The EV news thread 🔌

Read that one without the paywall here:

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theatlantic.com%2Fideas%2Farchive%2F2023%2F01%2Felectric-vehicles-suv-battery-climate-safety%2F672576%2F

clt says that beaver is intriguing

1 Like

I love riding my motorcycles but this really make’s me nervous. One of the advantages I have with a bike is I can accelerate away from danger if I need to, that advantage is gone. Also the ability of EVs to pull out into me very quick and not give me any reaction time is very unsettling. And as someone in small cars and motorcycles the overall weight and stopping ability of the EVs is absolutely concerning.

1 Like

If you were to die on your bike, it will be an EV at fault. So sayeth the soothsayer

You realize that traditional gas car drivers often say the same thing about motorcycles. :joy:

Yup except in that case the reckless motorcycle rider likely kills or injures themselves not the car driver. I know I lose in most instances on the road, which is why i ride far more conservatively than I drive. Soccer moms and poor drivers on their cell phones are already an issue, but put them behind the wheel of something with ferarri speed and dump truck weight is a bad recipe for many on the road but especially the most vulnerable which would be motorcycles and small cars.

1 Like

george lopez parking GIF by Lopez on TV Land

The weight and speed are definitley a concern with EVs, best case senerio is that most people operating those vehicles have a computer making descisions for them.

1 Like

This is almost identical to an old Westinghouse concept my uncle was working on in the 1970’s. It was quashed because the upper upper management thought it could be seen as a threat to the Big3 automakers, who were good customers

That’s a cool concept, diesel locomotives function in a similar fashion. You keep the range benefit of gas while not always needing to refill on gas if the you’re just making regular trips.

Anyone here doing this?

I totally get that. The new EV Blazer is supposed to be able to go 0-60 in sub 4 seconds. If you look at the current Blazer clientele that speed seems completely unneccesary.

I would guess that EV accidents will be more of an issue as more people adopt them that aren’t as concerned about maximizing battery range / minimizing energy usage (for various reasons including cost and pollution): slow starts, avoiding high speeds in general, and slow braking. As battery range gets longer and more people adopt EVs that don’t care as much about minimizing energy usage, you’ll see more using that acceleration to drive aggressively. Hybrids have a similar issue though, they are heavier and often use the battery supplement to accelerate faster, though maybe not like full EV’s? Wonder what the accident stats say about them.

1 Like