The EV news thread 🔌

Since most EVs that have a ton of power restrict having access to full torque via programming I can’t imagine tire wear would be much different unless you leave it in sport mode or whatever setting and just drive around all the time with access to full power. Can’t imagine people would do that too much though as it kills the range.

Do EV’s have preferred tires in manufacture specs? Lighter ones? Special compounds? I have never looked into it.

Range in sport mode doesn’t go down as much as you might think.

It drops my range by like 10-15 miles. Now if you’re just flooring it every time you are taking off from a stop then yeah your range is going to be trash, but the same is true for gas mileage in a normal car. Sport mode on mine makes it slightly faster acceleration, but the bigger difference is it tightens up the steering and changes the handling.

There are tires specifically for EVs that have decreased rolling resistance. Tesla uses them but my car did not come with them.

Yeah I mean stomping it to get the power. It is the same as the ICE cars and like ICE cars only idiots would do that all the time as it kills MPG and wears out tires and bearings and other parts that should have a long life. Basically to NA’s point tires shouldnt wear faster on EVs and due to constant computer control and settings might actually last longer that on a ICE.

Teslas were burning up their tires a couple years back. Lots of complaints. I never bothered to see if they fixed it. But also some of these newer EVs have more pedestrian torque numbers.

(Model S plaid makes 1,050 lb ft, but even a P100 model S made around 500 lb ft IIRC, all instant on, which was rough on cold rubber that was designed for efficiency, not drag racing).

Weren’t most of those tesla issues though with people stomping on it? I mean it’s no different that having a corvette or any other car with access to power and then constantly using it.

Combo of huge torque #s and the incessant urge to launch from every stop simply for the rush. Yes.

That instant on factor not to be discounted either. ICE cars tend to build to their max torque levels, though again IIRC, a few ICE cars hit near max torque around as little as 2,000 rpm.

I just figure the people that do that are 1 - the same people that would do it with an ICE and 2 - the people that could drop money on the earlier teslas are the same ones that could buy ferarris and porshces that put down that torque very quickly. So yeah the Tesla was a bit different but it wasn’t night and day, they knew what they were doing. The EVs people are driving evey day aren’t going to have the eye popping numbers, are likely going to have to change a setting to get to the power and most days the car is going to be doing part of the driving for you. Kinda like how automatics extended tire life from straight drives.

1 Like

I suppose vehicle weight could also make the tires wear faster? My car is basically the size of a small SUV, but it weighs over 5300 pounds. That’s about 2000 pounds heavier than most compact SUVs.

Yeah thats a good point. Weight def matters.

How does auto inspections work in NC with EVs?

More curiously how are we gonna get EVs to pay their costs for road maintenance? Heavier cars are harder on the roads, they should be charged a higher tax for that alone plus of course they aren’t paying gas tax at all.

Passenger cars don’t materially damage roads. Commercial trucks etc do. If we only had passenger cars, the roads would last so much longer.

This is one where you have two different groups of passengers pointing at each other to cover the portion of costs they’ve been carrying for commercial usage.

Historically yes passenger cars were not the primary driver of road wear but if we start tacking on 1k-2500k pounds on each vehicle that might change and as I mentioned we need to figure out how EVs pay their share of road maintenance since they aren’t paying gas tax. If it’s per mile it shouldn’t be the same universally and how in the world will we charge that?

If we are taxing EVs extra for weight then full size suvs and trucks deserve the same.

As for paying fair share for use, I have no issues with a per mile tax of some sort in theory, though it would suck to have to pay that in a lump sum while traditional car owners just pay it as they go when they fill up.

Well many full size and commercial trucks do pay more and theoretically they get worse gas mileage and therefore pay more. Definitely would need some studies to decide rate.

I’m just not sure how you charge this. Most folks can’t afford the lump sum payment. A monthly check in seems ridiculous and I have issues with my Car ever communicating details of my travel to the govt.

Why do EV weigh more? Just the battery?

clt say evs weigh more bc you have to wrap the power cord around the back of the car

2 Likes

Yes, batteries are heavy. EVs that get 200+ miles per charge carry enough battery capacity to power an average home for 2-3 days.

Many thousands of cell phones worth of power.

Sounds like being in a non-EV with all of the heavy EV on the road would be risky in the event of an accident.