the first time. And don’t speed up the defense chant like crazy either. The students end up clapping too fast for the cheerleaders to keep up.

And I really don’t understand why if a cheerleader starts a standard chant, someone in 104 will start a different chant.

Both the above scenarios happened quite a few times last game (And lets face it… most games) and students in the back of 104 and 105 quit chanting because it is confusing and sounds crappy when the cheerleaders/dusters are loudly chanting something different than half the students.

Not ranting at anybody, just suggestions…[/quote]

That is exactly what i saw

There is no excuse for red in section 104. I don’t care who it was. What happened to the do or die take no prisoners of our student section.

Dis
A
Pointing

[quote=“contemptor, post:41, topic:24485”]While we’re on the subject of student cheering… how about this one. Whoever starts the chants, and whoever chimes in next… please, please don’t clap at super sonic speeds the first time. And don’t speed up the defense chant like crazy either. The students end up clapping too fast for the cheerleaders to keep up.

I thought that was only us, but that always happens at schools who don’t have the male cheerleaders with the megaphones to keep people in pace. Was watching a game the other day and noticed the student section speeding up the defense chant.

while we are discussing student chants. sometimes the ON YOUR FEET chant can backfire. because it calls attention to us non-students too lazy to stand up. at least that’s how it comes across. in reality many of us are standing but your chant makes it seem like no one is standing. i’m not saying not to do it. just use it with caution.

that’s uncalled for. last year the a10 was the 6th (almost 5th) best conference out of 29 division 1 conferences. BUT the acc was 3rd best and received constant attention by the local media. it was never mentioned in the local media about the a10 being almost as good. instead some members of the local media were too busy throwing cheap shots at us.

the next time you heart someone call us d2. PLEASE EXPLAIN TO THEM THE FACTS.

[quote=“Ninerballin, post:44, topic:24485”][quote=“contemptor, post:41, topic:24485”]While we’re on the subject of student cheering… how about this one. Whoever starts the chants, and whoever chimes in next… please, please don’t clap at super sonic speeds the first time. And don’t speed up the defense chant like crazy either. The students end up clapping too fast for the cheerleaders to keep up.

I thought that was only us, but that always happens at schools who don’t have the male cheerleaders with the megaphones to keep people in pace. Was watching a game the other day and noticed the student section speeding up the defense chant.[/quote]
I’m sure it happens elsewhere. I know we used to have the megaphones here 2 (or 3?) years ago. But considering the first few rows of 104 start most chants, most of the problems would be fixed if the clapping didn’t start so fast. Heck, the first few rows of 104 are half as loud as the entire student section anyway.

in a thread that was meant to be a challenge to our students to get more students to Halton there is public acceptance of an opposing fan sitting center court in the first 4 rows of 104.

never mind, you guys aren’t up to it.

Maybe next year.

Back to ninerID’s original post. Good (or bad) turnout is nothing new for Charlotte. There was a core of season ticket holders who are now old or gone. The young grads then are now in their mid-late 60s and basketball is not longer important. And today, the number of season ticket holders in not so so much larger than it was even then. But many of them are now held by companies and the tickets sit in someone’s desk drawer instead of being used. Unfortunately it’s the almighty dollar that drives the AD, not cultivating a fan experience. With 7500+ students in the Final Four season and the immediate seasons past, there were rarely more than 2000 tickets (usually 1500-1700) given to the students on games in the (name of the day) domed arena on Independence. A lot of effort was placed on student groups (using that term loosely) to come as well. Percentage wise that was a great number, and yes it was an effort to drive/get a ride for many of them. To me personally, I see no excuse for 3500 students now to not attend a game in Halton, regardless of opponent or record. I think it’s part of the college experience and students need to be a part of as much as possible.

I am sure there are some legitimate reasons for not attending. It used to be that I would schedule around 49er basketball. Times change and I’m growing tired of the drives. The fun for me is leaving. It’s just not so important now. I can see three Division I teams within a 30-minute drive, I can see all the games I want now on TV.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:35, topic:24485”]As far as us ‘ignoring’ the Winthrop fans chanting… it was because there were, let’s count it: one, two, three of them.

We figured the best response was not to dignify their attempt at “taking over Halton” with a response.[/quote]And since we are cheering on our team, how do you think the players liked it? Winthrop’s team seemed to enjoy it regardless of the number because they could hear them.

I don’t think you get the objective.

They.

Weren’t.

Worth it.[/quote]I get it, just don’t agree, like most others on here. If Charlotte fans go into another arena and try to get loud, I’m willing to be the students from that school will try and drown us out, that’s what it’s about.[/quote]Last year the kid without shoes was the only one to respond to us in Rock Hill. At Clemson a few years ago, we owned their crowd pretty good. But I still say we need a response.

[quote=“ninerID, post:48, topic:24485”]in a thread that was meant to be a challenge to our students to get more students to Halton there is public acceptance of an opposing fan sitting center court in the first 4 rows of 104.

never mind, you guys aren’t up to it.

Maybe next year.[/quote]

If anything it, it will only get worse. NNN has less student posters than it did the past decade or so.

Well, it does feel like old times, students vs alumni on the board.

I think ZombieLew is the only student that has posted?

Going way back to the days of dinosaurs, HP, Over, Run, Hootie, and the other old farts on here, let’s look at some of the numbers mentioned by HP and do some comparisons.

1. We packed the Mine Shaft in the mid 70s with only 2,000 students living on campus, even before ever making a post-season appearance.

2. With between 6,000 and 7,000 students and very few alums, we SOLD OUT the 11,777 seat Charlotte Coliseum against Centenary before ever making a post-season appearance. By today’s standards, that would equate to selling out a 46,000 seat arena with almost no alums. It also puts a damper on the “We have not been to a Sweet 16 lately so we should have no fans” argument some of you make.

3. We are now in a strong multi-bid conference and locals and even some of our students think we are Division 2.

4. Back then, I assure you the players felt loved by the students, the city, and the local media (media love equates to love by city). That is no longer true today, even with us being 4 times larger and having close to 20 times the number of local alums.

5. Even during our years of whipping up on Cinci and others, we still never received the amount of public support we did during the “early years”.

I think ZombieLew is the only student that has posted?[/quote]

I think tommy and Hooner are both still students/rooks.

We’ve got to advertise. Just yesterday I opened up one of those “ValuePaks” that I usually just toss in the trash. Inside were discounts on Richmond, VCU, and UVA basketball tickets. The UVA one caught my eye since one of the featured games was Iowa State. Also, tickets for the Charlotte/Richmond game are only $5. In addition to the ValuePak, I see advertisements in the local paper adverstising games. It seems more so for VCU but I don’t get the paper regularly so that may not be the case. Oh yeah, the big game in town this weekend is Richmond/VCU. I’ve heard it advertised on the radio every day this week.

Ditto, live 25 mins North of Richmond, and I got one of these in the mail. UR vs. Wake is like $5 too, so don’t feel too bad guys.

I love how this is becoming a student bitch fest. It works both ways. I understand our tickets are free (and by free I mean $3,000/semester) but there sure were a hell of a lot of empty seats on the opposite side.

Bottom line: winning fills seats.

I don’t see it as a bitchfest at students at all. We need more people to show up, period. I just don’t want to hear an opposing teams fan be louder than us, tis all.