When do we finally start a real fight for the name change?

At least at the Tennessee game, I will have my own poster board with something referring to the name change.

I went and had green Uof C(white letters) tee shirts printed this summer. I kept 2 and gave the rest to friends and family.

Is there anything we can do or say that isn’t an inferiority complex? I’ve heard this phrase way too many times on this board and to be honest all I see is people having an inferiority complex over others having inferiority complexes. For the love of god can we give that a rest?[/quote]

Yeah, it gets misused all of the time. That and the “little brother” description. Usually it’s what people against the agenda use because they do not have any legitimate arguments.

Stop feeling inferior.

Be proud of who you aren’t.

I thought you were never posting here again.[/quote]

He’s in town for NN.N homecoming.

It’d sure be nice if we could just change our damn web address to charlotte.edu

I know there is supposedly a law that prevents that or whatever, but I don’t buy that they can’t get around that. I just see it as an excuse to an easy and much needed change.

From e-mails that haven’t e-mailed CHP yet. 1 e-mail saying I don’t want my school to be confused with CH FB scandal. 2nd e-mail is angry person claiming he thinks Phil is Pres. of CH & how awful their FB scandal is. :))

Lew I have said U of C to some people not affiliated with the school, & then explained it was UNC Charlotte. It does cause some confusion at 1st, but they get the concept.

Other than VPI being VT, Fresno St & Long Beach St are techincally Cal St-Fresno & Cal State-LB, but refuse to be called as such.

[quote=“EE9er, post:28, topic:23897”][quote=“ZombieLew, post:27, topic:23897”]I was already planning on making banners at campouts for games, I’ll definitely make sure this gets on one.

Also, a “U of C” chant doesn’t necessarily have to coincide with the banner… I think if that becomes a common chant, it would go a long way towards pushing the agenda.[/quote]

I am 1 million percent for the name change, but I just thought of something… you might want to do something other than " U of C" I can defently see it sounding like “U N C” if it’s not 100 percent clear and well… that doesn’t help us out at all does it…[/quote]

I agree. “U of C” is dangerous. Why not just “UC”? If you don’t think people would get the message, you could go for “U of — Charlotte” in a back and forth chant fashion perhaps.

The thing is, VT & GT weren’t changing their name to escape the name of another, bigger school. They weren’t changing their name from a widely used and know prefix or the same suffix as so many community colleges. And had people still called them VPI or GIT, it wouldn’t have been even remotely as bad as it would be if people still called us UNCC.

If you flat out change the name, the result is a big thing. People will pay attention to it because it is something being changed in a concrete fashion. It is actually a momentous deal that both shows that we want our own identity and is something people pay attention to and realize they need to correct themselves in the future.

If you just alter the branding, people can ignore it and still be right. News publications, fans, anyone can still call us UNCC and they would be right. When the news comes out about us doing this, sure it would be big news, but not on the scale that an out right change would be. Our detractors can ignore our rebranding and still always be correct when calling us by our slave name. Those clueless folks who have never been able to get our name right probably are not going to be able to understand that we aren’t UNCC but are now “UC” even though our name is still legitimately UNCC.

Finally (and probably the easiest point :wink: ), we are talking about having UNCC rebrand itself. From what I have heard and what I have seen so many posters on here say, our school and branding are like an oxymoron. Do you really believe our school could find a way to keep our slave name yet successfully brand us with our new name? If the name was just changed, there would still obviously be rebranding needed, but actually making “UNCC” and all its variants be incorrect would completely change this part of the equation.

I understand and agree with your points Bust. I just don’t think they’re obtainable under the current administration. I think that if they took it seriously they would ask for an alumni and student vote and I gaurantee they would ask alumni to buy their own NEW diplomas with the new name for some $200 to $300. I can see the current alumni mixture saying anywhere from 90% to 60% to keep the current name even with free diplomas.

I don’t think you need a new diploma. Did North Texas, Memphis, & Troy issue new diplomas when they dropped the State from their names? Did Pembroke St issue new degrees as UNC Pembroke? Did USC Spartanburg issue new degrees as USC Upstate?

