Youngsown Postgame

After Leemire's final game last season, we recognized that the 08-09 Niners would be a much more balanced team.
Too bad Bobby didn't realize it.

[QUOTE=bball49er;371730]Yeah whatever. Donā€™t try and defend that offensive defensive effort. Our starters and regular rotations got plenty of minutes. Thatā€™s one of the worst defensive efforts Iā€™ve ever seen. Lutz made it a point to pull a couple of players out of the game and yell at them for missing assignments. I heard he wasnā€™t impressed with them dropping a c-note on the Penguins.

We did however cover the spread.

:49ers:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we were very lazy on the defensive end way too often yesterday. Thatā€™s what bothered me the most. We gave up way too many easy baskets and they had way too many wide open looks for 3.

Overall, Iā€™m happy with the win. We are slowly but surely improving. Hope we can pick up the pace a bit.

In no way shape or form am I defending our defensive effort yesterday. It was poor.

this game killed our RPI...we were around 170, now we are at 198! :huh:

and donā€™t say its too ā€œearlyā€ to look at RPI.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen a win drop you 25 places

our SOS is now 161 :unhappy::unhappy:

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_216_Men.html

Did it really drop 25 from the start of the game to the end of the game? Wow. Or was it from Friday to Sunday? Only reason I mention it is because I know it was a bad Saturday for our past opponents. I believe 5 of them lost on Saturday.

Yeah, we were very lazy on the defensive end way too often yesterday. That's what bothered me the most. We gave up way too many easy baskets and they had way too many wide open looks for 3.

Overall, Iā€™m happy with the win. We are slowly but surely improving. Hope we can pick up the pace a bit.

Lazy is a good way to put it. Our perimeter defenders get caught flat-footed with hands by their sides quite a bit. And how many times did we have two and even three guys in a small area while leaving a jump shooter wide open? And yes, our front line players didnā€™t rotate well either. Thatā€™s why they got several easy looks down low. It was disturbing to say the least. Good thing we were playing the Penguins.

[QUOTE=JoeSixPack;371727]If I get a chance between now & the 30th, I will try to clone a few people for LIU. Do you have a particular number in mind that you want me to reach?
[/QUOTE]

ā€¦a million!

okay no really - I meant where were you as in ā€œI canā€™t hear youā€. The 40! 9ers! chant was just really depressingā€¦ and thats my favorite!

I didnā€™t see the game but I read box scores, Utterā€™s blog, etcā€¦

Hereā€™s my take
-Donā€™t say ā€œItā€™s just Youngstown Stateā€ because earlier this year I wouldnā€™t be so sure about our chancesā€¦ a win is win and move on guys.
-Harris leading scores I like because it shows teams he is not just going to dump to somebody else.
-Hopefully we can continue this little streak we got going on.

[QUOTE=Jersey Niner32;371764]
-Harris leading scores I like because it shows teams he is not just going to dump to somebody elseā€¦[/QUOTE]

This is an interesting comment Iā€™ve heard from a few people. But let me ask - is it better that they think he is? I donā€™t think he missed a single shot from the field yesterday (that didnā€™t at least result in a foul).

So - the question is do we want tight coverage on harris bc of his scoring threat, or do we want teams to be lax on him so that he can occasionally come out and do what he did today? It really goes either way, for obvious reasons, Iā€™m just interested to see what everyone else thinks.

Too bad Bobby didn't realize it.
jeez give it a rest
Lazy is a good way to put it. Our perimeter defenders get caught flat-footed with hands by their sides quite a bit. And how many times did we have two and even three guys in a small area while leaving a jump shooter wide open? And yes, our front line players didn't rotate well either. That's why they got several easy looks down low. It was disturbing to say the least. Good thing we were playing the Penguins.
thx wooden

we have won 3 in a row - 2 qaulity winsā€¦
I agree we lack in alot of things that are Lutzā€™ fault, but damn can you not save the rants for losses?

[QUOTE=bball49er;371732]Too bad Bobby didnā€™t realize it.[/QUOTE]

He must have realized something. 3 wins in a row, 2 on the road. we could drop 150 on UNC-CH and youā€™d complain about the trainer or something.

