Wake Forest Home Game 11-17-19 6:00 Tip

Just curiousā€¦anyone know what the line was for the game tonight???

There were at least 4 blatant wrong calls for both teams on balls going out of bounds. Iā€™m assuming they were doing makeup calls but sheesh. How do you keep track of what team is owed what?

Charlotte +3.5

It actually got to +2.5 according to ESPN. I got it at 6.5 midweek

Wake message board

https://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/31928-KP-Report-UNCC-49ers-ESPNU-Sunday-6pm

Great win tonight! Felt great to be back on a national network! Crowd actually looked good and sounded loud on ESPNU. Keep winning and that crowd will return.

Really noticed the defensive effort and the hustle. Very much on brand for the Ron Sanchez UVA influence. Two big back to back wins.

Letā€™s take care of App on Thursday!

5 Likes

Welcome to the board

From the Wake board:

Can we trade UNCC player Andian White for UNCC freshman Jamir Young?

4 Likes

We won this ball game on the free throw line, 18 of 22. Shepherd is doing a great job running the point and is an incredible rebounder for his size. Got 9 tonight to lead the team.

4 Likes

This team is humble, tough, relentless and disciplined. Just like their coach. Great week for Niner basketball

2 Likes

Slightly out rebounded Wake, which is remarkable considering their size.
Their seven footer (#30) managed to miss a few point blank layups. If I were a Wake fan, Iā€™d be curious why the dude doesnā€™t dunk.

That was another great game. I cannot figure out how our D is so much better the last two games than against JMU. I u.derstand why we have trimmed down minutes of other guys, but I hate it for them.

Tonight was just darn fun again. The crowd was full of energy.

1 Like

I was somewhat worried about Sarr #30 since he scored 14 on us last season and had 21 vs UNCA last Wednesday on 9-9 FG and 3-4 FT. Definitely didnā€™t look good offensively tonight with 2-9 FG but did grab 13 rebounds.

BTW, I thought palming the ball was supposed to be a recent point of emphasis per officiating. Childress was doing it all night!

Seems thatā€™s more often than not the case for the Niners. Good win - controlled the tempo well.

It is finally starting to feel good to be a Niner again! This has been a long, dark winter we are emerging from. Sanchez is living up to what I hoped heā€™d be as our head coach.

3 Likes

That Wake thread is quite the collection of frustrated fans. They are worse than this board was at the end of both Majorā€™s and Priceā€™s tenure. Though I have to agree with some of their gripes, Wakeā€™s players not knowing to foul at the end of OT was pretty ridiculous. Young had a great game, but I do hope the coaches take a minute to point out to him that that last shot attempt with 2 seconds left was not the best move. He forced a few shots in close late, but otherwise played a brilliant game, really excited to see what he can do in the future.

I really liked this defense. Active hands by guys not even on the ballhandler. I saw probably 4 or 5 tipped passes that prevented open shots that weā€™d have never seen just a few years ago. That kind of scrappiness, hustle and positioning forces the other team into what look like bad turnovers and bad shots. Team defense, finally! I hope they keep it up.

The passing on some of those backdoor cuts and drives was fun to watch, good execution. Wakeā€™s defense wasnā€™t great (aside from some tough shotblocking, though really Sarr shouldā€™ve fouled out for how many times he bodied our shooters when he didnā€™t get the block). But some of those passes beat decent coverage because they were quick and precise.

I enjoyed this game even with some heartburn late. First time in a while Iā€™m optimistic that we could exceed preseason projections.

2 Likes

Shout out to Amidou Bamba who quietly had a great game. He played solid D on much bigger players without fouling, hustled his tail off, made great passes, and had some impressive finishes. Honestly I was not expecting much from him this year. I thought heā€™d basically be just a body to take up space and rebound and foul, but heā€™s proving to be a force under the basket.

5 Likes

He really was fantastic and probably deserves his own appreciation thread. The high-low game with him and our guards reminded me of what good basketball looked like. Showed good touch around the rim with the half hooks but took it to the rim and threw it down when the opportunity was there. And like you said, did great defending a lot of long guys on the Wake team. He had maybe one bad play on offense all game (the pass out of bounds) and immediately shook it off and went back to doing work.

3 Likes

Absolutely loved Coach on the postgame. Between Healey and Sanchez we hired coaches that take accountability.

Coach said the isolations towards the end were staffs decision and that they should have just run the offense.

Also loved him saying they practice FTs like each one is a game winner. Contrast that with Major who said the kept FT practice casual so as to not make them bigger than they were.

Young is going to be special. This team is going to be fun to watch all season. With some of the young guys Iā€™m sure there will be some bumps in the road. But if we stay true to defensive system we should be in every game.

I was telling the ref that 0, Childress, was palming the ball all night long. It is supposed to be a point of emphasis. Not a good ref crew. Blew calls both ways.