The 90's Music Thread šŸŽø

THat was a great show- I saw it in Waterloo Villageā€¦ basically a giant fieldā€¦ I remember it was really hot and they had a Fire Truck with a water turret on top and theyā€™d just hose the crowd down every now and againā€¦

93 I liked a smidge better because I was all about Alice in Chainsā€¦ And the show opened with Tool and Rage back to backā€¦ I was also big into DInosaur Jr.

As you should be. J. Mascis is awesome.

I was at this show too. Unfortunately, they moved it to Metrolina Fairgrounds because of the fire at the 92 show. It was a solid show (I remember it being really hot and dusty, and they were charging big $ for water, which sucked), but not as memorable for me. Iā€™ve told you my story from it thoughā€¦ Sitting way left of stage with friends getting some rest, I think during either fishbone or Dinosaur Jrā€™s set, and this guy walks right in front of us with his dog. I was wondering who was able to bring their dog in, when a friend realized it was Lane Staley from AiC. We talked to him, but it was pretty brief - he did ask us how we liked the show. I think they went on last / after dark.

The only other thing I remember from that show was being involved with something called The Alternative Radio Coalition. They had designs on buying open frequency rights from FCC and then simply mirror broadcasting another station from pretty far away, simply to get bands like we were there to see on Charlotte airwaves. 106.5 changed format a year or two later and solved that problem . Maybe my angle on another free admission? Not sure. FWIW that would have ended my streak of bullshitting my way in to these shows for free. I bought my ticket every year after that one.

Well I decided to do some digging on the googles and found this:

In 1992, the Alternative Radio Coalition began. A major goal of the 1600-member group was to raise $15,000 for a translator that would reach Charlotte listeners.[8] Meanwhile, WNCW added a translator at 97.3 MHz in Greenville, SC in 1993 and had plans for one in Boone, North Carolina by 1995.[9] The Charlotte translator finally signed on at 100.7 MHz across the street from Cotswold Mall in May 1994.[10]

This is a shot of Staley and Jerry Cantrell of AiC on stage at that show, taken by someone named Thomas Baldwin.

When I met Staley, he was in one of those ratty sleeveless T shirts open on the sides, camo cargo shorts, those shades , and a hat. He was easy to miss - looked like half the people there. RIP Lane.

This was an awesome list! I just dropped too much money in ITunes because of it

Cool read about his vintage guitar. Guitarists know a magical instrument and amp when they play them. They are almost unique like finger prints when drill down beyond the look and geometry. The properties of the wood, wiring, hardware, magnets and setup can create a magical difference. PRS was one of the first successful manufacturers to try to mass produce these subtleties, in my mind.

Page and his Dragon tele and his Les Paul
Willie Nelson and his banger
EVH Frankie and that original Marshall
Angus and Malcolm?

I A Story About the Rare Genius of Eddie Van Halen | Van Halen News Desk

These are fantastic. :sunglasses::metal::guitar:

Those are hilarious

1 Like

Another one. Not as funny, but makes me want to go to a 90s rock show with this dude.

Lol he did Alice in Chains tooā€¦

I think this qualifiesā€¦

Proof Soundgarden was more than grunge:

1 Like
2 Likes

I liked a lot of Lanagenā€™s solo stuff too. Saw this the other day. Total bummer.

Eddie Veder paid tribute recently:

We also lost Dallas Good from the Sadies recently. He was only 48 IIRC.

This was the last big thing I saw Dallas do (heā€™s the guy in the jacket on the left of Kurt Vile), and my lord do I love this live version of this song. Itā€™s better than the album version that Kurt did. It gets played constantly in my house:

My favorite part of that video is that Dallas liked the song but had never played it before and didnā€™t know how. He just figured it out as they went. Legend.

Just a total downer for indie music fans. Two big talents.

Nice tribute by Vedder. Also heard a tribute on latest episode of ā€œSound Opinionsā€ and they too spoke of Laneganā€™s varied career, memoirs, etc.

https://www.soundopinions.org/show/849

1 Like

RIP Taylor :drum:

1 Like