When do we finally start a real fight for the name change?

Last night I about lost it. The straw that broke the camels back happened last night at work when a lady who’s been going to Niners games for years called us UNC. Her: “Hey didn’t I see you a while back at the UNC football celebration.” Me: “uhh UNCC, well even UNCC isn’t right, we’re just Charlotte in athletics, but yeah.” Her: Looks at me like I have three heads, because DUHHH people, we are UNC, right!?! UGGGGHH…

Barring a complete economic meltdown and reverting back to the Great Depression, barring violent alien invaders from another planet invading and enslaving humans, FOOTBALL WILL HAPPEN. Don’t get me wrong, we still need to do our part to support and push along football, but it’s time to take that rabid energy we showed for the football movment and focus it towards changing our god-awful name. IT"S TIME TO GET REALLY PISSED OFF AND MAKE THIS HAPPEN! IT’S TIME TO SHOW CHAPEL HILL PHIL THAT WE WANT OUR OWN IDENTITY AND ARE FREAKIN SICK AND DAMN TIRED OF UNC-CHAPEL HILL GETTING CREDIT EVERY TIME ONE OF OUR PROFESSORS ACHIEVE SOMETHING GREAT, AND IT’S TIME TO STOP HAVING TO LISTEN TO PEOPLE SAY “DURR OH GREAT I LOVE THE TAR HEELS” EVERY TIME WE TELL THEM WE GO/WENT TO UNC CHARLOTTE!!

How do we do it? I’ll be honest I really don’t know. But we need to start NOW. I know the support is there, we just need to harness it and direct it towards the common goal.

Mods, I wasn’t sure which forum to put this in, so please move it to whichever is appropriate.

This. It’s very tiresome when. Football gives us a new identity and visibility, perfect time for a name change to make it even more impactful.

[quote=“Chisox17, post:1, topic:23897”]Last night I about lost it. The straw that broke the camels back happened last night at work when a lady who’s been going to Niners games for years called us UNC. Her: “Hey didn’t I see you a while back at the UNC football celebration.” Me: “uhh UNCC, well even UNCC isn’t right, we’re just Charlotte in athletics, but yeah.” Her: Looks at me like I have three heads, because DUHHH people, we are UNC, right!?! UGGGGHH…

Barring a complete economic meltdown and reverting back to the Great Depression, barring violent alien invaders from another planet invading and enslaving humans, FOOTBALL WILL HAPPEN. Don’t get me wrong, we still need to do our part to support and push along football, but it’s time to take that rabid energy we showed for the football movment and focus it towards changing our god-awful name. IT"S TIME TO GET REALLY PISSED OFF AND MAKE THIS HAPPEN! IT’S TIME TO SHOW CHAPEL HILL PHIL THAT WE WANT OUR OWN IDENTITY AND ARE FREAKIN SICK AND DAMN TIRED OF UNC-CHAPEL HILL GETTING CREDIT EVERY TIME ONE OF OUR PROFESSORS ACHIEVE SOMETHING GREAT, AND IT’S TIME TO STOP HAVING TO LISTEN TO PEOPLE SAY “DURR OH GREAT I LOVE THE TAR HEELS” EVERY TIME WE TELL THEM WE GO/WENT TO UNC CHARLOTTE!!

How do we do it? I’ll be honest I really don’t know. But we need to start NOW. I know the support is there, we just need to harness it and direct it towards the common goal.

Mods, I wasn’t sure which forum to put this in, so please move it to whichever is appropriate.[/quote]

I have one idea to really take this movement beyond our message board, it will take some cooperation from Section 104 though.

1st we need to get a huge friggin’ banner with the University of Charlotte logo, from the from the facebook group.

At halftime of a basketball game, since CHP is there, have 104 unfold it and hold it over the heads chanting “U of C”, if this could happen we could really get CHP’s attention, unlike his “agree to disagree” e-mails. We could also let all the average fans/students that such a movement exists while at the same time getting their initial reaction to the idea of a name-change.

[quote=“itsbraille49, post:3, topic:23897”][quote=“Chisox17, post:1, topic:23897”]Last night I about lost it. The straw that broke the camels back happened last night at work when a lady who’s been going to Niners games for years called us UNC. Her: “Hey didn’t I see you a while back at the UNC football celebration.” Me: “uhh UNCC, well even UNCC isn’t right, we’re just Charlotte in athletics, but yeah.” Her: Looks at me like I have three heads, because DUHHH people, we are UNC, right!?! UGGGGHH…

Mods, I wasn’t sure which forum to put this in, so please move it to whichever is appropriate.[/quote]

I have one idea to really take this movement beyond our message board, it will take some cooperation from Section 104 though.