IDK, but did any of them have CHP who would try to make it as hard as possible to change the name in the first place? He’s also the one who said the fans would have to foot the ENTIRE bill for football too.

If that is the case, I’d be willing to just keep the old diploma. The # of times I’ve heard the the current name confusion versus the # of times I’ve actually had somebody look at my diploma has got to be like 1million:1.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:35, topic:23897”]See, this is part of the problem we face.

With football, about 85% of the Niner community has always thought football was a good idea, but with caveats about finances. They were already predisposed to favoring football with the right conditions or administrative support.

With the name change we can’t even be sure what percentage we are dealing with. We need to take the temperature of the Niner community before we can know how to implement an attack plan.[/quote]
This is the sad truth. Football was a good bit easier than this will be as far as getting the people behind it. Football’s big hurdle was always money; the hurdle for a Name Change is properly informing and uniting the people, both student and alumnus.

We are good at the state level - at least we were. I don’t know where this article is (I think I had the link and lost it when my computer broke), but Erskine Bowles, and I think maybe also the BOG basically made it clear that we were okay to change it if we so chose. Things may have changed since a few years ago, but if this is still the reality of things, we need only worry about student’s, alums, BOT, and the Chancellor.

Either way, none of this will happen if we do not first convince the people.

You spoke of gauging the temperature of the Niner community. I think in my time trying to lead this before I graduated, I got a pretty good read. I would say lukewarm. It is on the upper side of the scale, the name change community is bigger, however there are many who do not care, do not know, or are just misinformed. I would say most of these people just need more information and to truly understand the situation, and then they would side with a name change.

However, my reading is mostly of students. I did try to gauge Alums, but that is harder (perhaps some of our older Alums can enlighten us). My take was that it was about the same with them or slightly worse than the student pop. But whatever it is, we also need to inform and unite them because they still have diplomas from here and there are more of them.

I think the current diplomas would be fine too; but CHP, in an attempt to PERMANENTLY kill the name change with a deffinative vote, would add on caveats like buying a new dipolma to help kill the movement. I also, honestly, don’t think the majority of our alumni feel as passionate about the name confusion as we do. Like I said before, football passed so relatively easily because most could see the benefit of it from the start. I think the easier task with the name change is to convince the BoT of the need and skip Dubois and the alumni.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:50, topic:23897”]I understand and agree with your points Bust. I just don’t think they’re obtainable under the current administration. I think that if they took it seriously they would ask for an alumni and student vote and I gaurantee they would ask alumni to buy their own NEW diplomas with the new name for some $200 to $300. I can see the current alumni mixture saying anywhere from 90% to 60% to keep the current name even with free diplomas.[/quote]Not sure I understand the part about buying diplomas. But I agree with you that a name change is a large hurdle, perhaps less attainable than anyone thought football was. While it’s not impossible, I don’t agree with Bust about the impact of rebranding. Not if we treat it like a name change. You don’t rebrand anything and simply send out a letter announcing it. You put it in freaking lights and let it be known.

I think we need to get pamplets with arguments for the name change, and links to Statmats results and the name confusion thread printed up and have students hand them out at the gate before home football, basketball and baseball games. Do the banners and T-shirts too. We need a website with a running pole on the topic to show the admin. Tie it to getting football and trying to get a medical school.

I think this movement would gain the most ground if the students get behind it first.

A big gesture would be perfect, such as a giant banner at a basketball game, I say go for that and keep trying to force the issue in student government.

No, if you unite the people and have a strong enough voice and make it heard (like the largest student vote in NC history), they won’t just sit by and kill it.

I looked up a few replacement diploma prices to get an idea of the cost (couldn’t find it for our school). Including shipping, the prices I have seen have been between $50-75. I do think we will have to replace diplomas to sell the name change. A large # of people who were on the fence or on the ‘No’ side brought up diplomas.

As far as alums, I agree that as you go up in age, amongst all current alum, the support for a name change goes down. In other words, the percentage of 30 year old alums who support it is going to be higher than the percentage of 60 year old alums.