The EV news thread šŸ”Œ

Season 4 Episode 10 GIF by The Office

Gassman thinks CLT is getting his threads mixed up.

I am pretty sure ioniq is nearly all drive by wire. I think I recall reading that is how they were able to create such a spacious cabin by eliminating nearly all of the traditional mechanical connections. It might have a column but pretty sure the column goes to a sending unit that runs the assembly. At the minimum the sending unit is controlling the feel of the wheel. Also would explain why shifting a steering mode on a button changes how it drives beyond just a suspension or traction setting.

As discussed previously, this story is interesting on several fronts:

1. Newer, Vietnamese manufacturer trying to break into American market
  2. Opening plant in Chatham County NC in 2024
  3. Now saying they will have solid state batteries in the cars they make there

They really donā€™t want you to have a choice in the matterā€¦ā€¦

Iā€™ll believe it when they roll off the line. Canoo is unlikely to make it.

Hell, even Rivian is looking pretty likely to go under right now.

1 Like

I was surprised by the Canoo order too, but that certainly helps them if Walmart fronts cash for the order.

I think Rivian is gonna be fine. Tesla had more turmoil at the start than they are having. Itā€™s expected.

1 Like

I thought Canoo had already gone bankrupt. Iā€™m glad to see they are still hanging on. I like their quirky highly configurable van thingy.

People like to compare Rivian to Tesla, but an honest and objective look at the financials shows the two cases are nowhere near similar. If you compare them apples to apples, and look at where they stood/stand financially in each year since beginning initial production, Rivianā€™s cash burn rate is like a hemorrhaging jugular, and only getting worse. Teslaā€™s burn rate was never close to that bad. I mean maybe Amazon just keeps throwing cash and fantasy orders at them for years down the road, but I just donā€™t see how itā€™s sustainable. I do love Rivian and very much hope to be wrong.

clt likes RIVN

I look forward to the day that EV styling isnā€™t so dependent on efficiency. Itā€™s really hard to make anything that looks good / interesting when you are so obsessed with drag.

Maybe solid state batteries will get us there.

1 Like

I see a day when it is All gonna be a homogenized base platform with various software and skins - but itā€™s all basically the same vehicle. Will be great for the manufacturers and tech heads. Your more free flowing designs will come but they will mostly be just for looks and not driven by a performance need. When you can make a brick do 0-60 in 3 secs and press a button to change suspension height and steering feel and batteries that give you 400 mile range and quick charges it takes away the mechanical need to make different vehicles.

On another note apparently ford is gonna do a hybrid bronco in the near future. That is absolutely something Iā€™d get for the wife.

Iā€™m not as negative about that as you are, because the flip side is that it opens up for stylistic creativity, which is a good part of the heart and soul of car love / collecting. You want something that looks like a classic Jaguar convertible? You got it. Monster truck? Got ya covered. And everything in between, including some custom carriagework. People will continue to express themselves with creative style, much as they like to do now.

Oh absolutely and some of the nature of the EV will be very freeing because all you have to do is run wires. You donā€™t have to have a radiator or such. Itā€™s just the design will all be based on just desire vs actual functionality of design based on need.

Has anyone on this thread seen the show Vintage Voltage? Pretty good show about a company in Wales that takes classic cars and converts them to electric. They use different motor sources. Lots of wrenching, fabrication and electrical system mods. Pretty cool.