1st we need to get a huge friggin’ banner with the University of Charlotte logo, from the from the facebook group.

At halftime of a basketball game, since CHP is there, have 104 unfold it and hold it over the heads chanting “U of C”, if this could happen we could really get CHP’s attention, unlike his “agree to disagree” e-mails. We could also let all the average fans/students that such a movement exists while at the same time getting their initial reaction to the idea of a name-change.[/quote]

Something like this idea was floated a few years ago. Chanting ‘We’re not UNC’ to CHP. Sign will def. help. A bigger push from students in general is going to be needed, but it has to be organized and well planned.

Paging 49orBust.

Good ideas fellas.

Stinks all this has to came from paasionate alum (the few there are) and students and not admin.

Hard to comprehend the mindset that UNCC is more marketable than UofC. Then again, maybe that’s the point?

Braille and Gill, I love the idea of getting CHP’s and the general public’s attention at bball games. Keep the ideas coming guys!

I like the idea too. It would also have a larger impact if it was one of our TV games. Or Homecoming.

Some simple tee shirts that say University of Charlotte, or just www.UniversityofCharlotte.net that we could all wear to games would be awesome. I’d buy one.

Getting student support is priority #1 but that won’t be enough this time. This time we have to get the majority of alumni behind it too. CHP thinks he’ll have to issue new dipolmas to everyone. We’ll need a student vote. We’ll need to make it clear to both groups that we’re not succeeding from the UNC System, just changing the name. We need to have city leaders like the Mayor come out in favor of it as well.

Students + Alumni + City Leaders = Name Change

We may need to aim for the Va Tech method. Official name remains UNC Charlotte but we change signs, letterhead, website, ect to U of C. Then, once we ARE U of C we can go to step two of changing the official name or even better, we won’t have to.

I like this idea.

I think the sign might be the best idea to start things off with. It is more likely that we can convince students who go to basketball games than students who don’t. Next step. How big is this sign/banner going to be or are we going to make tons of small signs that form the logo and coordinate with all of 104 to raise them at a certain point?

i sent CHP an email that i heard about the “UNC investigation” and that i was concerned that we were involved. I mean after all, when good things happen some articles refer to us as UNC.

I don’t think he sensed the sarcasm or the point though.

Front of shirts:
[center]The University of[/center] [center]North Carolina at[/center] [center]CHARLOTTE[/center] Back of shirts:
[center]Let’s stand on our [/center] [center]own two feet![/center] [center] [/center] [center]Support Name Change![/center] [center] [/center] [left]and/or:[/left] [center]Get the UNC[/center] [center]out of Charlotte![/center] [center] [/center] [center]Support Name Change![/center] [center] [/center] [left]and/or:[/left] [center]No more Name[/center] [center]Confusion![/center] [center] [/center] [center]Support Name Change![/center]

I love the banner at bball idea…let’s do it!

I think if we could get some women to sow some sheets together, then have the logo painted on it, spread it out over multiple rows. Or have several sheets that it takes 6-8 kids to hold up with the logo on it.

Real student fans would paint it on their chest.

Have the front row paint UNC Charlotte on their chest with the NC having a red line through it. For shits and giggles you can paint one with a hyphen with red line through it. Have “of” painted on the back of the hyphen and when they turn around voila you have U of Charlotte.

I’m all for a name change guys but does it have to be University of Charlotte? I’ve actually always preferred Charlotte University over University of Charlotte. It rolls off the tongue better and it’s always seemed more prestigious. Just a suggestion.

Way to steal my thunder, Chisox ::slight_smile:

Nah, jk. I’ll post something more later. Not enough time right this moment to give this the attention it deserves.

Put the cap back on that can of worms.

I say we do it ourselves.

Stop referring to it as “UNCC” or “UNC Charlotte”.

Start saying “University of Charlotte.”

Who cares if it is ‘correct’? Create a culture around the University of Charlotte. Take it out of CHP’s hands, rather than say “hey, can we be the University of Charlotte now?”

Say, “We are the University of Charlotte.”

We got football by forcing it down his throat… and that is what we have to do here.