Tramaine Pride

Walk ons are mostly used to help out the teams GPA. Sure they can play a little organized basketball but they won’t be guys that can really take over unless they are a hidden gem.

Walk ons are mostly used to help out the teams GPA. Sure they can play a little organized basketball but they won't be guys that can really take over unless they are a hidden gem.

Walk-ons need to work hard all the time and they need to be well schooled, they are practice players.

Like Church and the other walk-ons over the years, there will always be more talented or even better basketball players in the intramurals, but those more talented players may not know how to play “the right way” or have ego’s that can’t deal with sitting on the bench every night.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;375908]42 ain’t old. Haven’t you seen all the commercials on TV?

Me too.[/QUOTE]

i’m actually older than Hootie

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;375931]Walk-ons need to work hard all the time and they need to be well schooled, they are practice players.

Like Church and the other walk-ons over the years, there will always be more talented or even better basketball players in the intramurals, but those more talented players may not know how to play “the right way” or have ego’s that can’t deal with sitting on the bench every night.[/QUOTE]

I think the latter is what keeps some guys who could play from giving the effort. Maybe not so much ego, but the realization that no matter hard you work, the coaches are going to lean toward the guys that they recruited and in which they have a financial investment.

Even if you are the 12th man, you have to put in the same time and it’s a helluva commitment to not get any PT. You can play intramurals and keep up with your classes and maybe even work a PT job and have a little money. To a lot, that’s more appealing that riding the pine just to have a uniform.

Also, some guys who don’t try probably made the mistake of not going to a Catawba, L-R or somewhere they could have gotten a chance. Charlotte, regardless of the past few yrs, is bigtime bball- maybe not Duke or UNC-Ch, but it’s still up there.

The biggest thing I see at a school like Charlotte is that the coaching staff tends to like athletes more than basketball players, which I really don’t get, but it seems to be the trend. I have personally played against many better players that what we have now. The big difference is the guys on the team can run and jump- with the notable exception from time to time. You can’t teach someone to be tall, run fast or jump high.

When I was at CHarlotte, our guards were guys like Keith Williams, Byron Dinkins and Henry Williams. Not many walk-ons gonna beat those guys out. Chances would be alot better now, IMO.

He scored a point today.

Theres a picture of him in the Tulsa photos thread in the other forum. I’m pretty sure I’ve played pickup basketball with this guy in the SAC before.

some of you greatly under estimate intramural talent. even Phil Jones didnt fare well in intramurals and that’s nothing against him (most of it was avoiding injury), but there are a lot of talented players at this school. just not many who want to put in the work to play d1 basketball. you’ll see plenty of d1 talent though. church wouldnt do too well against a LOT of the guys i’ve seen out there. however, he’s a much better d1 player because he puts in the work and it sure as hell takes a lot of it.

some of you greatly under estimate intramural talent. even Phil Jones didnt fare well in intramurals and that's nothing against him (most of it was avoiding injury), but there are a lot of talented players at this school. just not many who want to put in the work to play d1 basketball. you'll see plenty of d1 talent though. church wouldnt do too well against a LOT of the guys i've seen out there. however, he's a much better d1 player because he puts in the work and it sure as hell takes a lot of it.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
some of you greatly under estimate intramural talent. even Phil Jones didnt fare well in intramurals and that's nothing against him (most of it was avoiding injury), but there are a lot of talented players at this school. just not many who want to put in the work to play d1 basketball. you'll see plenty of d1 talent though. church wouldnt do too well against a LOT of the guys i've seen out there. however, he's a much better d1 player because he puts in the work and it sure as hell takes a lot of it.

dude d1 talent no…
-great talent and lack of work ethic I will concede because I have played over there a bunch of times and gotten my a$$ handed to me. But these guys can’t hang with the players on our team or any team for that matter (like somebody else said) when the actual school team is in their playing around…they not going 100%. They are avoiding injuries like the plague.

dude d1 talent no.. -great talent and lack of work ethic I will concede because I have played over there a bunch of times and gotten my a$$ handed to me. But these guys can't hang with the players on our team or any team for that matter (like somebody else said) when the actual school team is in their playing around...they not going 100%. They are avoiding injuries like the plague.

Individual athleticism, yes. Knowing how to play within a system, and the drive to give up every free minute of your life to be on the practice squad? No.

Everyone on the Practice Squad or walk-on should get a ton of props. How many of us know all of them? But I bet they spend every awake minute between school and practice. Plus trying to make a little extra money with a job.

Powers that be, can there be a recognition ceremony during a Halftime for these guys?

