UAB Pre & Post game thread

[quote=ā€œNinerWupAss, post:38, topic:30124ā€][quote=ā€œIron9er, post:34, topic:30124ā€][quote=ā€œGas49er, post:24, topic:30124ā€]One word that needs to be repeated from previous posts. AMAZING. 5 guys if which 3 are freshmen. 1 center and 4 guards. Heart. Guts. Class. Fight. Smarts. Selflessness. Improvement. Price makes Major look silly. However, IMO, Price is better than Bobby and Melvin too. I hate to make a statement this early, but better than Mullins too.

Also, who is our last freshman to score 30?[/quote]

Wow. Cā€™mon.[/quote]

The coach of the local middle school girls team would make Major look silly. I like Price and I think he will get us turned around, but saying he is better then those three is a bit much. Letā€™s see him dance before we declare such lofty things.[/quote]

I hate to make early assumptions too, and I always reserve judgment. However, since this is my last day as a true 49er, I will stick to that thought of better than Mullins. I will be 50 tomorrow.

I canā€™t wait to watch live Twitter feeds of a student bonfire on the front field after a CUSA tournament win! Was anybody there in '88?

Also, I remember Mullins addressing the students on that front field. Does anyone remember that? It was a different night. Maybe early in the season?

Finally, I never saw Foster coach and was only 9 or 10 watching Rose on TV, so I canā€™t compare Price to those legends.

Happy birthday. I hope your 50ā€™s are full of Niner success.

My guess would be Rodney White. Jarvis before him and Henry before him.

Guessingā€¦but educated guessing.

My guess would be Rodney White. Jarvis before him and Henry before him.

Guessingā€¦but educated guessing.[/quote]

I think it was said that Braz put in 30

Donā€™t think Braz did it as a frosh though.

Iā€™m betting TR is right.

This team is starting to win me over with their heart. If Sully and Van Hook can both come back and we can stay healthy, we may still make a little bit of noise this season despite the appearance of the record.

Uchebo has been a revelation. Would have loved to have him out of HS. As Jobey Thomas said several times, he has been amazing. Best post play we have had in a long time (even if he doesnā€™t always step out on shooters).

Thatā€™s the only downside. We have to get Brax and these stud frosh guards some help, but we have to replace Ucheboā€™s stellar production before we start improving. Thatā€™s gonna take 2-3 stud post players, including at least one JUCO or 5th year to give us some experience. Iā€™m also thinking Izundu made a bad choice.

The Good: Well played game. I have been critical of Scott, but he played as close to perfect as it comes last night. The most encouraging thing I saw in this game was the play ran which freed Scott up for game tying 3 at the end of the game. That was perfectly executed, in a situation which required it, and it got the ball in our hottest players hands. Incredible to watch a that play develop. I havenā€™t seen that type of execution in 10 years at least. The heart that these 3 freshman and Uchebo play with is worth watching even though it hasnā€™t translated into wins yet. These kids deserve some Wā€™s!!!

The bad: Uchebo will not be here next year. Benas, Camidge and Blakely are not D-1 players and are occupying space that is greatly needed for Bigs who can actually compete at this level. Without Uchebo, and nobody to replace him, we may potentially be worse next year. I really hope this staff has an ace or two up their sleeve when it comes to recruiting and that 1 or all of those guys sees the writing on the wall and transfer or go back home. If Uchebo goes down with an injury, we are gonna be back to losing by 20. There are a ton of schools out there wishing they had Uchebo right now. The guy is a warrior.

i agree that we need some bigs for next season. if we can land williams, bol, and mcmanus, in addition to having jackson, priceā€™s son, to go with our returning players, we could be really good next season. our backcourt in particular, could be awesome. i wonder if price is trying to push benas out the door by not playing him at all last night.

Benas doesnā€™t deserve to play. I am sure Price is not scheming to get him out. He just has sucked all year.

Agree. Itā€™s bad when a walk on is gobbling up your minutes. And heā€™s gobbling them up because heā€™s playing better, not due to any scheme.

