TV Binging Thread šŸ“ŗ

https://twitter.com/NelsonAG/status/1577962927382007810

Anyone watched Succession on HBO? Recently acquired a login for HBO Max and came across this show. So far, only through 5 episodes in season 1 but enjoying it so far.

1 Like

Itā€™s part of my rotation. I like it a lot. Glad I stuck it out too. After the first couple of episodes I wasnā€™t sure I would.

Speaking of which, I got the same sensation with Euphoria after the first few episodes and havenā€™t gone back to it.

After 14 Emmy nominations Iā€™m sursprised thereā€™s no talk about Severance.

Iā€™m thinking about trying Dopesick next.

House of the Dragon episode 8 is being hugely celebrated as fantastic. Emmy worthy TV.

Viserys Targaryen Crown GIF by Game of Thrones

As a major GoT nerd, I will say that I thought it was, like the rest of the show, good, but not great. Thatā€™s still way better than any other fantasy show and a lot of others going right now. It is very competently written, acted, and produced. But itā€™s such a small scale show compared to GoT, and it completely lacks the wit, charm, mystery, and wonder of the original. It is very limited to 2 locations, 2-3 families, and the political intrigue between them. Thatā€™s all it is.

However, I think itā€™s what a lot of original GoT fans wanted. They didnā€™t give a crap about most of that other stuff. I think itā€™s a good, but lesser show. They think itā€™s more refined.

At least itā€™s good though. On that I can agree.

Great show! I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread too.

Succession is excellent. This last seasonā€™s finale was the single best episode of TV Iā€™ve ever watched.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/JoePompliano/status/1580587331081613312

Great thread for Welcome to Wrexham fans. Read the whole thing.

Also, this:

https://twitter.com/JoePompliano/status/1580587350542819328

Iā€™ve never watched one of their matches live, but I already know their star players. This should be fun.

Wrexhamā€™s matches arenā€™t streamed anywhere. The league wonā€™t allow it and itā€™s one of the issues Reynolds has tweeted about. Itā€™s kind of cool the match will be aired on Saturday. From what Iā€™ve read the team canā€™t keep merchandise in stock due to demand so the global reach is definitely having an impact. Iā€™ve enjoyed the show so far and while Reynolds is definitley the ā€œmoney manā€ both he and Rob seem invested in the teamā€™s success. Theyā€™ve already said that the Premier League is the dream, but theyā€™d need larger investors if that dream ever came close to being a reality.

its always sunny in philadelphia deal with it GIF

I started watching She Hulk the other nightā€¦ holy cow it was badā€¦ I donā€™t know why the CGI looks so awful with the main actress, it didnā€™t seem to be that bad with previous movies and shows with the Banner Hulk, I got through 2 and a half episodes and had to turn it off, and she talks into the camera alsoā€¦ smh.

Marvel has really gone down hill since they decided to just stuff anything down our throats after endgame.

2 Likes

She Hulk and Rings of Power both had their finales this week, and the reactions of the majority of viewers are negative. There are a lot of common criticisms between them, some of which are opposing cultural viewpoints. But the biggest, most consistent gripe is about the writing in generalā€¦ Itā€™s bad. Like ā€œwhy would you ever spend so much money on an IP only to destroy it with writing that is so lazy and piss poor that it undermines any goodwill the fans ever had towards the IP?ā€ - That level of awful.

I donā€™t see how any of these people making these decisions still have jobs. Quality scripts and episode planning, with focus on narrative arcs, character development, universal themes, and a well defined endgame should be the most important thing any studio does before deciding to produce one of these shows. Yet it seems to be the last thing they prioritize. Itā€™s mind boggling.

Itā€™s probably because itā€™s the hardest thing to get right, but then, thatā€™s what makes doing it properly all the more worthwhile.

Peter Jackson spent FOUR YEARS on preproduction planning for the Lord of the Rings films before he shot a single scene. For the Hobbit, they basically made it up as they went, having no real plan from day to day. The sizable gap in quality of those two trilogies should tell you all you need to know about how important this is. And thatā€™s without even touching any of the culture war issues.

1 Like

The wife and I have really enjoyed Bad Sisters. Itā€™s finale dropped last night I believe.

Marvel stuff has been pretty shocking. After spending over a decade making what were almost always really good movies and weaving a great story between films and doing something never done before and doing it so well, I am amazed at how scattershot the MCU has become.

She-Hulk hasnā€™t bothered me too much. Its been a funny diversion, but no where near on par with previous writing and really canā€™t compare to other shows. I donā€™t understand why they feel the need to push so much content so fast. Loki and WandaVision were great and I loved Moonknight, even if I am still confused itā€™s place in the MCU. Falcon and Ms Marvel had its spots of quality. Just really uneven stuff.

WandaVision is the only Disney+ Marvel show I finished, started them all except the last two. Iā€™ve tapped out on those and unless I hear really good things about a new Marvel series wonā€™t bother with it.

Thatā€™s the plus about nowadays though, there so much content can always find something else to watch.

Edit: Finished Falcon and the Winter Soldier too, thatā€™s how memorable it was for me haha.

I did just start Andor speaking of Disney+, liked the tone of the first episode so fingers crossed.

I think Loki and Moonknight were great. Loki and the multiverse story and Moonknight doing a great job of divining into mental illness. Both were really good IMO.

1 Like

Loved both of these. Miles above She-Hulk. I watch them all, but now Iā€™m going in with much lower expectations, so when I do see a Loki or Moonknight, Iā€™m very pleasantly surprised.

1 Like

I donā€™t see what you guys are seeing with Moon Knight. I loved the character in the comics, but I thought the show was at turns awkward, boring, and pointless. Didnā€™t even finish it. Made it to like episode 4 or 5.

The entirety of Phase 4 of Marvel has been somewhere between utter crap and a snoozefest to me, with the exception of the latest Spidey movie, which I am scared is more highly regarded than it deserves, simply by comparison to the rest of the Phase 4 dreck.

I am not as heavily invested in the MCU as a lot of people are. But if they donā€™t course correct and greatly improve quality for phase 5, Iā€™m going to check out completely.

Right now it feels like the MCU ended with Endgame. Or should have.

2 Likes

Just curious, do we remember when exactly Disney bought out Marvel? Wondering if all the storylines were primarily done through endgame prior to the takeover, which would explain a lot. Disney can ruin anything.

Disney bought Marvel way back in 2009, I just think they made sure to do it right in Phase 1-3ā€¦ then they realized how much of a cash cow it is and donā€™t care anymore, kind of like what happened with Star Wars, Disney thinks they can just throw shit out there and we will eat it up even if itā€™s horribleā€¦ they are figuring out they are wrong about that.

1 Like