Will Healy Fired

We cannot have enough supporters. Letā€™s encourage Hunter and anticipate him helping to elevate our program.

7 Likes

first; good play on the gold standard, I liked it
Second; I think the crux of the confusion with your comment, is that you infer Hunter is affiliated or a spokesperson for the Big O. My understanding is he is a freelancer and doesnā€™t have any pull on content selection there etc. I donā€™t find any fault or issue in any of your comments, if they were directed at the Disturber and not personalizing it toward Hunter. I have to believe he brings many ideas to the O on articles about CLT Football that get shot down and he takes it to other sites on Social Media.
just my guess

I broke down and paid $5 to listen to the Steven Godfrey Patreon podcasts. He presents himself as an insider talking with a lot of coaches. His first premise which I donā€™t really agree with is Healy was unsuccessful because he had too many staff members leaving for other jobs. Adkins and maybe Joe Cox are the only two that I can think of that fit this description. He mentioned Marcus West but he was forced out because he was bad at his job.

His second premise is Charlotte is lacking its peers in resources. He said Charlotteā€™s assistant coach salary pool is about a million less than that of UTSA and UNT. He knowledge our facilities are newer and nice but still not enough. He gave the example of South Alabama having a new stadium next to a covered practice facility next a field turf practice field next to a grass practice field.

He said he is unclear in what direction Charlotte should go hiring the next coach. He mentioned either hiring a veteran COE style coach or a revolutionary scheme guy. He said the COE style coach will immediately tell us we are lacking in resources and finding the next Jamey Chadwell scheme type coach will be tough.

Football budget wise we are in line with peers. We will need to step that up in the AAC for sure. Reality is at our level a good coordinator is gonna get hired away when a position coach at p5 can make more than our coordinator. That isnā€™t just us, thatā€™s all of g5 except maybe a few. Our pool was really low because it was still based on FCS pay but I know theyā€™ve invested in salary pool.

Healyā€™s first interview since Sunday. He is currently in Florida with Skip Holtz.

1 Like

Well I guess that Rhules out Skippy

That was tough to listen to. Conflicting emotions. Feel bad for the guy, but itā€™s a results business. The human part of it is tough though. Feel sorry for his kid.

4 Likes

Lots of passive aggression in that interview.

3 Likes

ā€œI thought we could win the last 4 gamesā€

Healy is delusional. Maybe thatā€™s his whole problem. Being delusional makes you a bad head football coach.

4 Likes

He kept saying it was about this year but the losing started last year. He was in over his head at this level. Needs to go learn under a veteran coach then try again.

3 Likes

We are the worst team in FBS, have only won 2 of our last 14 games, and we pretty much spot anyone 40 points.

If I was doing the worst of anyone at work, Iā€™d expect to get walked out the door at any point as well.

I hate it for Will as heā€™s a great guy and personality. Itā€™s just where heā€™s at in his career. I have no doubt heā€™ll eventually succeed, just needs more seasoning.

7 Likes

Heā€™s definitely bitter and just like always, heā€™s a salesman. Hopefully, where he says he wouldnā€™t change a thing about how he did things at charlotte is just talk and he changes some things along his journey. I wish him success and there were some memories created during his timeā€¦.good and bad

2 Likes
4 Likes

Bingo!!

He hit the nail on the head, the bowl game was where it turned.

3 Likes

I think in some regards you absolutely want your coach to think this way. It canā€™t be easy to motivate the players when youā€™ve lost 12 out of your last 14 games. Thatā€™s when you need your AD to step in and be the objective party.

Some of the other things that heā€™s spinning though, hopefully he does understand the truth privately, but publicly heā€™s trying to spin it for future employment.

For instance he bragged about being 5-7 last season being the 2nd best record in school history. He mentions some games being close, that could have gone either way. UAB score was close, but UAB had 28 first downs to our 12. He mentions having our 3rd string QB against W&M, but doesnā€™t mention how W&M put up 500+ yards against our defense (the most they have put up this season).

4 Likes

That was when the first doubts crept in. We had a very good team and looked completely unprepared for that game. The Duke win bought him some goodwill, but the truth is, thatā€™s when the slide happened.

Also, my angst about weak recruiting over the last couple of seasons is well documented thanks to my posting propensity. But I was seriously concerned, and it seems those worries were well founded.

4 Likes

Yes, the recruiting is also something Healy doesnā€™t mentioning as being dissappointing. When he was hired, because of his lack of coaching experience, it was hopeful that the recruiting would help make up for that lack of coaching experience.

Healy also mentions in the Chattanooga interview that if the team wins all 4 of their last games it will make it look like the administration made a bad decision. That certainly seems delusional. First, if they win 4 in a row after firing Healy, it would appear to me that Healy was the issue. Second, if they hadnā€™t fired Healy and the team wins the remaining 4 games, the overall record would still only be 5-7, not bowl eligible, 19-24 after 4 seasons.

6 Likes

There was a guy from ESPN on my plane coming back from the bowl game and he told me he had never seen a team so disorganized than us at a bowl game

7 Likes