The EV news thread šŸ”Œ

1 Like

Haha the irony here. Forcing new car sales to EVs but not having a power grid that can support it.

VW gonna overtake them too.

If Ford could build more Lightnings I think they would too.

Chinese manufacturers have huge advantage in access to rare earth elements used in current LiOn batteries.

clt says dont sleep on RIVN

Sexy Jenna Fischer GIF

Is there a car in that post? Cause my eyes are elsewhere. :eyes:

2 Likes

At one point the Rivian rep makes the point that these cars do everything. You donā€™t need a separate sports car - you can accelerate to 60 in about 3 seconds, and the drive modes include an ā€œoffroad driftā€ mode that does just what it suggests, which they show in the video. That type of flexibility along with their great utility makes them very desirable.

I just wish they cost less.

1 Like

clt says the r1s is a value!

the office jim GIF

Good lord - what a terrible statement. Grrrrrrrrr Shows the disconnect I think a lot of EV people have with the car enthusiast crowd.

Not directed at you NA, but that isnā€™t what a sports car is about. Not in the least.

Sports cars arenā€™t about speed? Driving hard? Drifting?

Unless you are using the loose interpretation and sticking solely with styling, but then again I think pretty soon you will be able to have some highly styled EVs too.

I get that there will always be a place for the passionate petrolhead tinkering under the hood in his garage on a Saturday afternoon and then taking his classic ride for a spin.

But in terms of flexibility and utility, these things have a lot to offer. Thatā€™s the only point.

Take a miata - not the most power or fastest car but are an enthusiasts dreams because you DRIVE the car. The idea oh you hit this button and you can drift, you donā€™y do any shifting, the car isnt making any noise, you are likely driving by wire - ugh

Itā€™s like the EV is checking off all the boxes, without understanding the point of the boxes. Having flexibility and utility are literally the antithesis of having a sports car. Everything about that makes my skin crawl.

Watch the video of when they are drifting on the dirt track. Itā€™s about 2/3rds of the way through. See what you think. It looks fun to me. Guy is muscling the car with counter steer the same way as most drifting Iā€™ve seen done.

THIS. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m hoping Mini can turn something out that still has the soul of a Mini. I hope the Miata when itā€™s electric can hold some of that too.

I havenā€™t found and EV yet that Iā€™ve driven or been around that has what I call a soul. They all feel and have driven very utilitarian and generic. To use a term from battle star galactica, is a toaster.

clt says Camry is toaster

My car isnā€™t drive by wire. Has an actual steering column.

Steering changes depending on the mode you have it in. Sport mode is super stiff and fun to drive on rural roads.

1 Like