Will Healy Fired

Most of our coaching staff came from FCS so they had no experience with a bowl game not to mention our administration or fans.

Will will be a great HC someday. Appreciate what he did here but it wasn’t working and he wasn’t gonna turn it around. He and his family will deal with this setback and come back strong and he will apply what he learns. He mentioned A p5 position coach. That’s exactly what he needs to do.

10 Likes

Making this move now adjusts expectations moving forward, and Charlotte will be in full rebuild mode for the jump to the American in 2023.

A new conference. A new head coach. A new-look stadium. A new mentality.

4 Likes

I too thought the bowl game was a turning point for our program as well. Yes we made it to our first bowl, but I was not keen on our approach and then blowout loss.
I do think Will’s biggest mistake was in the DC position. We lost momentum and apparently recruits with the slow play of finding a new DC.
That is the side of the ball that killed us last year and this year.
I wish him well and I know he will learn and grow from this.

clt has a “lit” light for sale. $49 obo

SERIOUS OFFERS ONLY, KNOW WHAT I HAVE

Coaches have egos like anyone so I expected some of that. The “5-7 second best record in school history” comment and “a product of expectations” made my eyes roll. I think he’ll learn from this experience and eventually grow into a really good head coach somewhere. Wish him well!

2 Likes

Losers b passive aggressive

1 Like

People using rolling eyes emoji are passive aggressive, therefore…

I really want to root for him and think I still will, but after that interview I feel less likely to. A true leader would own the failures more than the excuses I heard.

6 Likes

If I truly believed I was going on a 4 game winning streak to end the season but was fired before I could, I’d be pissed too!

If Skip Holtz is hired I’ll be flabbergasted. Not going to happen.

1 Like

You’d also be deluded.

He is campaigning for his next job. That’s all. I’m rooting for him to get the best paying job he can!

8 Likes

Sounds like Will is trying to have it both ways. If they start winning, he can say, “Like I said in the podcasts and interviews after being fired, that we were making improvements”, and if they lose out, he will say “it was because of the new coaching and decision to let me go; so see it wasn’t me”.

If he doesn’t make it as a coach, he can always get into politics.

Move on guys I think some of you are reading way too much into what he said.

8 Likes

I agree…i just listened to the entire interview. It wasn’t at all like i expected based upon some of the posts in this thread.

Dont Tell Me To Calm Down GIF by Diet Cig

1 Like

Can someone mansplain it to me. I have no desire to listen to the fired coach.

1 Like

wow, a coach is always going to say he thinks they can still win. Maybe I am crazy, I didn’t find anything offensive on the interview. It happens, everyone screaming for him to get fired and now everyone complaining he is trying to get a new job. A relationship with Holtz has no bearing on SH being interested in our position. He has to realizes we gave Will the best chance and time to be successful as we could.

3 Likes

“Wow” ???

Not sure that I’m complaining about Will looking for a new position as that is what I would expect (no matter how bad you may or may not be). His lack of experience of being a head coach and not being an X’s and O’s coach just didn’t work for us. I hope the best for him and that he finds a team where his niche works.

I also agree that every coach will say they have a chance of winning (again no matter how bad they may or may not be). It doesn’t mean that I have to like it, especially when there has been zero evidence that the suck meter has ticked down from game 1 to game 6.

Finally, I don’t think any of us know Will’s intent with Skip or Skip’s intention with us, so I’m simply speculating like the rest of us on this chat.