Unfortunately, this year we may learn all of their names if we get more injuries. :unhappy:

Kyle Church is one of the better walk-ons we’ve had here. He has some basketball ability. He wouldn’t be on the team if he didn’t. Guys like Bus Howard and Gordon were on the team because of grades and their size. They were big guys who could take the physical play. Church has to run the scout team and that requires using different offenses then the stuff we run. He’s not out their because of just his grades. He played in High School and was decent. I wouldn’t be opposed to him getting some garbage time and giving Harris a brief spell. Just slow down the offense use the full 35 and get off a decent shot. He’ll hustle his butt off on defense which is better than some of our guys.

Kyle Church is one of the better walk-ons we've had here. He has some basketball ability. He wouldn't be on the team if he didn't. Guys like Bus Howard and Gordon were on the team because of grades and their size. They were big guys who could take the physical play. Church has to run the scout team and that requires using different offenses then the stuff we run. He's not out their because of just his grades. He played in High School and was decent. [B]I wouldn't be opposed to him getting some garbage time and giving Harris a brief spell.[/B] Just slow down the offense use the full 35 and get off a decent shot. He'll hustle his butt off on defense which is better than some of our guys.

Thats good, since he’s already done this the last 3 games and in fact it was NOT even in garbage time!:ohmy:

Kyle Church is one of the better walk-ons we've had here. He has some basketball ability. He wouldn't be on the team if he didn't. Guys like Bus Howard and Gordon were on the team because of grades and their size. They were big guys who could take the physical play. Church has to run the scout team and that requires using different offenses then the stuff we run. He's not out their because of just his grades. He played in High School and was decent. I wouldn't be opposed to him getting some garbage time and giving Harris a brief spell. Just slow down the offense use the full 35 and get off a decent shot. He'll hustle his butt off on defense which is better than some of our guys.

We have had walk-ons here before that averaged over 20 points a game in high school. Typically any walk-on guard we have had can run an offense, they run the scout team often, this is nothing new.

I was decent in high school, doesn’t mean I should have been playing back up point guard in high level D1 basketball.

So what do yall think about Church now? He came in the Tulsa game and did his job and played well! He would avg more then 9 points in the intramural leagues.
You make yourself stupid when you say you can beat Church. He is as valuable to our team then Phil, Dijuan, Coley etc… and if you are 42 years old you couldn’t even come close to beating Church. So get over yourself and learn the game of basketball before you spend your life posting on the thread.

So what do yall think about Church now? He came in the Tulsa game and did his job and played well! He would avg more then 9 points in the intramural leagues. You make yourself stupid when you say you can beat Church. He is as valuable to our team then Phil, Dijuan, Coley etc... and if you are 42 years old you couldn't even come close to beating Church. So get over yourself and learn the game of basketball before you spend your life posting on the thread.

Don’t try to make this out to us bashing Church, because that isn’t what is going on.

To say he is as valuable to this team as Phil, Dijuan, Coley, etc…lets be serious.

He dribbled past half court, passed the ball to the left and stood on the right side of the court where his defender didn’t even defend him.

He was put into the game because of extreme issues, not because he should be.

We have had better walk-ons and worse walk-ons and that will continue, but don’t come here and act like the kid is the second coming of Mark Price.

So is Pride a guy that was hurt all season until Saturday? Is he a Team Manager who was filling out bodies? Or was there an open try-out last week for another player, like Texas Tech had this season for it’s football field-goal kicker?
I think he has to be pretty new because he wasn’t in the program, & didn’t have a name on his back.

I am now convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that unccball12 is Kyle Church…

[QUOTE=unccball12;376358]So what do yall think about Church now? He came in the Tulsa game and did his job and played well! He would avg more then 9 points in the intramural leagues.
You make yourself stupid when you say you can beat Church. He is as valuable to our team then Phil, Dijuan, Coley etc… and if you are 42 years old you couldn’t even come close to beating Church. So get over yourself and learn the game of basketball before you spend your life posting on the thread.[/QUOTE]

Lighten up Beavis- I never said he wouldn’t avg 9 pts a game. He is not as valuable as our rotation guys and you’re an idiot if you think so- he’s expendable. He played a few mop up minutes when we were down to eight or so guys in a game when were getting killed.

And don’t talk about things you know nothing about Jr., you make yourself look foolish.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;376364]I am now convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that unccball12 is Kyle Church…[/QUOTE]

Nah, they’re just buddies

I need to clear something up- I don’t mean to disparage Kyle Church here. I’m sure he is a good kid and we need guys to run the scout teams and such. My point is that it’s a big stretch to think that he is ready to help the PG situation, not going to happen.

Dean Smith (who I don’t like but could coach a little) said his ideal team would be 8 schollie players and 5 walk-ons that didn’t expect to play.