U-Times: Judy Interview

Part II was in today’s UTimes and it is very much about football. Mrs. Rose states that there weren’t people asking her daily about football 10 years ago, but there are now. She mentioned the money issue. She mostly focused on not hurting the current sports (mens basketball), that plays into any decision about football (also mentions the conference issue with football). Most people know this, but they were taking a look at the possiblity of football before 9/11, that changed things financially.

Finally, when asked where she wants Charlotte to be in 20 years she said something along the lines of “Playing basketball and football at a high level in a BCS conference.” She repeatedly stated she wasn’t against football and at the end came out and said she wanted football.

I’m sure I missed some things, but if you are on campus, pick up the new paper and read it, it is really interesting.

[QUOTE=CMack124;188165]Part II was in today’s UTimes and it is very much about football. Mrs. Rose states that there weren’t people asking her daily about football 10 years ago, but there are now. She mentioned the money issue. She mostly focused on not hurting the current sports (mens basketball), that plays into any decision about football (also mentions the conference issue with football). Most people know this, but they were taking a look at the possiblity of football before 9/11, that changed things financially.

Finally, when asked where she wants Charlotte to be in 20 years she said something along the lines of “Playing basketball and football at a high level in a BCS conference.” She repeatedly stated she wasn’t against football and at the end came out and said she wanted football.

I’m sure I missed some things, but if you are on campus, pick up the new paper and read it, it is really interesting.[/QUOTE]

Very interesting… So much for the Judy doesn’t want football crowd.

that is awesome news. That is interesting about pre 9/11 but things are different now. Our basketball program is now established. We now have our athletics program as CHARLOTTE, we have Nike uniforms and gear, Niner Nation is what gang green wet dreamed about. The economy is rolling, and even more so here in the Charlotte area. I know that things are much different now with gas prices, but interest rates are low, financing projects is a little lower now. Below is the DOW over the last 5 years i know it isnt the exact indicator of how things are for creating football but we are better off than we were before 9/11. Wachovia was going to build a skyscraper before 9/11 but held off, now they are in the plans to do it again. everything is coming back.

[SIZE=7][B][SIZE=6]THE TIME IS NOW![/SIZE]

[/B][/SIZE]

Judy gets a free t-shirt…

That is exciting news. She is the best person to have on our side right now. Hopefully, she’ll be able to help us convince the Chancellor that we need to do this. As far as the conference issue is concerned, is there something that is keeping us in the A-10? I mean, if we start a football team, can’t we switch to another conference (assuming they want us)?

awesome, maybe she can push the chancellor to start a real push for football. The sooner the movement gets school recognition, the sooner things get accomplished.

[QUOTE=RWORKMAN09;188173]awesome, maybe she can push the chancellor to start a [B]real[/B] push for football. The sooner the movement gets school recognition, the sooner things get accomplished.[/QUOTE]

There is a [B]real [/B]push happening right now…

Well, I’m sold… Everyone definitely needs to stop calling for her to be fired and such.

Maybe she should be contacted and asked what can be done our our side to help out the situation the most from her point of view.

[QUOTE=Jimmyhat49er;188176]There is a [B]real [/B]push happening right now…[/QUOTE]
okay, I misworded it, I mean one the school recognizes. That’s all I meant by it. I didn’t mean to take anything away from what you and the others here are doing.

Does somebody always have to be the scapegoat? I seriously doubt Dubois is against football either. They both have the goal of funding all of our current teams and I seriously doubt either would pass up the chance at football if the money was there and the timing was right.

Until I see results from her, it’s just talk.

[QUOTE=RWORKMAN09;188178]okay, I misworded it, I mean one the school recognizes. That’s all I meant by it. I didn’t mean to take anything away from what you and the others here are doing.[/QUOTE]

I was just busting your balls…

There is also an article in the same issue from an interview with the new vice chancellor, Niles Sorensen, that mentions football. He talks about wanting to help develop a stronger sense of community and build a stronger alumni program that makes alumni feel like they have a place here. He wants to work on a way to re-engage them with the university. Here’s some of what he says and the article says…

“Adding a school football team is something they’ve examined in the past and we’ll continue to do so,” he explains “But the big question here is how will it affect the university? If we set aside money for a football program and a new stadium, what suffers?” Sorensen also says that he understands here are very vocal supporters for the project, but wonders where the money would come from. Without an increase in the university’s fundraising efforts, he sees dollars being diverted from one of the other projects scheduled to soon begin construction. “I also don’t believe that it just shouldn’t be a top priority right now,” says Sorensen, “because other things need to fall into place first.” Before considering a football stadium, he believes the university should finish projects such as the new baseball field and new health facility.

Before considering, he wants to finish that stuff? Keep in mind…it won’t be very long until those are finished…this is good stuff. That could happen very soon…

Snowball effect time.

Bah, this is the same infinite loop we’ve heard forever.

There will always be projects on the plate. Essentially what he’s saying is that they don’t want to address the stadium until everything else is finished, but what is happening is that new projects sneak into the spectrum while others are being completed. Any project not related to football, of course, does not draw this same stipulation.

It’s all politics. It’s better for them to say that rather than “we will continually put off the issue of a football stadium.”

the stadium in my opinion is a non issue at the moment we could go a couple of years without a stadium. especially as a start up team.

HOWEVER, there is NO sense that funding a stadium and putting the issue out there is not being addressed.

I don’t think Dubois is against football. I remember when he first came he seemed to be interested in the possibility… I think it’s got to be someone on the planning/vision board. Either way, we know we have Judy and my apologies to her for saying that she was the hold up. And I agree that we need Dubois’ official stance and really make Judy’s perspective change from 20 years to 10!

Does somebody always have to be the scapegoat? I seriously doubt Dubois is against football either. They both have the goal of funding all of our current teams and I seriously doubt either would pass up the chance at football if the money was there and the timing was right.

I don’t think anyone is scapegoating. Dubois might not be against it, but he is not publicly for it, either. If he was convinced that this is the time to do it, he could start a real funding push. The Chancellor has more pull in Charlotte and with Charlotte businesses than Judy does. You can’t tell me that if he added that to his list of priorities that he wouldn’t find the money somewhere. We just need to nudge him enough to move on it. It is our job to show him that now is the time.

I don't think anyone is scapegoating. Dubois might not be against it, but he is not publicly for it, either. If he was convinced that this is the time to do it, he could start a real funding push. The Chancellor has more pull in Charlotte and with Charlotte businesses than Judy does. You can't tell me that if he added that to his list of priorities that he wouldn't find the money somewhere. We just need to nudge him enough to move on it. It is our job to show him that now is the time.

It all comes down to (in this order): the AD (done) → the chancellor → the University of North Carolina (the system) → the state legislature

It all comes down to (in this order): the AD (done) -> the chancellor -> the University of North Carolina (the system) -> the state legislature

if pembroke can get a team i think 3 and 4 are done and done

Is the article on Nineronline.com? because I have not found it yet.