UNC Charlotte student found dead on the Catawba River

This is what someone says on the charlotte.com comments:

concerned33 wrote on 12/12/2008 03:54:15 PM:

All of you are basing your judgement solely on how they look - not on evidence or personal knowledge of the accused. I know Mr. Cassada and I am SHOCKED he was even considered a suspect, let alone arrested. When you have known someone your entire life you have seen the good and bad of that person and trust me This man did NOT commit this crime. I suggest you look past his appearance.

um whoever wrote that obviously has never studied the cases of btk and ted bundy. btk was a family man and ted bundy was a handsome, young lawyer. no one suspected those to to be serial killers, but look how they turned out. I understand the point the person is trying to make, but come on… think about what you’re saying…

the mug shots look guilty. You can see it in their eyes. I don't see any defiance at all.
You can see more than guilt in their eyes.

I hope, if these guys did it that they face something that is equal to what they did, but they’re not guilty just because they look guilty. Let’s not be a group that is so interested in finding the guilty party that we automatically assume things are true without knowing anything about it. We’re all more intelligent than that.

Ira was a good friend of me and wayton5646’s. She was an amazing girl that always gave everyone a fair look and was always genuine to everyone she knew.

Today has been a confusing one. Although it is good that they have found the suspects, this has been one of the hardest days I’ve been through since the month of her murder.

I learned a lot from her and one of the most important things I learned was not to judge people. I understand that these guys look dirty and guilty and part of me wants to say that makes them guilty. But when I think about Ira I know that I can’t actually judge these guys by their cover. I hope to god that they have the right guys and that they get the treatment that they deserve, but we won’t know until they’re proven guilty. I just hope that the trial is honest and that they have the right people.

Her family is just as incredible as she is and I hope that today will help clear things up for them.

[B][SIZE=6]QFT[/SIZE][/B]

R.I.P. Ira

I hope, if these guys did it that they face something that is equal to what they did, [B][U]but they're not guilty just because they look guilty. Let's not be a group that is so interested in finding the guilty party that we automatically assume things are true without knowing anything about it.[/U][/B] We're all more intelligent than that.

:huh::huh::huh:
I just said they look the part- cast right out of a movie

Ira was a good friend of me and wayton5646's. She was an amazing girl that always gave everyone a fair look and was always genuine to everyone she knew.

Today has been a confusing one. Although it is good that they have found the suspects, this has been one of the hardest days I’ve been through since the month of her murder.

I learned a lot from her and one of the most important things I learned was not to judge people. I understand that these guys look dirty and guilty and part of me wants to say that makes them guilty. But when I think about Ira I know that I can’t actually judge these guys by their cover. I hope to god that they have the right guys and that they get the treatment that they deserve, but we won’t know until they’re proven guilty. I just hope that the trial is honest and that they have the right people.

Her family is just as incredible as she is and I hope that today will help clear things up for them.

as you get older, you will learn the book’s cover is usually accurate of whats inside

[QUOTE=metro;369692]as you get older, you will learn the book’s cover is usually accurate of whats inside[/QUOTE]

That’s what you believe. I’m sure plenty of other people might say that too, but I am also sure that plenty of others would say the complete opposite.

I bet there are people who analyze mug shots and are probably pretty good at finding tendencies in the looks of the guilty in their mugshots and maybe they have proven statistics too, but he bottom line is that I don’t feel that someone should be judged based on appearance.

[QUOTE=metro;369692]as you get older, you will learn the book’s cover is usually accurate of whats inside[/QUOTE]

You sure base a lot of your beliefs on age, Metro. But you’re what, 35? That’s pretty young. What does that say about the knowledge that you think you have right now?

So I took a few days to process my thoughts before posting. To say the least, I am angry and confused.

Im glad they caught these guys. This case hits especially close to home for me. I cant image the bittersweet relief the family is feeling. I know their feeling ‘5 minutes’. Thats when you want 5 minutes with each of those no good ****ing assholes. Now all I can think is…

Why???

I dont know. Im going to stop typing, because all I feel is hate about those motherless ****s. Personally I am more of a pacifist… but its amazing at how something can fill you with such disdain and hate, make you a different person.

Good Day.

[URL=http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/417461.html]$1 million bail set[/URL]

[QUOTE]In an interview from jail published by the Gaston Gazette, Carver said Friday that detectives told him DNA evidence inside Yarmolenko’s car linked him and Cassada to the murder.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Gill2003;369821]
Now all I can think is…

Why???

[/QUOTE]

I can’t imagine what you have gone through man, but I ask myself the same question whenever I read about this story.

If they let these nut cases go becuse of a insanity plea…

If they let these nut cases go becuse of a insanity plea....
well if its proven they did it....they would never be back in society, but just get to avoid death

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;370418][URL=http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/417461.html]$1 million bail set[/URL][/QUOTE]

DNA does not lie. Smack the gavel. I’m surprised they gave them bail at all.

[QUOTE=metro;370430]well if its proven they did it…they would never be back in society, but just get to avoid death[/QUOTE]

The prosecutor has already said they would not be seeking the death penalty. Apparently they couldn’t prove one of the ‘11 aggravating factors’ required under NC law.

I saw a video interview done by the Gaston Gazette with one of the guys from jail, and it seemed like he was mentally unstable. Either that, or has a very low IQ.

I could care less if they are legally “crazy” or not. You have to be sick to do what they are accused of doing. Throw them in Gen Pop for life and let them get their due.

Apparently they couldn't prove one of the '11 aggravating factors' required under NC law.

I saw a video interview done by the Gaston Gazette with one of the guys from jail, and it seemed like he was mentally unstable. Either that, or has a very low IQ.

Mentally unstable, low IQ or not. If these guys did it, they should be destroyed just like you’d destroy a dog if it attacked somebody. Why does our system have so much problem with the death penalty? 11 aggravating factors? It should be one. You killed somebody, you’re unfit for society, die. I know it sounds harsh, but if we put more people to death that, well, don’t deserve to live, we’d save a **** load on taxes as well. If these guys did what they are being held for, they should die. **** them.

I don’t care about the death penalty so much…
it pisses me off that most murderers have [U]BEEN IN AND OUT OF JAIL 10x FOR VIOLENCE[/U]

quit letting them go

[QUOTE=Submarley734;370506]Mentally unstable, low IQ or not. If these guys did it, they should be destroyed just like you’d destroy a dog if it attacked somebody. Why does our system have so much problem with the death penalty? 11 aggravating factors? It should be one. You killed somebody, you’re unfit for society, die. I know it sounds harsh, but if we put more people to death that, well, don’t deserve to live, we’d save a **** load on taxes as well. If these guys did what they are being held for, they should die. **** them.[/QUOTE]

That is assuming that everyone found guilty of murder actually committed the crime. The Innocence Project has exonerated over 225 people who were originally found guilty of a crime that they did not commit, several of which were sentenced to death.

http://www.innocenceproject.org/