[quote=ā€œ2k, post:19, topic:30124ā€][quote=ā€œNugget, post:17, topic:30124ā€]It sounds like Sullivan and Vanhook will both be back for Marshall.[/quote]Iā€™d be stunned if Sully plays again, hope you are right.[/quote]I said 2,weeks ago I thought Sully would come back while everyone else seemed to think he was done.

in defense of Benas, heā€™s not a back to the basket player. When he came here
Iā€™m sure he didnā€™t think he would be playing in the post.

[quote=ā€œGas49er, post:41, topic:30124ā€][quote=ā€œNinerWupAss, post:38, topic:30124ā€][quote=ā€œIron9er, post:34, topic:30124ā€][quote=ā€œGas49er, post:24, topic:30124ā€]One word that needs to be repeated from previous posts. AMAZING. 5 guys if which 3 are freshmen. 1 center and 4 guards. Heart. Guts. Class. Fight. Smarts. Selflessness. Improvement. Price makes Major look silly. However, IMO, Price is better than Bobby and Melvin too. I hate to make a statement this early, but better than Mullins too.

Also, who is our last freshman to score 30?[/quote]

Wow. Cā€™mon.[/quote]

The coach of the local middle school girls team would make Major look silly. I like Price and I think he will get us turned around, but saying he is better then those three is a bit much. Letā€™s see him dance before we declare such lofty things.[/quote]

I hate to make early assumptions too, and I always reserve judgment. However, since this is my last day as a true 49er, I will stick to that thought of better than Mullins. I will be 50 tomorrow.

I canā€™t wait to watch live Twitter feeds of a student bonfire on the front field after a CUSA tournament win! Was anybody there in '88?

Also, I remember Mullins addressing the students on that front field. Does anyone remember that? It was a different night. Maybe early in the season?

Finally, I never saw Foster coach and was only 9 or 10 watching Rose on TV, so I canā€™t compare Price to those legends.[/quote]

Loved Foster! He was the kind of coach that tried to beat you by 30+ and score 100+ at the same time, no matter who you were (or werenā€™t). Good times.

Since itā€™s now decided that Mark Price is the greatest basketball coach in school history, the next step by the school needs to be a 10ā€™-12ā€™ statue of Mark Price to replace the Belk Tower

I said i thought he would be done and honestly i would prefer he not step back on the court. If Drs clear him then fine but Iā€™d really rather him stay on the bench. Itā€™s just basketball and not worth his future.

I said i thought he would be done and honestly i would prefer he not step back on the court. If Drs clear him then fine but Iā€™d really rather him stay on the bench. Itā€™s just basketball and not worth his future.[/quote] Absolutely agree. Not like we are going to win a natā€™l championship anyway.

ā€¦and even if we wereā€¦

He shouldnā€™t come back. Thatā€™s the point.

No. If he wants to play AND the doctors clear him ( which they would have to do) then he should be allowed to play, period. Do you guys think you know better or care more about him than the doctors or coaches do?

No. Athletes just want to play and Doctors just look at the science. The dude has had multiple concussions that have kept him out extended amounts of time and we know each concussion makes getting another one more likely. I just donā€™t want something to happen that impacts his long term future. If he is cleared I get it, he can play - but I am going to be very uneasy watching him step on the court and would just prefer him not play again. Just not worth it in my book and as a fan I donā€™t want to watch it.

No. Athletes just want to play and Doctors just look at the science. The dude has had multiple concussions that have kept him out extended amounts of time and we know each concussion makes getting another one more likely. I just donā€™t want something to happen that impacts his long term future. If he is cleared I get it, he can play - but I am going to be very uneasy watching him step on the court and would just prefer him not play again. Just not worth it in my book and as a fan I donā€™t want to watch it.[/quote]
I feel the same way, his long term health is the most important thing. I do not know anything about what is going on with Sully, but I did have some inside knowledge of a similar situation on the womenā€™s team a few years back. The player had the same issues with multiple concussions, and we pulled the plug on her playing based on the doctorā€™s advice. She and her parents were very upset and wanted her to playā€“and they were well educated, successful peopleā€“and threatened to sue to get her back on the court. Charlotte said no, her health comes first, and here is our lawyerā€™s number. Of course her scholarship was still good and she was going to be able to finish her education here. She did not play for us again, but I believe she transferred down and played her last year somewhere else. I tell this story to illustrate that I do not think our school would allow Sullivan to play if the doctor said no. There would be no quibbling about it.