The EV news thread 🔌

https://twitter.com/RoadandTrack/status/1669040002364219394

https://twitter.com/CoachSplintaQ/status/1669054741299470347

2 Likes

Tesla and the Niners! The two things I fanboy out the most over, together in one place! :smile:

Rivian is now on board with NACS, joining Ford and GM.

clt says RIVN is up 5% today

I’ll believe it when I see it, but am hopeful there is truth to this.

It’s Toyota. Reluctance is not the same as inability. If they decide they’re gonna do it, they will. They seem to be serious now.

Lol ok.

Toyota has fought and resisted and made excuses and dug their heels in fighting the transition to electrification for years. Worse than anyone by far. These PR releases are a joke. I hope they make me eat my words on this, I really do. I’d happy gobble down some crow, but ssb’s from Toyota ain’t happening.

I get it, I do. But what you’ve seen so far is reluctance, not capability. For example:

And to be fair, that 2030 plan is still doable and underway.

The issue has been leadership’s willingness to push forward, which I think we agree on. Where we disagree I think, is on the current leadership’s attitude. They’ve made changes up top and I think those holding the progress back have had their ranks thinned out. Also, a lot of the reluctance towards BEVs was due to the infancy of the battery tech. I don’t think Toyota has ever actually been battery advances adverse, just BEV adverse because the batteries weren’t ready. And if you follow Toyota, that type of stance is absolutely par for the course for them. They like simple and effective in all engineering. They don’t like overly complicated and unproven. So yeah, that takes us back to reluctance.

Maybe high energy density SSBs providing capacity for ultra long range vehicles (enough to make ICE engines blush) will be that tipping point for Toyota. Or maybe not, and you’re right. We will see.

But I don’t think it’s a tech issue holding them back. They have a huge lead there, even if they have yet to implement it.

1 Like

Fair points. Like I said, I’d love to be wrong!

1 Like

An ioniq6 just pulled in next to me at the charger. First time I’ve seen one in the wild. It looks much better in person. Still a very odd shape though.

1 Like

Breaking my self imposed exile here.

Such a sad sad thing. Lambo motors sounded like pure sex and the torque feel when it cranked up was visceral. I know they are gonna do hybrid stuff but it won’t be the same.

3 Likes

Breaking my self imposed exile here.

Such a sad sad thing. Lambo motors sounded like pure sex and the torque feel when it cranked up was visceral. I know they are gonna do hybrid stuff but it won’t be the same.

No doubt their EV stuff will be cool, but with a Tesla 4 seater basically pushing the edge of what is physically possible not sure what the point of a EV lambo is.