Tyler Lewis Transferring to Butler

He was mentioned as a candidate for VT multiple times last season.

Strange that being fired has seemingly helped his career.[/quote]

Mentioned as a candidate is the same thing as being hired, you’re right.[/quote]

Just mentioning where the talk of him going to Wake came from.[/quote]

Of course, who knows what WFU will do when it comes to hiring basketball coaches.

I wonder if he regrets his college choice. His Box score versus Stanford:

[table][tr] [td] [size=0pt]NC State[/size]
[/td] [td] [center][size=0pt]MIN[/size][/center]
[/td] [td] [center][size=0pt]FG[/size][/center]
[/td] [td] [center][size=0pt]FGA[/size][/center]
[/td] [td] [center][size=0pt]3P[/size][/center]
[/td] [td] [center][size=0pt]3PA[/size][/center]
[/td] [td] [center][size=0pt]FT[/size][/center]
[/td] [td] [center][size=0pt]FTA[/size][/center]
[/td] [td] [center][size=0pt]OR[/size][/center]
[/td] [td] [center][size=0pt]DR[/size][/center]
[/td] [td] [center][size=0pt]TOT[/size][/center]
[/td] [td] [center][size=0pt]A[/size][/center]
[/td] [td] [center][size=0pt]PF[/size][/center]
[/td] [td] [center][size=0pt]ST[/size][/center]
[/td] [td] [center][size=0pt]TO[/size][/center]
[/td] [td] [center][size=0pt]BL[/size][/center]
[/td] [td] [center][size=0pt]PTS[/size][/center]
[/td][/tr][/table] [/t] [table][tr][td] [size=0pt]Tyler Lewis[/size]
[/td] [td] [center][size=0pt]4[/size][/center]
[/td] [td] [center][size=0pt]1[/size][/center]
[/td] [td] [center][size=0pt]2[/size][/center]
[/td] [td] [center][size=0pt]0[/size][/center]
[/td] [td] [center][size=0pt]1[/size][/center]
[/td] [td] [center][size=0pt]4[/size][/center]
[/td][/tr][/table]

oops… His Box score
NAME MIN FG FGA 3P FT FTA OR DR TOT A PF ST TO BL PTS
Lewis 4 1 2 0 2 2 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 4

I was at the NCSU game last night, coincidentally.

The main thing with Tyler (that I really noticed anyway) is that his handles are suspect. He just gets pushed around physically out there because he’s small and hasn’t really put on any muscle or gotten lean. So when he gets bullied a little, he has a hard time keeping the ball. Those Stanford players all just seemed to look imposing against him. He had one SICK move where he took a guy off the dribble from the top of the key and threw a nice spin move on him. Of course, he then got stonewalled at the basket. The kid still looks like he has potential, but he’s got a ways to go.

Side-note: #33 for Stanford (Powell, I think?) is flat out nasty. Nice jumper, super quick, and goes up to the rim strong.

He’s only a freshman, so you cannot really expect him to come in and dominate year one. Unfortunately for Tyler, they have recruited some very legit talent behind him, so he may never be more than an off the bench player.

I hate to make predictions this early in someone’s career, but I have a feeling he’ll probably transfer. I also feel like it will not be here.

[quote=“Niner National, post:45, topic:26946”]He’s only a freshman, so you cannot really expect him to come in and dominate year one. Unfortunately for Tyler, they have recruited some very legit talent behind him, so he may never be more than an off the bench player.

I hate to make predictions this early in someone’s career, but I have a feeling he’ll probably transfer. I also feel like it will not be here.[/quote]

High majors expect a lot of 4star/5star freshmen to contribute immediately, and I don’t think that’s unreasonable. I’d say he’s considered disappointing currently.

I hate to knock the kid, but just some observations…

I watched him in that debacle against OK State. He literally could not get the ball up the court. I’m not exaggerating. The simple act of bringing the ball a little ways past half court seemed an insurmountable task to him. He also had a very hard time staying in front of his man on D.

I remember been MEGA disappointed when we missed out on him to State. Not so much any more. He would be playing maybe 5 mpg here behind Pierria and Denzel. Those flashy crossovers make you a Youtube star, but D1 basketball requires an incredible amount of speed and strength, which he does not appear to have a lot of.

Tyler has basketball savy but in a HS's body.  I've watched about all their games on TV and they're giving him scrub minutes.  If the kid wants to play he's gonna have to transfer.  The chances of him getting enough PT to hone his skills are zero to nil.  He's shown potential playing against great competition at Oak Hill but he's gonna have to play enough to become relavent at State ( which ain't happening).
 I don't know if he would be a good fit here or not, but we sure could have used another shooter.  I think if not now,sometime in the near future he's going to realize he made a big mistake.
 Just pretent he signed with us, getting 10 to 15 minutes, 6 to 8 points, and 3 or 4 assists and tell me he wouldn't be happy, content, and glad he was here on a team with our potential for the next 3 or 4 years.  State will be nothing more than afterthought, in the shadows of UNC and Duke, with the only stars they've had stay a year or 2 more and gone.

He’ll probably get better once he’s had a year or two to put on some muscle and get used to the physical play of D-1 defenses. He’s been up against some good talent in high school and AAU, but the defenses there are usually just not nearly as organized, physical, and smart as what you see in college, even when the individual players are talented defenders. Also, pg is the toughest position to come right in and play well as a freshman.

I don’t think he’d transfer to Charlotte either. I would guess Major’s style is probably not the best fit for him. There are plenty of teams desperate for a point guard though, so he could probably find somewhere that would give him playing time to help him get better.

clt hopes the best for this kid, and we should close this thread unless he considers transferring here.

So Lutz spent 3 years recruiting a guy whose very skilled, but small and weak; who wouldn’t get playing time under Major and Bobby is considered for Wake or VT? Yea, that makes sense.

I wish Tyler nothing but the best and hope it works out for him at NCSU. If it doesn’t, I’m sure he’ll land on his feet somewhere.

He just doesn’t look right out there amongst grown men. He seriously looks like a 12 year old boy. He also makes Benkovic look like MJ on defense, just bad. Give me PH any day of the week

Yes, Bobby’s resume comes down to that one point… :-X

No need to tear the kid down. First semester freshman.

Almost everyone said he’d have struggles starting out. Still think he should’ve gone to a “smaller” school, but he’s got the natural talent and work ethic to make it work.

Shoot we tear down our own underclassmen, why not other schools too?

Yes, Bobby’s resume comes down to that one point… :-X[/quote] Of course not. That one point is indicative of his recruiting here from 2005 on though, and recruiting is at least half of a coach’s job. Anyway, I was mostly making light of how funny this thread is, as opposed to slamming Lutz, who I defended during the many “Fire Lutz” threads here.

I am sure there are many mid majors begging him to rebuild their program!