The 90's Music Thread šŸŽø

A reminder that we are not married to a loser

Just lit to pop!

Had originally posted this when it first came out, but with the Drop D mentions, here it is again:

Per Matt Norlanderā€™s mention, some Dispatch:

1 Like

As a general aside, Rick Beato has such great content. His various channels are all great.

2 Likes

Agreed. Really enjoy his stuff. Love the way he breaks down a song and he really loves the music.

1 Like

I have really enjoyed his take on current pop music. When he listens to the current top 10 itā€™s pretty cool.

1 Like

Iā€™m a big fan of Rick Beato too! Used to be a regular listener of PRX program Sound Opinions, but found hosts Greg Kot and Jim DeRogatis to be snobbish at times as relates to musical artists, including some who have been profiled by Beato.

1 Like

Wasnā€™t familiar with the story about the respective managers of Pink Floyd and Paul McCartney having a heated discussion backstage during the latterā€™s performance at Knebworth in 1990. Apparently precipitated by an earlier argument over which band would play last at the star studded event:

Pink Floyd is disliked (strangely so IMO) by manyā€¦ Even if you don;t like the band, its impossible to argue David Gilmour isnā€™t one of the most talented dudes to ever pick up a guitar.

Damn shame the band and Waters could never get along.

1 Like

From Beato - talks about albums released in 1991.

An absolutely amazing year for musicā€¦ Back in the days of the old school long box CD packages- I had them allā€¦

Iā€™m rarely a guy on to new music like NA is, Iā€™m usually in once someone breaksā€¦ But I was in on Pearl Jam before the masses. A dude I worked with at the car wash was big into Green RIver, he got some tapes that had Pearl Jam before they were big name Pearl Jam on it (Theyā€™d probably not changed the name from Mookie Blaylock by then). I really liked them right off the bat. Same guy also had some Mother Love Bone stuff that I really liked, probably right about the time Mark Wood ODā€™dā€¦ This guy had an amazing network of traders, heā€™d get cassettes with demo quality takes or some live shows all the time, 90% of it was shit, but every now and again heā€™d get some early gold. Iā€™d love to know if he still as all of them- probably worth a fortune if he did not tape over it to trade his stuff.

I attended the Lollapalooza '92 show in Charlotte at then called Blockbuster Pavilion - Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ice Cube, Lush, Jesus and Mary Chain, and Ministry. I spent most of the latterā€™s set watching the crowd on the lawn. Ministry had the audience in a frenzy that I have always described as borderline riot, with Eddie Vedder reportedly joining a dance a la Jim Morrison around one of the bonfires that sprang up during the hour Al Jourgensen & Co. occupied the stage.

1 Like

I remember having the early Pearl Jam in tape in my first car, still in Highschool. I think it was only four or five songs on it. Alive, maybe Why go home, maybe another not on their first full album

Rick was spot on again. In retrospect, I now kind of cringe about the super-compressed sound of that Metallica record now, but it was pretty powerful in 1991. I much prefer the sound and content of Master of Puppets. Much of that content was Cliff.

That 1991-1992 period was insanely good. No auto-tune protools crap with the perfect bpmā€™s to catch your attention while making you not really pay attention. Guys and girls that could play their instruments in an arena or a basement, and still kick ass.

Rick looked at little shaky, but he tightened up whenever some great beat started playing

I was there. Had the stickers on my car for years. Got fired from my job at a restaurant across town because I tried to call in sick on a shift so I could go. I didnā€™t even have a ticket. I was too broke to afford one.

So I showed up and begged into the show to work selling beer with my frat. Problem was, I was, and still am a massive Lush fan. Probably their biggest fan at that entire show (fight me!). My frat bros made fun of me for liking a chick fronted bandā€¦ Only they took the stage and they rocked way harder than even I expected. So I ditched the beer stand (my frat big bro screaming he was gonna kick my ass) and ran to the lawn where I found a small group of friends and we watched the rest of the set. I only saw half of Lushā€™s set, but it was fantastic.

Then Pearl Jam came on and it felt like the entire crowd surged forward and the energy level somehow doubled. I can still remember them doing Evenflow. The rest was a blur, though I vaguely remember losing my shit when Jesus & Mary Chain played ā€œHead Onā€:

I got proper shitfaced for the rest of the show, and I think someone may have slipped me some Xā€¦ but I definitely remember Ministry taking the stage. Al Jorgensen came out with a mic stand that had a cow spine and a skull on it, with the horns. Also, the tradition for the other bands was for random members to goth/metal up, and take the stage with them. I think I remember Miki from lush in all black rocking a Flying V ā€¦

And Flea was definitely out there, in his underwear and nothing else, rocking his balls (and ours off) on his bassā€¦ Total madman.

A fire pit formed in the lawn near us (which later got these types of shows banned), and the mosh pit turned into more of a circle, spinning as I jumped in and started doing laps around the fire. Run isnā€™t lying - it was a borderline riot. But if Eddie was in there with us, I missed it. One chick near me ripped off her shirt and joined in, topless, for the rest of the set. Still remember them doing Jesus Built My Hot Rod, Thieves, NWO, and the one that made the ground tremble: So What:

At some point Jorgensen stopped the show and bellowed into his mic ā€œthat bonfire FUCKING RUUUULES!ā€ which just sent us into an even crazier frenzy.

By the time the Chili Peppers came on to close out the show, rocking the hell out of all their hits from the super popular Blood Sugar Sex Magic, it was actually a cool down set after how freaking insane Ministry was.

So yeahā€¦ You could say I had a pretty good time. One for the ages. Oh, and losing my job? WORTH IT.

Hereā€™s another fun video of what it was likeā€¦

The soundgarden clip with Eddie Veder singing backup on Hunger Strike is such a blast from the past.

Lush is playing at about 6:15 in that clip.

But I have to say:

I have never seen or been part of another show as intense as that Ministry set was. They totally stole the show.

Fun story - unmoved into colville II the summer of of 92. Ryland homes promised new condo would be ready at start of school. It wasnā€™t. So they paid for us to stay in the Hilton at university for like a month. Thatā€™s where the lollapapooza acts stayed. We hung out in the lobby alll day and night and met alll the acts. It was pretty cool.

2 Likes