I think you may complain more than my grandma.

[QUOTE=gotLutz;371712]I know weā€™re used to this from the Winston-Salem Journal, but I found it especially irritating.

The Akron Beacon Journal (near Youngstown) and the Winston-Salem Journal both ran the identical AP stories for the game. The only difference is that WSJ went through [B]each and every[/B] ā€œCharlotteā€ and changed it to ā€œUNC Charlotteā€ or ā€œUNCCā€ā€¦

[B][URL=http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&ct=us/6-0&fp=494f1eb0070dbe74&ei=OjxPSajwLozK8ASK0LWRDw&url=http%3A//www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/dec/22/unc-charlotte-romps-100-80-extends-winning-streak-/&cid=1282240518&usg=AFQjCNGXoLRMhJqk-kTQnRuZ1DOcSkTxkA]WSJ: UNC Charlotte romps 100-80, extends winning streak to three[/URL][/B]
[B][URL=http://www.ohio.com/news/ap?articleID=1318442&c=y]Akron: Charlotte beats Youngstown State 100-80[/URL][/B]

Frankly, Iā€™ve had enough of this. The Charlotte AD should be contacting this arrogant joke of a paper and let them know what theyā€™re doing is petty and disrespectful. Enough is enough.[/QUOTE]

Most schools have a sports information person to let papers know about proper names, etc. Do we?

This is an interesting comment I've heard from a few people. But let me ask - is it better that they think he is? I don't think he missed a single shot from the field yesterday (that didn't at least result in a foul).

So - the question is do we want tight coverage on harris bc of his scoring threat, or do we want teams to be lax on him so that he can occasionally come out and do what he did today? It really goes either way, for obvious reasons, Iā€™m just interested to see what everyone else thinks.

I see where youā€™re going.

Harris making buckets does not necessarily mean his effectiveness as a PG goes down. Shooting wise, Harris went 5-5 and dropped 20 points. PG wise, he had 8 assists. The two went hand in hand last night.

Harris probably wonā€™t be dropping 20 points a game from now on. But having a PG who is a scoring threat is a good thing, and will always be a good thing. It attracts defenders to him, which opens up the other 4 Niners on the floor. And with Harrisā€™ speed, he has the ability to dish the ball to those other 4 guys. And with the makeup of this yearā€™s team, any 4 of those guys can score.

WOW GL, that IS ridiculous, I honestly can't believe it. Someone from the AD should get in touch with the WSJ.
Most schools have a sports information person to let papers know about proper names, etc. Do we?

I wrote to Judy and got a response early in the morning. She shares our frustration with the WSJ, and implied that theyā€™ve been in touch with the WSJ previously. She said the Associate AD for Media Relations, Tom Whitestone, will contact them again about the matter.

Harris looking for his offense a little more often is a good thing. But, Iā€™ll say it again, He was lighting up a guy his size. Most nights, he gives up a few inches.

That just proved what a great player he is for a guy his size. Heā€™s a pretty darn good player for any size. $.02

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;371781]Harris looking for his offense a little more often is a good thing. But, Iā€™ll say it again, He was lighting up a guy his size. Most nights, he gives up a few inches.

That just proved what a great player he is for a guy his size. Heā€™s a pretty darn good player for any size. $.02[/QUOTE]

Yep. Will be interesting to see how he fairs agains Vasquez from the Terps.

yall remember Logan for Cinci? He was about 5-10 and was a great PG. He had a phenomenal handle on the ball and could dagger you with a medium range jumper.

I suspect Dewey will be on him alot. There is no way Harris can defend him, its a 8 inch difference.

yeah, Dew & Anjuan. Iā€™m curious about the offensive end. Is Dijuan going to use his quickness and attack the basket??

Good point. Vazquez is 6-6, 190. Harris is 5-9 175. Damn.

Vazquez is a beast from Venezuela. Led the ACC in assists last year. He leads the Terps in scoring, averaging 17 points a game. The emphasis will be on the PG. I hope we have a plan to help Harris and contain Vazquez. The man is a baller.